Berkley Edwards Grad Transfers to Michigan for 6th Year of Eligibility

Berkley Edwards

RISobZt.jpg

Lightning in a bottle.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

He had that one nice run that one time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting as he had 6 carries for 15 yards at CMU. Family deal? Is there a younger Edwards coming up?

Lightning in a bottle...heh. Who else from that era? Gentry couldn’t get healthy. Krizancic went to Ohio to be a QB and medically retired. Gant switched to track. Holland couldn’t get going and transferred down. Jeff Jones has all the talent, but issues. Wolitarsky, Maye, Maxx, Cobb, Smith, Brooks all had or have had flashes. Streveler went undeveloped.

Interesting as he had 6 carries for 15 yards at CMU. Family deal? Is there a younger Edwards coming up?

Lightning in a bottle...heh. Who else from that era? Gentry couldn’t get healthy. Krizancic went to Ohio to be a QB and medically retired. Gant switched to track. Holland couldn’t get going and transferred down. Jeff Jones has all the talent, but issues. Wolitarsky, Maye, Maxx, Cobb, Smith, Brooks all had or have had flashes. Streveler went undeveloped.
Don't forget Donvahn Jones and then you have guys like Jamel Harrison and Andre McDonald.

Don't forget Donvahn Jones and then you have guys like Jamel Harrison and Andre McDonald.

Poster child for basketball skills not transferring to the gridiron.

Jamel Harbison looked promising but he transferred WAY down IIRC. Andre McDonald...really frustrated for him. The importance of parents, mentors, friends with keeping guys like McDonald and Jones on the right track cannot be overstated. Wasted talent.

Poster child for basketball skills not transferring to the gridiron.

Jamel Harbison looked promising but he transferred WAY down IIRC. Andre McDonald...really frustrated for him. The importance of parents, mentors, friends with keeping guys like McDonald and Jones on the right track cannot be overstated. Wasted talent.

Out of curiosity I looked up Jamel Harbison. He transferred to a place I had never heard of called Mars Hill University, a mediocre D-II (they went 6-5 and 5-6 his two years there).

Mars Hill moved him to RB, where he became the starter as a senior and rushed for 1095 yards and 10 TD's (5.0 YPC). It looks like he was also either a wildcat or trick play runner, as he threw three passes in each of his junior and senior years. 3 of the 6 total passes went for TD's. He didn't do much in the receiving department, averaging 1.5 catches per game as a starter.

It's crazy to me that a guy with 7 or more P5 offers and rated the #32 WR in the nation (by ESPN...I know, I know) can have such a drastic change in his career arc when it doesn't seem like there were character issues.

Out of curiosity I looked up Jamel Harbison. He transferred to a place I had never heard of called Mars Hill University, a mediocre D-II (they went 6-5 and 5-6 his two years there).

Mars Hill moved him to RB, where he became the starter as a senior and rushed for 1095 yards and 10 TD's (5.0 YPC). It looks like he was also either a wildcat or trick play runner, as he threw three passes in each of his junior and senior years. 3 of the 6 total passes went for TD's. He didn't do much in the receiving department, averaging 1.5 catches per game as a starter.

It's crazy to me that a guy with 7 or more P5 offers and rated the #32 WR in the nation (by ESPN...I know, I know) can have such a drastic change in his career arc when it doesn't seem like there were character issues.

When it comes to an individual player, recruiting is a crapshoot. When you evaluate ratings vs performance over large statistical sample sizes (hundreds of players), it becomes more clear.

I was very high on Berkley Edwards at one time.

I'm trying to remember what happened with Edwards. He had a decent freshman season in 2014, then in 2015 he only played in 2 games and had 5 rushes for 29 yards, one of which being a 21 yard rush. Was he hurt that year? I know he used the "closer to family" excuse when he went to CMU. Did he think he'd get more PT, did Jerry run him out, what happened? I seem to remember him being in Jerry's doghouse for some reason, but maybe I'm misremembering?

Being he only rushed the ball in four games for CMU (and had one rush each in three of those games, three in the other) I can't imagine he'll sniff the field for MI on offense unless it's an absolute blowout. Maybe punt return, he had 15 returns for 261 yards.

Playing patsies is stats-stuffing season and makes a lot of guys look good. Big Ten games are where the rubber hits the road.

I'm trying to remember what happened with Edwards. He had a decent freshman season in 2014, then in 2015 he only played in 2 games and had 5 rushes for 29 yards, one of which being a 21 yard rush. Was he hurt that year? I know he used the "closer to family" excuse when he went to CMU. Did he think he'd get more PT, did Jerry run him out, what happened? I seem to remember him being in Jerry's doghouse for some reason, but maybe I'm misremembering?

Being he only rushed the ball in four games for CMU (and had one rush each in three of those games, three in the other) I can't imagine he'll sniff the field for MI on offense unless it's an absolute blowout. Maybe punt return, he had 15 returns for 261 yards.

He just wasn't that good.

Great speed but couldn't catch, poor lateral agility and too small. If he could catch, he would have been a valuable weapon we weren't able to get him out in the open field because of it.

He just wasn't that good.

Great speed but couldn't catch, poor lateral agility and too small. If he could catch, he would have been a valuable weapon we weren't able to get him out in the open field because of it.

At most schools there is nothing easy about being a student athlete and for him to do this for 6 years is that much tougher. good for him.

He had that one nice run that one time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His dropped catch at the start of the 4th Qtr in the Citrus Bowl is etched into my memory. Had gotten behind the defender and ML laid it in over the top. Nothing but green between him and the end zone...right through his hands. Gophs would have taken lead.

I get your point and realize i am being a little nit picky here, but the guys in bold had more than flashes. Maye also had a very good and consistent senior year. Maye made the best of virtually every opportunity. Rodney has been solid with a Senior season coming up. IMHO they had more than flashes.

((Hides Maroon and Gold colored glasses)).

I always hoped we could get a dump off pass to him at some point that let him hit the gas, but we never did it.

I get your point and realize i am being a little nit picky here, but the guys in bold had more than flashes. Maye also had a very good and consistent senior year. Maye made the best of virtually every opportunity. Rodney has been solid with a Senior season coming up. IMHO they had more than flashes.

((Hides Maroon and Gold colored glasses)).

Maxx was probably the biggest splash playmaker of that group. Cobb was incredibly consistent and durable and had that uncanny ability to find the hole but maybe not a splashy guy, Smith is poised to take the next step to greatness after suffering in poor offenses the last several years, and Brooks is maybe my favorite out of all of them due to his surly aggressiveness and fight but he's been crippled by injury which is a travesty. Maye turned into a good receiver by the time he finished.

Maxx was probably the biggest splash playmaker of that group. Cobb was incredibly consistent and durable and had that uncanny ability to find the hole but maybe not a splashy guy, Smith is poised to take the next step to greatness after suffering in poor offenses the last several years, and Brooks is maybe my favorite out of all of them due to his surly aggressiveness and fight but he's been crippled by injury which is a travesty. Maye turned into a good receiver by the time he finished.

Maxx was a great player and had some great moments, but in terms of explosive plays I'll take Brooks' greatest hits over any of the others.

That's not to say he's the best player. He's likely going to be the only of the four (Maxx, Cobb, Smith) that won't get drafted, and justifiably so.. But as PJ would say, "elite conversion of power to speed". Watching him absolutely destroy Purdue may be one of my favorite games in Gophers' history.

Maxx was a great player and had some great moments, but in terms of explosive plays I'll take Brooks' greatest hits over any of the others.

That's not to say he's the best player. He's likely going to be the only of the four (Maxx, Cobb, Smith) that won't get drafted, and justifiably so.. But as PJ would say, "elite conversion of power to speed". Watching him absolutely destroy Purdue may be one of my favorite games in Gophers' history.

I dunno...Maxx with the toe drag and hurdling plays were spectacular. Brooks Purdue game was the same.

i truly believe if Berkley Edwards had caught that deep pass from Mitch in the 3rd Quarter of the Citrus Bowl his career path would have been different.

Whether he'd have lasted more than a year who knows...but certainly a better shot the next season.

The Gophers needed that completion to match Mizzou's trick play at the start of the half. It was not Edwards' fault that the ball was thrown such that he was looking directly into the sun over his shoulder to catch it. He ran the route and beat the AK defender straight up...just couldn't close the play.

Still, it was a great scheme if only it had been executed.

Wishing him luck. Also, Maxx was insane in that game.

Again solid points with which I agree. Though Maxx was often flashy, I don't think we win the game against Michigan without Maxx(best example?). He made big play after big play. When I think consistency I think of opportunities to make plays verse big plays made. My memory can definitely be challenged, but I don't think Maxx missed many opportunities to make plays if it was at all possible to make one.Mitch really missed him.

His dropped catch at the start of the 4th Qtr in the Citrus Bowl is etched into my memory. Had gotten behind the defender and ML laid it in over the top. Nothing but green between him and the end zone...right through his hands. Gophs would have taken lead.

We can look back and there are a lot of "what ifs" when it came to Mitch throwing the ball.

As far as Edwards in the Citrus Bowl, I remember there being a debate about wether the sun was in his eyes or not. I was in the camp that he should have caught that ball and the drop probably helped seal his fate as far as playing time goes.

Best of luck to him...again.

Thankfully we don’t play them this year so we won’t have to endure all the revenge talk.

Top Bottom