Williamsport, PA skill player Treyson Potts commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Williamsport, PA running back Treyson Potts. He chose the Gophers over offers from Virginia, Syracuse and Rutgers. Potts is a player who can be used in a variety of different ways within Minnesota’s offense. He rushed for 2,016 yards and 37 touchdowns during his sophomore season. He missed last season with a torn ACL, but will be returning for his senior season.

I wouldn’t peg Potts into one specific position like running back because of his athletic profile and 5-foot-10, 180-pound frame. He could be used in a similar way to Rams and Cowboys WR Tavon Austin, who carved out his career as a spark plug style player. They differ from a traits standpoint, but can be used in a similar way.

Potts can be deployed in the screen game via jet sweeps, and the option game to name a few examples. In this offensive system, it is important to have as many players who can make plays in space. Kirk Ciarrocca ran a high volume of bubble and flare screens out of run-pass option looks at Western Michigan. The Gophers don’t have this type of player profile outside of Jornell Manns, but he is more of a pure slot wide receiver. Potts can handle some of these duties and be a mismatch threat player.

He shows off his ability to create and accelerate to the edge when he runs delayed draws and pistol sets. Potts is tough to bring down because of his cut angles in space as he pushes into traffic. He broke numerous tackles on runs and maintained balance when running through tight creases and traffic. This is when he showed off all of his agility and jump cuts to redirect. Potts can feel rushing lanes well, but sometimes becomes too patient as a runner, which could get him into trouble. Potts will likely be someone who flexes into the slot and is used as jack-in-the-box style player in Minnesota’s offense.

Potts is now the 18th player to commit to the Gophers in the 2019 recruiting class.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6066216/583f66b55b3cda204c42534b' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perhaps a little risk due to his ACL. However he is young therefore rehab will be fine. Believe he will be a good player for us. Welcome!

Love the addition! Chose us over P5 schools! Fleck & Co. doing work!

3 [emoji294] University, formerly known as the University of Minnesota. [emoji57][emoji41]

The Gophers have received a commitment from Williamsport, PA running back Treyson Potts. He chose the Gophers over offers from Virginia, Syracuse and Rutgers. Potts is a player who can be used in a variety of different ways within Minnesota’s offense. He rushed for 2,016 yards and 37 touchdowns during his sophomore season. He missed last season with a torn ACL, but will be returning for his senior season.

I wouldn’t peg Potts into one specific position like running back because of his athletic profile and 5-foot-10, 180-pound frame. He could be used in a similar way to Rams and Cowboys WR Tavon Austin, who carved out his career as a spark plug style player. They differ from a traits standpoint, but can be used in a similar way.

Potts can be deployed in the screen game via jet sweeps, and the option game to name a few examples. In this offensive system, it is important to have as many players who can make plays in space. Kirk Ciarrocca ran a high volume of bubble and flare screens out of run-pass option looks at Western Michigan. The Gophers don’t have this type of player profile outside of Jornell Manns, but he is more of a pure slot wide receiver. Potts can handle some of these duties and be a mismatch threat player.

He shows off his ability to create and accelerate to the edge when he runs delayed draws and pistol sets. Potts is tough to bring down because of his cut angles in space as he pushes into traffic. He broke numerous tackles on runs and maintained balance when running through tight creases and traffic. This is when he showed off all of his agility and jump cuts to redirect. Potts can feel rushing lanes well, but sometimes becomes too patient as a runner, which could get him into trouble. Potts will likely be someone who flexes into the slot and is used as jack-in-the-box style player in Minnesota’s offense.

Potts is now the 18th player to commit to the Gophers in the 2019 recruiting class.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6066216/583f66b55b3cda204c42534b' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

per Randy:

The 5-10, 182-pounder is a three-star prospect and is the No. 13-ranked all-purpose back nationally in the Class of 2019 by the 247Sports.com composite ratings of major recruiting services. Potts did not play in his junior season because of a torn anterior cruciate knee ligament, but he drew the attention of recruiters when he rushed for 2,017 yards and 37 touchdowns as a sophomore for the Millionaires.

Potts, who made an official visit to the Gophers on Monday, received scholarship offers from nine FBS programs, including Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Virginia and Connecticut. He is the 18th player in the Class of 2019 to commit to coach P.J. Fleck’s program. The Gophers are ranked No. 19 nationally and third in the Big Ten in the 247Sports composite ratings.

http://www.startribune.com/pennsylvania-running-back-treyson-potts-commits-to-gophers/486060062/

Go Gophers!!

Slot receiver, kick returner. Won't make it as a B1G RB, too small.

Slot receiver, kick returner. Won't make it as a B1G RB, too small.

5'10 182 lbs as a junior in HS. He may grow an inch or two, but he's more likely to gain approximately 20lbs, he'll play at 200 to 205. We've had RB's play successfully at that weight.

5'10 182 lbs as a junior in HS. He may grow an inch or two, but he's more likely to gain approximately 20lbs, he'll play at 200 to 205. We've had RB's play successfully at that weight.

That was my first thought too, his body could change a lot between now and freshman year, especially if he red shirts.

Welcome to the gophers! Can always use athletes!

I love these little jerk APBs. He’ll be the spitting image of Jacquizz Rodgers coming out of high school after he gets some meat on those legs. Hope his knee hold up.

Note: looks like he’s a legit 5 foot 10 but he moves like a smaller guy. Love it.

From a Potts discussion on a Notre Dame board (ducks head)

Plays on a very good 6A team that lost to Pittsburgh Central Catholic in the State Quarterfinals. Even in the top class Potts is putting up crazy numbers through his first two years. Soph Stats:

14 G ... 187 car ... 2016 yds ... 10.8 ypc ... 34 TD ... 18 rec ... 263 yds ... 2 TDs

He's not an burner, runs 11.3's 100m and tested ok at the Opening:

5-10 - 182 lbs

4.57 - 40

4.56 - Shuttle

30.5 - PB

30.4 - Vert

Sounds to me like a KJ Maye type of player. Sounds like a good addition and it’s been fun watching this class come together.

Congrats to Treyson! He is another kid with torn ACL that the Gophers are taking a chance on. He is worth taking a chance on his knee holding up.

I think we've got ourselves a future special teamer to return kickoffs and punts. He's got the patience, shifty moves, the vision, and quick acceleration. Furthermore, I see the possibilities to open up the offense with him in a wildcat or other formations. If we have guys that can catch the ball, and with guys like him in the backfield, the Gophers may have a boatload of weapons. He may be somewhat like a Percy Harvin type of versatile player. We shall soon see.

He may become a 4-Star by the time he's done playing HS football.

per Randy:

The 5-10, 182-pounder is a three-star prospect and is the No. 13-ranked all-purpose back nationally in the Class of 2019 by the 247Sports.com composite ratings of major recruiting services. Potts did not play in his junior season because of a torn anterior cruciate knee ligament, but he drew the attention of recruiters when he rushed for 2,017 yards and 37 touchdowns as a sophomore for the Millionaires.

Potts, who made an official visit to the Gophers on Monday, received scholarship offers from nine FBS programs, including Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Virginia and Connecticut. He is the 18th player in the Class of 2019 to commit to coach P.J. Fleck’s program. The Gophers are ranked No. 19 nationally and third in the Big Ten in the 247Sports composite ratings.

http://www.startribune.com/pennsylvania-running-back-treyson-potts-commits-to-gophers/486060062/

Go Gophers!!

Who wants to be a Millionaire?

Barry Sanders was on the smaller size (relative to football).

Walter Payton was 5’10 200
18 ilbs heavier and this kid is in high school.

He absolutely could be a big ten back.

Thurman thomas 5’10 205
Emmit smith 5’9 205-210
Barry sanders 5’8 200

Woe to anyone who, after reading his profile, bangs on Potts - and pans this commitment.

My inclination is to compare him to Tony Dorsett, another PA running back. BUT, I'm going to try to be more like SON and say, "Let's not get all excited about this kid until he has played in the BIG."

My inclination is to compare him to Tony Dorsett, another PA running back. BUT, I'm going to try to be more like SON and say, "Let's not get all excited about this kid until he has played in the BIG."

I'm going to go with Marshall Faulk

3 [emoji294] University, formerly known as the University of Minnesota. [emoji57][emoji41]

Again, you just reinforce that you are an A-hole! People are just passing info about a new recruit and you just use it to criticize the U. Troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, you just reinforce that you are an A-hole! People are just passing info about a new recruit and you just use it to criticize the U. Troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
efd8882449cbad2c2bbcd18a19caa3b5.jpg

Top Bottom