Travis or Crandall? Which De La Salle grad transfer would you rather have?

Which would you rather have?

• Reid Travis - Big man depth - starter

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • Geno Crandall - PG depth - starter?

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
He is neither quick nor explosive but he more than gets the job done. He is a bruiser down low, extremely strong, is great at finishing through contact and has great low post moves and touch around the basket.

The fact that he averaged over 19 PPG and 8.7 RPG last year and over 17 PPG and 8.9 RPG the year before and was first team all pac 12 is what makes him such an attractive option for Kentucky.

Many of the players they recruit look better than Travis. Very few of the players they recruit actually are better college players than what Travis is now.

Interesting that you are happy that a likely projected first or second team All American is not choosing the gophers. I would be thrilled if a guys who averaged 19 and 9 and shot 54% from the field in a major conference that has the intelligence to graduate from a world renowned institution decided to transfer to the gophers. Maybe thats just me though.

He is no NBA player right now and likely won't be anything better than a backup but he is a helluva college player. His lack of hops and mechanical style of basketball (both true) haven't hindered him whatsoever at this level.

well said

I am really tired or R. Travis. I saw some Stanford highlights and the guy does not look all that quick or explosive, so what makes him so attractive to Kentucky? They recruit a bunch of HS seniors every year that look better than Travis.

Highlights are an awful way to evaluate a player. Not even close to being reliable. Reid Travis is a beast and routinely makes post defenders look like children. He will do the same at Kentucky, but you and some others on here will still think he sucks just because he went to Stanford.

I am real happy he is not coming to MN, I think he is highly over hyped, plus lacks hops and plays a real mechanical style of basketball. Is he some Clay Thompson type of shooter at 6 8? I must have missed that because he is no NBA player right now.

Are you a Badger fan? Why are you happy that we aren't getting one of the best players in college basketball? Also, what does him not being an NBA player right now have to do with us or Kentucky wanting him? Why would either team care? A ton of dominant college players don't pan out in the NBA.

Also I realized that their Delasalle team started five D1 guys.

PG: Jarvis-Gophers
SG: Crandall-UND
SF: Sacar Anim-Marquette
PF: Josh Collins-UND
C: Reid Travis-Stanford/Kentucky
6th Man:Goanar Mar-George Mason

per Shama:

Crandall, Travis, Talked U Transfer

It’s not that well-known but the Golden Gophers might have started next season with high profile grad transfers and Minneapolis natives Geno Crandall and Reid Travis in their starting lineup. Crandall’s decision to choose Gonzaga over Minnesota is a national story this summer and the former North Dakota guard told Sports Headliners about the background to his process in choosing a school that included communications with Travis who is leaving Stanford to play his final season of college basketball at Kentucky.

Crandall describes Travis as his “best friend,” and the two have played basketball together since they were five years old. They played on state championship teams in high school at DeLaSalle. Earlier this year the two texted about playing for the Gophers in their hometown. “We talked…about it and gave it some thought,” Crandall said.

Crandall averaged 16.2 points per game last season for the Fighting Hawks, leading the team in scoring. The 6-foot-3 Crandall was second-team All-Big Sky for the second consecutive season. Travis averaged 19.5 points and 8.7 rebounds for Stanford. The 6-foot-8 forward was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection.

The Gophers have a roster talented enough to prompt speculation they could earn their way into the NCAA Tournament next season. But with Crandall and Travis they could have been a Big Ten title favorite. “Oh, yeah, no doubt,” Crandall said.

Crandall believes Travis was influenced in choosing Kentucky because of the program’s national exposure and reputation for sending players on to the NBA. Those were factors that resonated with Crandall, too, in choosing Gonzaga.

The Zags are expected to be a top 10 team nationally. Crandall’s goal is to help the Bulldogs earn their way through the 2019 NCAA Tournament to the Final Four in Minneapolis. He knows how special it could feel playing for a national title in his home city.

Gonzaga has an opening for playing time in its starting backcourt. The path to playing time appeared more direct to him than at Minnesota where the Gophers have experienced players at both point and shooting guard. Those players include grad transfer Brock Stull from Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The decision to choose Gonzaga wasn’t easy. He thought a lot about both Minnesota and Xavier where former Gopher assistant coach and DeLaSalle player Ben Johnson now works.

“Honestly, it was probably the toughest decision I ever had to make in my life,” Crandall said. “The first time around, coming out of high school, it wasn’t such a hard decision because I didn’t have too many offers, or too many programs that I really loved.

“But it was an extremely tough decision to say no to the hometown team that I grew up watching. (Minnesota) coach (Richard) Pitino, I think he’s really building something special. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem in the cards for me for what I was looking for my last year…”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom