Travis or Crandall? Which De La Salle grad transfer would you rather have?

Which would you rather have?

• Reid Travis - Big man depth - starter

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • Geno Crandall - PG depth - starter?

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Reid was a solid 5* recruit and is looking at Kentucky and Villanova. 6'9" big man put up great numbers in the Pac12.

or Geno who was a overlooked recruit and made all-conference twice for UND. 6'3" shooter and PG.

I'm inclined to say Geno since we only have 1 PG but may have 2 if the Pitt transfer is cleared to play right away. If only we knew what the NCAA were thinking.

Reid would be a walk in the door starter without a doubt. Geno could bump IW out of the starting spot, but so could the Pitt kid if he is given the chance.

Lol is this even a question? Travis is one of the best players in the NCAA. He is also not coming here.

Geno is a good player and a good fit, but in a fantasy world you take Travis 10/10 times

I think it's a question. Yes Reid is the better player, but he needs someone to bring the ball up the court. Since the Pitt transfer's eligibility is up in the air, we may be only one deep at the point. We all know how that works out. See Nolen, Al and Hoffarber, Blake!

I don't think Carr's eligibility is really a question. There is maybe a 5% chance he is eligible for the 18-19 season. Not really worth talking about.

I'd take Reid Travis in a heartbeat.

I'd vote both. We'd win the Big Ten and be a final four caliber team if Pitino pulled that off.

Travis was actually 4 stars.

To answer the question, I'd take him easily. This team would all of a sudden be very dangerous.

Lol is this even a question? Travis is one of the best players in the NCAA. He is also not coming here.

Geno is a good player and a good fit, but in a fantasy world you take Travis 10/10 times

The gap between Reid and Murphy is so much more close then Geno to what we currently have at guard.

The gap between Reid and Murphy is so much more close then Geno to what we currently have at guard.

Curry would be the comparison to Reid as he would be the one getting demoted to the bench if he came Reid. The gap between Reid and Curry is much greater than the gap between Geno and Isaiah.

Also the answer to this question is easily Reid. He will be a preseason All American and is the best transfer in the country and one of the best returning players.

If we got Reid I'd say screw it and play Reid, Murphy, Curry, Coffey, and (fill in the blank with your favorite guard - mine is Stull). I know the defensive matchups would be terrible so I'd just play a 2-3 zone. Pound it inside on offense, and kick it out to Stull or Coffey for a three when it's there. We'd be +20 or more in rebounding every night.

This feels a bit like asking if a team with no back-up QB would rather have a good back-up QB or a great WR. It might seem obvious, but it's not.

Why not both? Maybe they want a High school reunion.

Both in State Residents, NCAA allows them to split it.

As much as I would like to see the Minnesota Islanders (Travis, Crandall and Kelecheur), we would have to run(Crean) off another player to make that happen.

Who would that be? Hurt? Kalesheur? Omersa? One of the new transfers?

All choices would ruin Pitino's credibility in recruiting.

GenoCrandall. Admit I’ve never seen Reid play - a small person I am for refusing to watch players who leave Minnesota for other pastures.
I just feel much better about our front court than point guard situation at this point. Go Sioux!
(Do realize Geno is also from Minnesota but we didn’t recruit him so not his fault for going elsewhere.).

GenoCrandall. Admit I’ve never seen Reid play - a small person I am for refusing to watch players who leave Minnesota for other pastures.
I just feel much better about our front court than point guard situation at this point. Go Sioux!
(Do realize Geno is also from Minnesota but we didn’t recruit him so not his fault for going elsewhere.).

Well, first of all, I don't think it makes much sense for someone in Reid's position to come here (unless, of course, he wanted to play in his home base - but that didn't seem to be a big factor in his original recruitment choice and he could have transferred here previously if he wanted to). Secondly, if I were a coach, I don't know why I'd want to recruit a one-year player who would be competing directly with my best player who is also in his final year of eligibility, especially when I have other roster needs.

As for Crandall, I'd like him to come here but, after reading what he needs to do to graduate this summer, I'd rate his chances of achieving grad transfer status at the end of the summer as 50/50 at best. I hope Pitino has a Plan B. Perhaps Crandall could finish in the fall if he doesn't this summer and would miss the first semester. That wouldn't be ideal but it certainly would be better than leaving the roster space open.

Travis to Kentucky. done deal

I honestly didn't want Reid Travis. I know he's a great player, but MN wasn't his choice four years ago, and he clearly doesn't care much for the program even today. Geno grew up being a Gopher fan and has always wanted to be here. I'll take a good player who really wants wear maroon and gold versus a great player who's been lukewarm about the program from the beginning.

Anyone that answers a question like this and doesn't pick Travis has had the state of Gopher football and basketball ruin their ability to answer a hypothetical question lol.

"Looking for a school, the biggest thing that I wanted was to align both my academic and my athletic interests."

Oh...so that's how Kentucky became his top choice. Academics! Now this decision is all so clear.

Whose ass is he trying to blow this smoke up? :rolleyes: BTW, how is Duke still the favorite?

I'm picking Crandall since Reid announced for Kentucky

Well, first of all, I don't think it makes much sense for someone in Reid's position to come here (unless, of course, he wanted to play in his home base - but that didn't seem to be a big factor in his original recruitment choice and he could have transferred here previously if he wanted to). Secondly, if I were a coach, I don't know why I'd want to recruit a one-year player who would be competing directly with my best player who is also in his final year of eligibility, especially when I have other roster needs.

As for Crandall, I'd like him to come here but, after reading what he needs to do to graduate this summer, I'd rate his chances of achieving grad transfer status at the end of the summer as 50/50 at best. I hope Pitino has a Plan B. Perhaps Crandall could finish in the fall if he doesn't this summer and would miss the first semester. That wouldn't be ideal but it certainly would be better than leaving the roster space open.

Agreed. Would not be good to not have a plan B if Geno isn't a sure thing. Still think Crandall is on the way, though.

After that fiasco four years ago when Travis told everyone he was coming here, then pulled the rug out, I wouldn't trade the waterboy for him if I were Pitino. Who knows the damage that caused to program in terms of the recruiting opportunity costs of focusing on that two-face.

I don't know why people thought he was an option as a grad transfer in the first place. He didn't put a millisecond of thought into coming back here.

A taste of his own medicine in terms of unfulfilled promises from that slime ball Calipari would be a fitting end to his college career.

Whatever the case, some character in that kid. All he does is bail for perceived greener pastures at the first opportunity. Wouldn't want him in my fox hole.

After that fiasco four years ago when Travis told everyone he was coming here, then pulled the rug out, I wouldn't trade the waterboy for him if I were Pitino. Who knows the damage that caused to program in terms of the recruiting opportunity costs of focusing on that two-face.

I don't know why people thought he was an option as a grad transfer in the first place. He didn't put a millisecond of thought into coming back here.

A taste of his own medicine in terms of unfulfilled promises from that slime ball Calipari would be a fitting end to his college career.

Whatever the case, some character in that kid. All he does is bail for perceived greener pastures at the first opportunity. Wouldn't want him in my fox hole.

I’ve met Reid and know some people who know him pretty well. By all accounts, he seems like a great guy. I was and still am extremely disappointed he didn’t come here, but it’s not like he went to Wisconsin. He got a world class education and is now trying to win a championship. It’s too bad he’s not doing that with us, but good for him.

I’ve met Reid and know some people who know him pretty well. By all accounts, he seems like a great guy. I was and still am extremely disappointed he didn’t come here, but it’s not like he went to Wisconsin. He got a world class education and is now trying to win a championship. It’s too bad he’s not doing that with us, but good for him.

I am really tired or R. Travis. I saw some Stanford highlights and the guy does not look all that quick or explosive, so what makes him so attractive to Kentucky? They recruit a bunch of HS seniors every year that look better than Travis.

I am real happy he is not coming to MN, I think he is highly over hyped, plus lacks hops and plays a real mechanical style of basketball. Is he some Clay Thompson type of shooter at 6 8? I must have missed that because he is no NBA player right now.

\

I am really tired or R. Travis. I saw some Stanford highlights and the guy does not look all that quick or explosive,

He is neither quick nor explosive but he more than gets the job done. He is a bruiser down low, extremely strong, is great at finishing through contact and has great low post moves and touch around the basket.
so what makes him so attractive to Kentucky?

The fact that he averaged over 19 PPG and 8.7 RPG last year and over 17 PPG and 8.9 RPG the year before and was first team all pac 12 is what makes him such an attractive option for Kentucky.

They recruit a bunch of HS seniors every year that look better than Travis.

Many of the players they recruit look better than Travis. Very few of the players they recruit actually are better college players than what Travis is now.

I am real happy he is not coming to MN

Interesting that you are happy that a likely projected first or second team All American is not choosing the gophers. I would be thrilled if a guys who averaged 19 and 9 and shot 54% from the field in a major conference that has the intelligence to graduate from a world renowned institution decided to transfer to the gophers. Maybe thats just me though.
I think he is highly over hyped, plus lacks hops and plays a real mechanical style of basketball. Is he some Clay Thompson type of shooter at 6 8? I must have missed that because he is no NBA player right now.

He is no NBA player right now and likely won't be anything better than a backup but he is a helluva college player. His lack of hops and mechanical style of basketball (both true) haven't hindered him whatsoever at this level.

Not sure why we are spending time thinking what if..... move on, he did. There are better choices for the Gophers.

Top Bottom