Mark Gautschi on Oturu: "I think has a chance to play in the NBA.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Mark Gautschi, the reputable boys basketball coach at St. Anthony Village and Cretin-Derham Hall, on Gophers-bound 6-foot-10, 220-pound Daniel Oturu: “Nobody changes the game at the rim like him — it’s not even close. He’s the only kid I’ve coached in 38 years who I think has a chance to play in the NBA.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/16/charley-walters-2/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Mark Gautschi, the reputable boys basketball coach at St. Anthony Village and Cretin-Derham Hall, on Gophers-bound 6-foot-10, 220-pound Daniel Oturu: “Nobody changes the game at the rim like him — it’s not even close. He’s the only kid I’ve coached in 38 years who I think has a chance to play in the NBA.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/16/charley-walters-2/

Go Gophers!!

Shot blocker? We'll take him!

Getting stronger will be a key for Oturu that is why the shoulder injury is tough. This summer would of been nice to work on getting Big 10 strong. He has great timing on his shot blocking very good instincts. Oturu got better every year in high school he will be a good player.

Mark Gautschi on Oturu: "I think has a chance to play in the NBA.”

Getting stronger will be a key for Oturu that is why the shoulder injury is tough. This summer would of been nice to work on getting Big 10 strong. He has great timing on his shot blocking very good instincts. Oturu got better every year in high school he will be a good player.

This injury, if it heals properly, is not as big of a deal as people seem to be taking it. He will still be able to work out. He can lift lower body/core and work on aerobic conditioning, which for a post player, are the most important areas for strength and conditioning. Sure it's not ideal, but it's a lot better than a knee or ankle injury.

This injury, if it heals properly, is not as big of a deal as people seem to be taking it. He will still be able to work out. He can lift lower body/core and work on aerobic conditioning, which for a post player, are the most important areas for strength and conditioning. Sure it's not ideal, but it's a lot better than a knee or ankle injury.

+10

Oturu is way more athletic than Lynch ever was. Lynch had very skilled hands for shotblocking and unorthodox shots around the basket. Lynch had issues moving laterally. Oturu can really move laterally.
Oturu probably won't average the blocks Lynch did but could end up being a better overall defender. Oturu plays above the rim.

Agreed. Never really thought until now but for a basketball player an upper body injury might be a more frustrating injury vs a lower body since a BB player probably gets such an itch to shoot the ball after a while. Perhaps some shooting can be done and can be low impact if done in a controlled manner.

I heard Lebron's HS coach said the same thing. Duh!

He's 6'10" and athletic! Of course he could play in the NBA. Stupid thread.

It is June 10 and about 140-150 days until Gopher BB play begins. I think it is a simple and enjoyable thread.

I heard Lebron's HS coach said the same thing. Duh!

He's 6'10" and athletic! Of course he could play in the NBA. Stupid thread.

Chillax, Otis...I think it's good to hear feedback from the coaches on our recruits. I can't wait to watch Oturu, Omersa and Kalscheur play this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched Oturu live. He dismantled Ben Carlson so badly I wouldn’t have been surprised if Carlson permanently quit basketball after that game. It was one of the most lopsided matchups I have ever seen. At any level.

I think Oturu plays in the NBA.

Stupid thread.

Sorry for starting a "stupid thread" - I figured since we haven't had a player drafted since The Hump, any positive reviews touting an incoming recruit would be a "non stupid thread" but apparently not.

More than anything, I try to title my threads with as much description as possible so that those that think one of my threads is stupid, don't have to waste their time in clicking into the thread and reading it, let alone also posting in it. So in this case, I titled the thread: Mark Gautschi on Oturu: "I think has a chance to play in the NBA.”

If you thought this thread was about anything other than Mark Gautschi's opinion of Oturu let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive next time so you don't have to waste your time on such stupid threads. :cool:

Go Gophers!!

Sorry for starting a "stupid thread" - I figured since we haven't had a player drafted since The Hump, any positive reviews touting an incoming recruit would be a "non stupid thread" but apparently not.

More than anything, I try to title my threads with as much description as possible so that those that think one of my threads is stupid, don't have to waste their time in clicking into the thread and reading it, let alone also posting in it. So in this case, I titled the thread: Mark Gautschi on Oturu: "I think has a chance to play in the NBA.”

If you thought this thread was about anything other than Mark Gautschi's opinion of Oturu let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive next time so you don't have to waste your time on such stupid threads. :cool:

Go Gophers!!

Bravo Bleed, you are a very valuable resource for GH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oturu is way more athletic than Lynch ever was. Lynch had very skilled hands for shotblocking and unorthodox shots around the basket. Lynch had issues moving laterally. Oturu can really move laterally.
Oturu probably won't average the blocks Lynch did but could end up being a better overall defender. Oturu plays above the rim.

In terms of athleticism, the biggest difference between Lynch and Oturu is how quickly they can get up and their second jump. Lynch had ok leaping ability but he had to really launch himself to get a nice liftoff whereas Oturu doesn't really need to prime himself, he just gets up more quicker, a lot like Rodney. Also his second jump is much more quick. He doesn't have elite level leaping ability like Jarvis, Rodney or Mbakwe but in terms of how quickly he elevates in the blink of an eye and how quick his second jump is, that I would say that is elite.

Also I have said this before and I will say this again, Oturu in terms of his offensive skill set is not raw at all. He is extremely advanced for a 6-10 HS center. His footwork and touch are light years better than what Lynch, Konate, Diedhou, Nwankwo when he was committed), Eliason etc. all showed in HS. He has a very fundamentally sound low post game and doesn't just rely on size and athleticism.

Ben Carlson the sophmore? I am sure Oturu didn't light it up against the top big man in the state as a sophmore either.

I watched Oturu live. He dismantled Ben Carlson so badly I wouldn’t have been surprised if Carlson permanently quit basketball after that game. It was one of the most lopsided matchups I have ever seen. At any level.

I think Oturu plays in the NBA.

Oturu is either the 5th or 6th ranked center in the entire class. Not sure where the others you listed were ranked if they even were. Oturu is not ranked higher because he lacks athleticism. His is top notch. The centers ahead of him have more skill at this stage, or are bigger. People need to clarify when comparing him to Lynch. How will Oturu be as a 19 year old freshmen versus Lynch as a 22 and 23 year old performed. Reggie really developed with those 4-5 years.

Also I have said this before and I will say this again, Oturu in terms of his offensive skill set is not raw at all. He is extremely advanced for a 6-10 HS center. His footwork and touch are light years better than what Lynch, Konate, Diedhou, Nwankwo when he was committed), Eliason etc. all showed in HS. He has a very fundamentally sound low post game and doesn't just rely on size and athleticism.

Oturu is either the 5th or 6th ranked center in the entire class. Not sure where the others you listed were ranked if they even were. Oturu is not ranked higher because he lacks athleticism. His is top notch. The centers ahead of him have more skill at this stage, or are bigger. People need to clarify when comparing him to Lynch. How will Oturu be as a 19 year old freshmen versus Lynch as a 22 and 23 year old performed. Reggie really developed with those 4-5 years.

Don't know how touch will translate going up against Big Ten defenders but Oturu as a HS senior I would say had better footwork and a more smooth, fluid low post game than Reggie did as a a 5th year college senior. Reggie did have good touch though and was ultimately able to get the ball in the basket at a decent rate when he did post up but Oturu's game is much more aesthetic at this point.

Go Gophers!!

Don't worry bleed, far more want you to start threads like this than those that don't. Like many, Otis will jump back on the bandwagon after a 3 game win streak

Go Gophers!!

Sorry. It's not. I was just a little cranky and think the coach was stating the obvious.

Top Bottom