Anonymous coach on Fleck's 'rah-rah stuff:' "it’s genuine”

Are we really at a place where we see someone with Fleck's personality and we can't even imagine how it could possibly be annoying to some people? Really? This place is absolutely insane.

Take Dick Vitale, from everything I've ever read, heard, that is his genuine personality. It's over-the-top, he talks in cliches, and frankly, it's a little "too much" for some people. I would hope you would understand how Dick Vitale could possibly be annoying to people.

Now use that exact thought process on PJ Fleck.

Plus it’s hard not to roll your eyes when you hear things like PJ telling two different running backs (in the same class, no less) that if they come to MN, he thinks they’ll win the Heisman. I think the risk is for some parents their “bull**** detector” would be alarming within 2 minutes of this guy recruiting their kid.
The only thing PJ has ever said that I believe to be 100 % honest, is when he’s admitted that he’s not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus it’s hard not to roll your eyes when you hear things like PJ telling two different running backs (in the same class, no less) that if they come to MN, he thinks they’ll win the Heisman. I think the risk is for some parents their “bull**** detector” would be alarming within 2 minutes of this guy recruiting their kid.
The only thing PJ has ever said that I believe to be 100 % honest, is when he’s admitted that he’s not for everyone.

I don't follow recruiting fanatically, and I have to admit I haven't read too many articles or Tweets lately, but which RB recruits did he tell he thinks they could win a Heisman?....links?
Thanks.

Eleven, actually. He also misspoke about the junior class, saying 15-16 instead of 18.

MY fear isnt so much he’s just fibbing to make the roster seem worse than it really is, but that he actually isn’t a “details” guy like a Belichick or Saban or Patterson or Leach, etc. He may be the Jobs but who’s the Woz?

How are you getting to 18? I counted 16, plus 1 more with Renner getting one during the spring game.

Brock and Wiley. In their 24/7 visit recaps. Brock’s was something crazy like Fleck told him he thinks he could go for 2000+ yards and win the Heisman as a soph!

Brock and Wiley. In their 24/7 visit recaps. Brock’s was something crazy like Fleck told him he thinks he could go for 2000+ yards and win the Heisman as a soph!

It all depends upon the context. Obviously, Fleck isn’t going to guarantee some kid is going to get 2,000 yds. I would think it would be more of the “hey, with the lineman that were are getting you could get a couple thousand yards and win the Heisman”. In more of a wishful way.

Are we really at a place where we see someone with Fleck's personality and we can't even imagine how it could possibly be annoying to some people? Really? This place is absolutely insane.

Take Dick Vitale, from everything I've ever read, heard, that is his genuine personality. It's over-the-top, he talks in cliches, and frankly, it's a little "too much" for some people. I would hope you would understand how Dick Vitale could possibly be annoying to people.

Now use that exact thought process on PJ Fleck.

Of course not! We all can get annoyed with some of his antics, but not all of us are obsessed with trying to tear him down.
You need a strongly driven and positive person to shift a program from the “also rans” to a top tier program. PJ is the type of person that can do that, let’s hope he can.

Neither one has committed to us, and it's doubtful they will both be Gophers.

What do you want him to tell a recruit? Work your a$$ off and you might be 2nd string by the time your a senior?

I remember Clemson promised a recruit a few years ago that they would get the first hand-off of the season if they committed. The recruit did, got the first carry of the season and fumbled. I think it may have even been the difference in the game.

Of course not! We all can get annoyed with some of his antics, but not all of us are obsessed with trying to tear him down.
You need a strongly driven and positive person to shift a program from the “also rans” to a top tier program. PJ is the type of person that can do that, let’s hope he can.

It's a message board and the majority feel PJ has no faults. I'm hopeful PJ gets us past 8 and 9 win seasons. He has the advantage of more money to spend and facilities unlike any in Gopher history. He recruited a very nice class last year. We have a QB commit this year who seems superior on paper to predecessors. There is absolutely great things about PJ.
The players and coaches who have left after one season have me temper some of those.

Somebody needs to point out the inconsistencies PJ demonstrates to the blindly faithful. I certainly have not reached any conclusion he won't win here.

What do you want him to tell a recruit?.

Well if you promise everyone the moon, most will be sorely disappointed. It’s similar to the whole “early playing time” promises. PJ is working on his third 25 man recruiting class. At some point the whole “you can come here and be a game changer from day one” bit is gonna ring hollow.

What do you want him to tell a recruit? Work your a$$ off and you might be 2nd string by the time your a senior?

I remember Clemson promised a recruit a few years ago that they would get the first hand-off of the season if they committed. The recruit did, got the first carry of the season and fumbled. I think it may have even been the difference in the game.

I heard you could just laugh at recruits when they talk about doing big things at Minnesota

Well if you promise everyone the moon, most will be sorely disappointed. It’s similar to the whole “early playing time” promises. PJ is working on his third 25 man recruiting class. At some point the whole “you can come here and be a game changer from day one” bit is gonna ring hollow.

He promised him that he would rush for 2000 yards and win the Heisman?

It's a message board and the majority feel PJ has no faults. I'm hopeful PJ gets us past 8 and 9 win seasons. He has the advantage of more money to spend and facilities unlike any in Gopher history. He recruited a very nice class last year. We have a QB commit this year who seems superior on paper to predecessors. There is absolutely great things about PJ.
The players and coaches who have left after one season have me temper some of those.

Somebody needs to point out the inconsistencies PJ demonstrates to the blindly faithful. I certainly have not reached any conclusion he won't win here.

Thanks for always being here for us 60's guy. When I go home to my PJ shrine tonight, I'll be sure to temper my enthusiasm with your analysis...

Post the quotes so we can see. Saying somebody "thinks" he could do something is far different from "promising" or "guaranteeing" someone can do something. It is absolutely a factual statement that Brock could go for 2,000+ yards and win the Heisman as a sophomore. Both of those items are in the realm of things that are possible.

I heard you could just laugh at recruits when they talk about doing big things at Minnesota

This didn't happen and bringing it up is even more stupid than ripping on Fleck for making meaningless "promises" to recruits that aren't actually promises.

It's not at all like early playing time promises. Fleck has direct control over that - more control than anyone else on planet Earth. Fleck has no control over the output produced during that playing time. Oh and, again, suggesting that something might happen is not a promise that it will happen.

Maybe I'm hopelessly naive - but I would hope that any recruit considering the U of MN is going to choose the school, and the football program, for valid reasons - not because the coach may (or may not) be dishing out hype. I would hope that recruits are intelligent enough to choose a school that is the best fit for them in terms of athletics, academics and the intangibles (the campus, facilities, things to do in the community, etc.)

An official visit is like a job interview. A recruit is making a decision that will impact the next 4 or 5 years of their life, and potentially the rest of their life in terms of career opportunities. I suspect the vast majority of D1 recruits are savvy enough to know when a coach is feeding them a line.

In other words, if a kid chooses a school because the coach said (joking or not) that the kid will gain 2,000 yards and win the Heisman, then I'm not sure that kid is sharp enough to cut it in college.

Twist the semantics however you want - promises vs guarantees vs thinks vs hope vs whatever.

Is it possible, sure. Is it likely... well we can each make our minds about that.

The fact is, by bringing up 2K yds and a Heisman trophy during recruiting is nothing more than pumping hype and stroking egos.

"Coach Burns thinks I can come in and be an elite factor as a freshman. The opportunity will be here for me at Minnesota. Coach Fleck has told me that he wants me to be a guy to come in and believe that he can be a Heisman Trophy winner as a sophomore and rush for 2.000 yards.

There is the exact quote from his 24/7 interview. Sorry if pasting this now pisses off people cuz it violates a paywall.

Again no big deal, I’m sure most recruiters are sunshine pumpers. Like I said in my initial post - it is worthy of an eye roll. Man, you Flecksters are a defensive bunch!

Twist the semantics however you want - promises vs guarantees vs thinks vs hope vs whatever.

It isn't semantics. They're not even close to the same thing.

The fact is, by bringing up 2K yds and a Heisman trophy during recruiting is nothing more than pumping hype and stroking egos.

Stroking the ego of someone you want to come play for you, making them feel good about themselves, hyping them up? Oh no, not that, anything but that!! Fleck should probably be executed for his crimes against humanity.

"Coach Burns thinks I can come in and be an elite factor as a freshman. The opportunity will be here for me at Minnesota. Coach Fleck has told me that he wants me to be a guy to come in and believe that he can be a Heisman Trophy winner as a sophomore and rush for 2.000 yards.

There is the exact quote from his 24/7 interview. Sorry if pasting this now pisses off people cuz it violates a paywall.

Again no big deal, I’m sure most recruiters are sunshine pumpers. Like I said in my initial post - it is worthy of an eye roll. Man, you Flecksters are a defensive bunch!

Making fun of stupid sh1t that you get your panties in a twist about doesn't make me or anyone else a Fleckster.

You gotta have dreams to reach an elite level. Painting pictures for kids, articulating visions you can see they can't or don't dare express is coaching. Pretty sure PJ is excellent at that part. He did it for the WR at WMU and some linemen.
We need somebody at Minnesota to go round one and he's off to the races. The hard part of coaching is making it happen for the player you are talking to. You have to believe it as a coach, you can't just say it. Then it's your job to make it happen for the kid.

Anonymous coach on Fleck's 'rah-rah stuff:' "it’s genuine”

My bad. How could I have ever considered Dpo a fleckster??? I would try to contribute more to this board, but my twisted panties are really gonna need my full attention!

Of course PJ has several advantages such as new facilities and increased emphasis on athletics, but don’t be ridiculous to claim that anyone thinks that PJ has no faults. Supporting a coach and not being obsessed with every inconsistency is not the same as drinking the Kool Aid! It is so annoying that a select few feel that they have to constantly educate us sheep that support our team.

How are you getting to 18? I counted 16, plus 1 more with Renner getting one during the spring game.

Brooks hasn’t been counted in the 11 seniors (although he’s listed as a Sr. on the roster but will be medically redshirting) so I’m putting him in with the Jrs. He’s also listed there on the Rivals scholarship grid. If you want to put Brooks in with the Srs that’s fine. Then we have 12 seniors and 17 juniors instead of 11 and 18. If there are any corrections please point out.

Of course PJ has several advantages such as new facilities and increased emphasis on athletics, but don’t be ridiculous to claim that anyone thinks that PJ has no faults. Supporting a coach and not being obsessed with every inconsistency is not the same as drinking the Kool Aid! It is so annoying that a select few feel that they have to constantly educate us sheep that support our team.

Just asking him to change his best.

if you got Fleck promising 2000yds and a Heisman out of that the problem is in your reading comprehension.

Of course he wants him to believe he can, why would he ever put someone on the team who believed they were only good enough for twelve carries for 22 yds?

Every person you hire should be gunning for your job, if they aren't the bad is on you.

Top Bottom