Anonymous coach on Fleck's 'rah-rah stuff:' "it’s genuine”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Like it or not, expect to hear more in 2018 from Fleck about his culture and process in building his program after last year’s 5-7 record that followed a 9-4 in 2016. The 37-year-old, who was 1-11 his first year coaching at Western Michigan and 8-5 in his second, usually has plenty to say as Athlon noted in an anonymous quote from a coach at another school.

“I know P.J. Fleck rubs some people the wrong way with that rah-rah stuff, but it’s genuine,” the coach said. “He’s a positive energy, positive thoughts guy.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Like it or not, expect to hear more in 2018 from Fleck about his culture and process in building his program after last year’s 5-7 record that followed a 9-4 in 2016. The 37-year-old, who was 1-11 his first year coaching at Western Michigan and 8-5 in his second, usually has plenty to say as Athlon noted in an anonymous quote from a coach at another school.

“I know P.J. Fleck rubs some people the wrong way with that rah-rah stuff, but it’s genuine,” the coach said. “He’s a positive energy, positive thoughts guy.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Rah-rah sis boom bah and positive thoughts, Pasadena here we come!

I don't think anyone has ever questioned whether it was genuine.

The real question is whether it will be effective at a power 5 conference. Jim Wacker was the most positive guy in the world, with success at a lower level of play. He couldn't make it work at MN. Fleck still has time to show that he can get it done.

The real question is whether it will be effective at a power 5 conference. Jim Wacker was the most positive guy in the world, with success at a lower level of play. He couldn't make it work at MN. Fleck still has time to show that he can get it done.

Bingo.

Pete Carroll is a rah rah type coach in the pros. Some people like it, some people don't. College kids are no different as to what they like.

I don't think any particular schtick works or doesn't work, whether it's Kill's country boy thing, Claeys personality-vacuum or PJ's rah-rahness.

I don't think any particular schtick works or doesn't work, whether it's Kill's country boy thing, Claeys personality-vacuum or PJ's rah-rahness.

Very true. Most successful HC's counter-balance their personal coaching style with assistants whose styles are different.

I think a lot of posters and people in the media have questioned whether it's genuine.

The times PJ says positive things it is awesome. My problem, (yes I know) is that much of what he says is not positive. It's negative excuses followed by... but we are excited. His constant exaggeration (sacrificed to take this job, 9 scholarship seniors etc) and emphasis on what he doesn't have, his whoa is me spin on what he inherited. Almost always he leads with a negative he has to overcome to get to a positive.
"6 head coaches in 8 years" is all about PJ, not the program.....and it is false. But it says, "Please give me more time before you fire me too."
Farmers Alliance is a foundation of PJ's culture. Yet, 100% PJ ignores it. Mason last coached in 2006...never mind he was here for 10 years. Brewster was here 4 years...yes he got fired and Horton coached 5 games. Kill was here 5 years.
Claeys for a year and a half...then PJ. It's all BS... like a lot of his spin to protect himself. Be nice if it was accurate. When he is positive and truthful he is sensational....just not very often.

The times PJ says positive things it is awesome. My problem, (yes I know) is that much of what he says is not positive. It's negative excuses followed by... but we are excited. His constant exaggeration (sacrificed to take this job, 9 scholarship seniors etc) and emphasis on what he doesn't have, his whoa is me spin on what he inherited. Almost always he leads with a negative he has to overcome to get to a positive.
"6 head coaches in 8 years" is all about PJ, not the program.....and it is false. But it says, "Please give me more time before you fire me too."
Farmers Alliance is a foundation of PJ's culture. Yet, 100% PJ ignores it. Mason last coached in 2006...never mind he was here for 10 years. Brewster was here 4 years...yes he got fired and Horton coached 5 games. Kill was here 5 years.
Claeys for a year and a half...then PJ. It's all BS... like a lot of his spin to protect himself. Be nice if it was accurate. When he is positive and truthful he is sensational....just not very often.

Oh BS! Here's a segment that is so negative according to your standards. Ya, he doesn't hesitate to remind us where the roster was weak, but so what? Then some people got bent out of shape arguing it was actually 10 instead of 9, but seriously?

You've gotten pissed all sorts of times because you simply don't care for the man. You have no trouble picking up the one or two lines that you can label as negative or excuse making and miss the guy's basic outlook. That's actually pretty hilarious because you lecture GH'rs on the basketball thread for being too pessimistic.

BTW, those seniors you're convinced that PJ has damaged for life? He says on the show that they will be the ones that lead the way.

PJ: we took 7 OL for a reason. when we got here - only had 4 scholarship linemen healthy. took 7 linemen to create depth. we'll take 2 or 3 in 19 class. after that, should be able to have numbers back. couldn't fix every issue in one year. OL is a priority. WR is a priority. DB is a major priority. DL is a priority. one class doesn't fix it. the players in the program are working hard. making huge strides. highest GPA in history of program. doing a tremendous job in the community.

Oh BS! Here's a segment that is so negative according to your standards. Ya, he doesn't hesitate to remind us where the roster was weak, but so what? Then some people got bent out of shape arguing it was actually 10 instead of 9, but seriously?

You've gotten pissed all sorts of times because you simply don't care for the man. You have no trouble picking up the one or two lines that you can label as negative or excuse making and miss the guy's basic outlook. That's actually pretty hilarious because you lecture GH'rs on the basketball thread for being too pessimistic.

BTW, those seniors you're convinced that PJ has damaged for life? He says on the show that they will be the ones that lead the way.

PJ: we took 7 OL for a reason. when we got here - only had 4 scholarship linemen healthy. took 7 linemen to create depth. we'll take 2 or 3 in 19 class. after that, should be able to have numbers back. couldn't fix every issue in one year. OL is a priority. WR is a priority. DB is a major priority. DL is a priority. one class doesn't fix it. the players in the program are working hard. making huge strides. highest GPA in history of program. doing a tremendous job in the community.

I agree Mulligan! Well said!!!!

So true. He takes everything as negative and concocts some conspiracy about how it shows PJ as a bad coach. Time to get over it. He is going to have such a deep hole to crawl out of when the Gophers are winning under Fleck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh BS! Here's a segment that is so negative according to your standards. Ya, he doesn't hesitate to remind us where the roster was weak, but so what? Then some people got bent out of shape arguing it was acttually 10 instead of 9, but seriously?

Eleven, actually. He also misspoke about the junior class, saying 15-16 instead of 18.

MY fear isnt so much he’s just fibbing to make the roster seem worse than it really is, but that he actually isn’t a “details” guy like a Belichick or Saban or Patterson or Leach, etc. He may be the Jobs but who’s the Woz?

Most of the anti-fleck people I know dislike BECAUSE they think it's genuine.

I call BS! When people says he is full of BS or that it is over the top, a shtick, etc.. they don’t believe it is genuine.

Seems like this thread is another rehash of what we've had before. Never ends.

I call BS! When people says he is full of BS or that it is over the top, a shtick, etc.. they don’t believe it is genuine.

Are we really at a place where we see someone with Fleck's personality and we can't even imagine how it could possibly be annoying to some people? Really? This place is absolutely insane.

Take Dick Vitale, from everything I've ever read, heard, that is his genuine personality. It's over-the-top, he talks in cliches, and frankly, it's a little "too much" for some people. I would hope you would understand how Dick Vitale could possibly be annoying to people.

Now use that exact thought process on PJ Fleck.

Eleven, actually. He also misspoke about the junior class, saying 15-16 instead of 18.

MY fear isnt so much he’s just fibbing to make the roster seem worse than it really is, but that he actually isn’t a “details” guy like a Belichick or Saban or Patterson or Leach, etc. He may be the Jobs but who’s the Woz?

It's pretty simple...think he uses nine or 11 scholarships to replace those seniors?

LOL. This is like people in the Middle Ages reading animal entrails to decipher a bleak future. Lighten up. It's only a game.

LOL. This is like people in the Middle Ages reading animal entrails to decipher a bleak future. Lighten up. It's only a game.

You couldn't decipher his post? Which nuances were lost on you?

Are we really at a place where we see someone with Fleck's personality and we can't even imagine how it could possibly be annoying to some people? Really? This place is absolutely insane.

Take Dick Vitale, from everything I've ever read, heard, that is his genuine personality. It's over-the-top, he talks in cliches, and frankly, it's a little "too much" for some people. I would hope you would understand how Dick Vitale could possibly be annoying to people.

Now use that exact thought process on PJ Fleck.

Right on the money! The University of Minnesota Football Porgram will get exactly what it deserves with P J Fleck. Right now, he is a 5-7 non-bowling coach. 2018 gives him a chance to alter that very accurate perception. Analysis of talk at this point is a fool's game. Talk is so cheap. What is music to some ears is ugly noise to other ears. Your Dickie V reference is PERFECT!

In the end, only the Big Ten record speaks the truth...IS the truth...and will show us exactly what the administration at the University of Minnesota deserves for making the moves with the football program they have made.

Fleck will be exactly what his record says he is as the University of Minnesota head football coach. No more. No less. No better. No worse. Fleck will be here for at least five more years if he wants to be here. It will be very interesting to see how he is perceived by people on this board five years down the line if he doesn't decide to establish a culture and his trademark oar at some other program before these next five years have expired. He will always be exactly what his record defines him as. Beat that stinking badger, GOPHER.

Top Bottom