Q&A: Amir Coffey on injury recovery, analysis of new coaches, in-coming freshmen

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

GS: What have you been working on since the season ended?

AC: For me, it was just really getting back. Obviously, dealing with the injury, it was a lot of range of motion stuff. As time went on, I started getting my strength back. I started doing more stretching and just started weight training. And, obviously, when I could start shooting, I had a lot of work to do because I haven't shot in so long. Just about getting the basics back with my shooting and dribbling.

GS: How is the recovery process going?

AC: It's going well. I actually just had another doctor’s meeting this past week and they said I’m a little ahead of schedule. It’s obviously a long process, but so far it’s been good and everything is on track.

GS: What kind of advice have you gotten from Coach Pitino heading into the summer?

AC: Just keep pushing. Any injury will be a long road untll you’re back. So just stay positive and do what you need to do to get back as soon as possible.

GS: Speaking of staying positive, how have you been able to do that?

AC: I’ve been through this before. I broke my right leg in high school, tore my left ACL, so this isn’t my first time doing this. Really just going through the process was something I had to do again, and I understood I had to do that just to get back on the court, which is the main thing that I want to do. The first time was pretty tough, and the second time sucked, but the third time was like, “Here we go again.” Just keep it pushing, and get better to get back on the court.

GS: What are your impressions of new assistant coaches Kyle Lindsted and Rob Jeter?

AC: They’re cool. Coach Jeter is a funny guy, and they’re both good coaches. Our first practice was yesterday. I could tell that they both knew what they were talking about, because that was my first time being in a basketball environment with them. And it felt like they had some good drills.

GS: You’ve had a chance to see the freshmen now in practice. Any early thoughts?

AC: They definitely looked better than I did during my first practice as a freshman (laughs). I think they add a lot to our team as pieces. Jarvis is incredibly talented. He’s super athletic, he was doing some dunks in practice I haven’t seen even on YouTube. Gabe is an awesome shooter. And Daniel, he’s coming back from injury, but I’ve seen him play a little in high school and I know he can help us out. But, it looked pretty good, and they’re smart. Like I said, when I was a freshman at my first practice it was a little rough and they definitely looked better than me when I was a freshman.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061418aab.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom