ESPN: Oklahoma St AD challenges HC Mike Gundy to finish higher in recruiting rankings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Looks like the OSU AD has cast his ballot on the stars vs offers debate. Per ESPN:

Longtime Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder would like to see football coach Mike Gundy aim higher in recruiting.

Appearing on the Pistols Firing podcast earlier this week, Holder praised Gundy's success but said he wants the coach "to do a little more in recruiting."

Gundy, a former Oklahoma State quarterback, is the school's all-time coaching wins leader with a 114-53 record in 13 seasons.

"He's really matured into a difference maker as a coach," Holder said on the podcast. "I would approach recruiting a little differently than he does. I'd want to finish higher in those recruiting rankings than we consistently do. I think that ultimately puts a ceiling on what you're able to achieve."

Oklahoma State's 2018 recruiting class finished 32nd in ESPN's national rankings. Previous classes have ranked 35th, 46th, 34th, 28th and 27th. Gundy has coached the Cowboys to three consecutive 10-win seasons, six 10-win seasons in the past eight, and six AP top-20 finishes since 2010.

"At the end of the day, Boone Pickens, Mike Holder and Mike Gundy all want the same thing," Holder said, referring to Oklahoma State alum and mega-booster Pickens, whose name is on the school's home stadium. "We may not always agree on the best course to get there, but at the end of the day, Boone Pickens and I have always deferred to Mike Gundy because he's the guy in charge. He's the one that will have the wins and losses next to his name in the record book, and that deserves autonomy over how you run your football program.

"I would just say, 'Mike, you've got to change your thinking on recruiting a little bit.' That would be all. I think sometimes we settle when we don't have to. But I'm not out there recruiting, and I have no idea how to recruit football players."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...d-mike-holder-wants-mike-gundy-recruit-better

Go Gophers!!

...Sounds like a perfect candidate for the CFP committee.

I guess OSU does not have very good bag men or car dealer connections.

Sounds to me like the real problem is Boone. He needs to up the ante to land those top recruits.

Sounds to me like the real problem is Boone. He needs to up the ante to land those top recruits.

Yeah, I mean if you have some rich donor like that who isn't willing to pony up the cash in the south, what's even the point?

Those are good recruiting classes and they've developed/coached them up consistently over the past 10 years or so. One losing season...his first. Sounds like the AD has a solution in search of a problem...

When you consider all of circumstances, OSU has totally outperformed any reasonable expectations.
This guy is taking the first step in a sequence that would have them replacing Mike Gundy with a Tim Brewster.

(Without cheating) there’s only one way for OSU to go from here.

Top Bottom