Video: This kid is 6’10" and only 12 years old

BleedGopher

Reaction score
No idea why they are playing on 8-foot hoops, but wow:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

No idea why they are playing on 8-foot hoops, but wow:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

And in this video, hes actually 8'10.

This league plays on 8 foot hoops. I guess in Europe, 12 year olds and under play on 8'

I love the one where he throws it over the back of his head from two feet away for a nice splash, works every time

The answer to why 8 foot hoops for under 12?

To develop good shooting habits. Learn the fundamentals first which lead to success. As strength comes as the kids age, then the hoops go higher, but the fundamentals stay.

To develop good shooting habits. Learn the fundamentals first which lead to success. As strength comes as the kids age, then the hoops go higher, but the fundamentals stay.

8' is pretty low for 12 year old's. Hard to develop good habits/shooting form trying to go over a 6'-10" guy!

USA Basketball recently created guidelines;

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/03/youth-rules-and-standards.aspx

https://youthguidelines.nba.com/

8' hoops for 7-8 years of age - 27.5" ball.
9' height for 9-11 - 28.5" ball.

My favorite:
No 3-point field goal scoring for ages 7-8 and ages 9-11.

Eliminating 3-point field goals for the younger age segments encourages players to shoot from within a developmentally-appropriate distance

Every elementary school in the country should have their hoops set to ~8'-6"...

I'm not sure why the assumption is that 8-foot hoops for 12-year olds is more helpful in developing fundamentals. As someone that coaches youth basketball, the overwhelming majority of 10-year olds (let alone 12 year olds) are fine on 10-foot hoops, fundamentals and all.

Go Gophers!!

I'm trying to figure out why he's playing at that level. It's funny to watch, but totally ridiculous.

Interesting, hadn't seen those, thanks for posting.

I haven't seen most of those recommendations adopted, so I'd be curious what type of influence this governing body has on youth basketball. Whereas the United States Tennis Association put through some radical changes to youth development about 10 years ago and those have been universally adopted across the country.

Go Gophers!!

Since it was just released in March. I wonder if MYAS will adopt those guidelines for their youth basketball leagues.

No chance.

Go Gophers!!

I figured I'd ask. In my head the logistics of moving hoops up and down for different games and finding places that had the ability to do that would be potentially a challenge.

My son never played with an 8' rim. They started at 9' here in Maryland.

This kid's parents should make the league let him play up to the next level for his own good. Amazing that the other kid on the white team doesn't look much smaller!

I was more impressed with the coordination of this kid at 6'10 and 12 years old than anything else. A lot of high school aged kids who are that size struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time. I would guess that his size ends up being a detriment to him at some point, but he's clearly living his best life now! He'll have some Al Bundy like stories, with video to prove it, at the very least.

I've seen numerous posts about moving this kid up. In many cases, schools do not allow elementary students to participate on junior high (grade 7-8) teams. There are school board policies and liability issues that prevent elementary aged students from playing on junior high teams. That is most likely the case here. He will have plenty of time to "play up" in the next couple of years.

Top Bottom