STrib: Who's feeling the heat, and who's not in BT (Give them time: Fleck, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Give them time

P.J. Fleck, Gophers: No, Fleck’s 5-7 record in his Minnesota debut didn’t wow the Gophers faithful, but athletic director Mark Coyle approves of the direction the program is going and gave the coach a one-year extension in November. Fleck is winning on the recruiting trail. Eventually, that must result in victories on the field.

http://www.startribune.com/looking-...nd-who-s-not-among-big-ten-coaches/485571521/

Go Gophers!!

per Randy:

Give them time

P.J. Fleck, Gophers: No, Fleck’s 5-7 record in his Minnesota debut didn’t wow the Gophers faithful, but athletic director Mark Coyle approves of the direction the program is going and gave the coach a one-year extension in November. Fleck is winning on the recruiting trail. Eventually, that must result in victories on the field.

http://www.startribune.com/looking-...nd-who-s-not-among-big-ten-coaches/485571521/

Go Gophers!!
The Big Ten Conference members keep the records of all the Big Ten programs and teams as well as the coach of each member team while that coach is with a Big Ten Program. The Big Ten record will either make...or break PJ Fleck. The Gopher Program has a complete record of it's success and failures for as long as it has been a member ot the Big Ten Conference. Time and Big Ten wins will tell us MORE than enough about the PJ Fleck era at the University of Minnesota. It will not lie to us. It will not fool us with a year zero or two. EVERY Big Ten season has a record. Some gotta win...some gotta lose. It is a numbers game. To the victors go the spoils... An extension and a contract really don't mean much without conference wins. An athletic director's vote of confidence may not withstand the test of time. It may not be what it may appear to be. Talk is cheap. Wins and losses speak MUCH louder than anything spin and "true believing" can convey. Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER.

I disagree with the take on Harbaugh. He has until the end of the season and if he can't get it done against the Buckeyes, he's done. Durkin might be gone before the season starts pending the outcome of the McNair situation.

per Randy:

Give them time

Go Gophers!!

Ya know Bleedgopher, you do not get enough credit for your efforts on keeping all of us informed re: gophers sports in the media. I read this board and the other boards and your posts are the first i look for. Thanks for everything you do.

PJ needs at least 5 years

changing coaches all time isn't the answer.

What's most interesting to me is the relative stability for the coaches in the Big Ten heading into this season. I have a feeling, the heat will be on more than one coach coming in.

And I agree, changing coaches all of the time isn't the answer. Making bad hiring decisions isn't either.

PJ needs at least 5 years

changing coaches all time isn't the answer.

Then why did we fire a 9 win coach after one season? That surely can’t be good for our program, if stability is the key to winning. Or does this rule only apply to our new coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why did we fire a 9 win coach after one season? That surely can’t be good for our program, if stability is the key to winning. Or does this rule only apply to our new coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the looks of it, no other program in the country sees Claeys as a long term fit as a head coach either. A lot of people make this argument and I think I would understand it if it were Kill who had been fired but it wasn’t. Kill could coach, he could fundraise and recruiting was seemingly turning the corner in his last year here. I think Claeys fell into the perfect situation. Senior QB, stable run game, just enough talent on defense and a dream schedule. Does Claeys take us to a bowl game with what was left on the roster last year? I have a hard time seeing that considering Croft or Green were likely to start if he stuck around and the DBs were still going to be kicked out of school.

Getting fired was probably a blessing in disguise for his career considering how horrendous recruiting was going. It’s hard to see a situation where things wouldn’t have tanked with him and then the difference is you are firing him a year or two down the line with even less talent. The flame may go out on Fleck at some point but the potential compared to Claeys is undeniable and the investment from fhe underclassmen is proof of that.

From the looks of it, no other program in the country sees Claeys as a long term fit as a head coach either. A lot of people make this argument and I think I would understand it if it were Kill who had been fired but it wasn’t. Kill could coach, he could fundraise and recruiting was seemingly turning the corner in his last year here. I think Claeys fell into the perfect situation. Senior QB, stable run game, just enough talent on defense and a dream schedule. Does Claeys take us to a bowl game with what was left on the roster last year? I have a hard time seeing that considering Croft or Green were likely to start if he stuck around and the DBs were still going to be kicked out of school.

Getting fired was probably a blessing in disguise for his career considering how horrendous recruiting was going. It’s hard to see a situation where things wouldn’t have tanked with him and then the difference is you are firing him a year or two down the line with even less talent. The flame may go out on Fleck at some point but the potential compared to Claeys is undeniable and the investment from fhe underclassmen is proof of that.

This is where I always get confused. I thought the problem with Kill was he couldn't develop a quarterback, but Claeys' 9 wins are less impressive because of the great situation at QB that fell into his lap.

This is where I always get confused. I thought the problem with Kill was he couldn't develop a quarterback, but Claeys' 9 wins are less impressive because of the great situation at QB that fell into his lap.

I didn’t say it was a great situation at QB as you are right, Kill couldn’t develop a passer. Liedner was such a playmaker with his legs though that he could be the difference in some of the more evenly matched games. We probably beat Maryland and Purdue last year with Mitch don’t you think? The Iowa game would have been interesting too. Mitch allowed us to grind teams down while keeping our thin defense fresh that’s what’s was missing last year.

Top Bottom