NCAA reform eases rules on athlete transfers - ESPN

Iceland12

Reaction score
The Division I Council officially approved a new rule on Wednesday that will eliminate the permission-to-contact process when a student-athlete transfers programs. Previously, college coaches were able to block the transferring athlete from certain schools, and the athlete was required to obtain permission for schools to contact him.

That process will no longer exist come October, when a student-athlete will now have the ability to transfer without asking for permission. The new process allows the athlete to notify his current school of his desire to transfer and will then require the school to enter the student's name into a database within two business days of the request.

Upon being entered into the database, college coaches will be allowed to contact the athlete freely and without permission...

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...es-reform-allows-athletes-transfer-permission

The Division I Council officially approved a new rule on Wednesday that will eliminate the permission-to-contact process when a student-athlete transfers programs. Previously, college coaches were able to block the transferring athlete from certain schools, and the athlete was required to obtain permission for schools to contact him.

That process will no longer exist come October, when a student-athlete will now have the ability to transfer without asking for permission. The new process allows the athlete to notify his current school of his desire to transfer and will then require the school to enter the student's name into a database within two business days of the request.

Upon being entered into the database, college coaches will be allowed to contact the athlete freely and without permission...

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...es-reform-allows-athletes-transfer-permission

Interesting line from that article:

"The NCAA release does say, however, that conferences can still make rules within this process that are more restrictive than the national rule."

If you transfer between big ten schools I think you have to sit out a year. I hope that will still be the case

Interesting line from that article:

"The NCAA release does say, however, that conferences can still make rules within this process that are more restrictive than the national rule."

If you transfer between big ten schools I think you have to sit out a year. I hope that will still be the case

I hope so too. I have no problem with the rule. Some of the excuses coaches used to block players were ridiculous. I have no problem blocking schools that are either in the same conference or on the schedule within the player's remaining eligibility. Outside of that, it should be open.

I also still think PWO's should be able to transfer after their sophomore year without sitting if another school is willing to give them a scholarship and their existing isn't willing.

Top Bottom