Wow: Matz Stockman will graduate and transfer from Minnesota

A team that went 22-14 (9-9), has a returning freshmen class of one 5-star and three 4-stars, and made a massive upgrade at head coach is a "dumpster fire of a program"? Yeah, ok.

I agree with you. But if there is no fallout from the crap that went down there, then the NCAA is more of a joke than I thought they were....

I'm with you on this. I don't think others are making logical arguments. They only gave an agenda for Rick, not Richard. Nobody is debating that Rick wanted to get rid of Matz so he could get a better player. That's obvious. But why the hell would Richard eat up a scholarship just as a favor for his dad? Richard knows his depth has sucked for years, but he figured he would just be nice to his dad when Matz undoubtedly could've gone somewhere else? Also, this ridiculous favor logic implies that Rick had no problem screwing over his son. Matz is a huge guy who was once seen as promising. I think it's pretty clear that Matz just didn't end up being a serviceable player like Richard thought he would be. That wouldn't be the first time that happened with a transfer.

I find it interesting that nobody has mentioned that maybe Matz just left because he wanted to, especially considering he can now transfer without sitting out. Players transfer all the time, especially after graduating. Maybe he was expecting to be a starter or at least play big minutes, and once it seemed evident he probably wouldn't, he wanted to leave for more PT. There are endless other reasons he might've wanted to leave. Maybe the program just ended up not being a good fit for him in general.

I doubt Pitino ran him off, they will be light at the inside positions now. Maybe wasn't going to start, wanted major minutes somewhere is more likely.

I doubt Pitino ran him off, they will be light at the inside positions now. Maybe wasn't going to start, wanted major minutes somewhere is more likely.

This. I doubt Pitino ran off Matz. If he didn't tell Gaston to leave, then he wouldn't have told matz to leave. Matz likely saw low minutes and wanted to go elsewhere

This. I doubt Pitino ran off Matz. If he didn't tell Gaston to leave, then he wouldn't have told matz to leave. Matz likely saw low minutes and wanted to go elsewhere

With Diedhou, there probably wasn't a player out there that really wanted to come here that was the caliber Crandall is.

I mean Matz all of a sudden decides to transfer out three days after we bring Crandall in for a visit? I don't think thats a coincidence. Matz would have known what the front court depth chart would look like for months now. If he were transferring to get more playing time, he would have done so sooner IMO.

Why? He had to first graduate, which wasn't all that long ago (assuming he graduated in May).

Yes but he could have announced he was transferring sooner and taken visits sooner before everybody filled up while he was still taking classes.

A lot of naïveté going on here. If you think Stockman leaving doesn’t have anything to do with the potential to get Crandall (or someone else), you have your head in the sand. He was clearly the most disposable player in this scenario. Now it’s up to Pitino to not make it look completely foolish by failing to fill the open scholarship with a guy who can help the Gophers this season (not next).

A lot of naïveté going on here. If you think Stockman leaving doesn’t have anything to do with the potential to get Crandall (or someone else), you have your head in the sand. He was clearly the most disposable player in this scenario. Now it’s up to Pitino to not make it look completely foolish by failing to fill the open scholarship with a guy who can help the Gophers this season (not next).

If Pitino is deliberately running off a player for the off handed chance they might get a player that realistically has about a 20% chance of being eligible then I think it is time he is replaced, on the other hand if Pitino like any good manager is appraising someones ability and where they stand in an organization and that person decides to leave then that is what he should be doing.

A lot of assumptions and illogical reasoning going on as well. It's laughable to think that Richard took Matz as merely a favor to his dad when he could've gone elsewhere. We've had plenty of complete non-contributors in Pitino's time here, and none of them were run off. Players transfer in D1 bball all the time, especially after graduating. I think it's very possible that Pitino made it clear to Matz that he wasn't very high on the depth chart (nothing wrong with that), and Matz decided he wanted to go somewhere he could play big minutes for once in his college career. I think you're being pretty presumptuous and creating a false narrative about Pitino looking foolish if he doesn't find a key contributor with his scholarship. You've acted like it was clear cut that Matz was shoved aside for Geno, but considering his credits situation, it's looking a bit dicey. A lot of people have brought up many of these points, but you seem to just ignore them and continue your narrow-minded take on the situation.

A lot of assumptions and illogical reasoning going on as well. It's laughable to think that Richard took Matz as merely a favor to his dad when he could've gone elsewhere. We've had plenty of complete non-contributors in Pitino's time here, and none of them were run off. Players transfer in D1 bball all the time, especially after graduating. I think it's very possible that Pitino made it clear to Matz that he wasn't very high on the depth chart (nothing wrong with that), and Matz decided he wanted to go somewhere he could play big minutes for once in his college career. I think you're being pretty presumptuous and creating a false narrative about Pitino looking foolish if he doesn't find a key contributor with his scholarship. You've acted like it was clear cut that Matz was shoved aside for Geno, but considering his credits situation, it's looking a bit dicey. A lot of people have brought up many of these points, but you seem to just ignore them and continue your narrow-minded take on the situation.

+1

If Pitino is deliberately running off a player for the off handed chance they might get a player that realistically has about a 20% chance of being eligible then I think it is time he is replaced, on the other hand if Pitino like any good manager is appraising someones ability and where they stand in an organization and that person decides to leave then that is what he should be doing.

Not sure where your getting that number. Both Minnesota and Xavier coaches feel strongly he will be able to graduate, it will just be a heavy workload. If there is a 20% chance he will graduate this summer then I doubt he would have decided to transfer at all.

Also, lets say there is a 75-80% chance we get Crandall and he is eligible, I'd take that over a 100% chance that Stockman plays. Thats just a risk you have to take IMO if you want to take this team and program to the next level. The potential benefit of landing Crandall would far outweigh the downside of not having Stockman.

Not sure where your getting that number. Both Minnesota and Xavier coaches feel strongly he will be able to graduate, it will just be a heavy workload. If there is a 20% chance he will graduate this summer then I doubt he would have decided to transfer at all.

Also, lets say there is a 75-80% chance we get Crandall and he is eligible, I'd take that over a 100% chance that Stockman plays. Thats just a risk you have to take IMO if you want to take this team and program to the next level. The potential benefit of landing Crandall would far outweigh the downside of not having Stockman.

So how many 19 credit semesters did you complete in your college career, this is a compressed semester compared to a regular semester, during the year 50-50, I give him no more than 20% for summer session. Credits required for graduation are different than credits required to stay eligible, they aren't going to be Basket Weaving 101, they are going to be core program credits, I took 18 my last quarter to graduate and doing it in summer session no way.

- Crandall would be a HUGE get for gophers. Senior point guard who can distribute, score, defend. Does leave us a little thin in the frontcourt, but this is still a no brainer.
- No way of knowing for certain, but I don't think Pitino "pushed Matz out the door". Arguments of above posters are persuasive on this I think.
- 19 credits does seem a lot for summer work. On the other hand seems unlikely Pitino would open up space and these other schools would offer a visit if grad transfer was a long shot. Not sure what to think about this one.

The Norwegian Jordan

Visiting Cal, Georgia Tech, and Louisville, per Jeff Goodman.

Visiting Cal, Georgia Tech, and Louisville, per Jeff Goodman.

What the hell?! Is this guy good enough to actually play at these schools?! If so, why the hell are we letting him leave? And if he goes back to Louisville, that's the biggest crock of crap. Local media should come down on Richard if he does go back to Louisville as they benefit from a redshirt year and we get nothing.

What the hell?! Is this guy good enough to actually play at these schools?! If so, why the hell are we letting him leave? And if he goes back to Louisville, that's the biggest crock of crap. Local media should come down on Richard if he does go back to Louisville as they benefit from a redshirt year and we get nothing.

How good Stockman is in and of itself isn't relevant. The real question is who helps the team more between him and Crandall. If Crandall helps the team more, then there's no reason to "come down" on Pitino for making a move that helps the team.

We are "letting" (making) him leave to open up a spot for a far superior player at a greater position of need who by all indications, wants to be here, in order to make our team and program better.

That is why we are "letting" him leave.

So how many 19 credit semesters did you complete in your college career, this is a compressed semester compared to a regular semester, during the year 50-50, I give him no more than 20% for summer session. Credits required for graduation are different than credits required to stay eligible, they aren't going to be Basket Weaving 101, they are going to be core program credits, I took 18 my last quarter to graduate and doing it in summer session no way.

5 semesters in pharmacy school. I still had time to balance work, intramurals, fraternity life, and plenty of drinking nights. It's not difficult when you don't have a choice :) Either graduating and his basketball career are important enough for him to devote 3 months of his life or it's not. His decision. But it's not some magical, unattainable goal.

Keep in mind that Stockman's position is totally different that when he transferred to Minnesota last Spring. At that time, he was one of many transfers available and whoever took him was going to have to tie up a scholarship for two years to get one year of production. Now, he's become available in mid June as a grad transfer who is eligible immediately. If for some reason you had a scholarship open this late in the process, why not take a 7'1 guy who has high major experience? There's almost no downside now as if he doesn't produce that scholarship was likely not going to be used anyway. As for him going back to Louisville? It's a totally different staff there now, so it wouldn't be some sinister plot to get him a red shirt year at another school.

If you can’t understand that Matz Stockman is transferring because Geno Crandall makes this team better than Matz Stockman makes this team, I don’t know what to tell you.

Matz is getting looks from good schools because he’s a grad transfer and it’s late in the recruiting cycle. 100% of teams in college basketball would rather have him than an open scholarship for a year.

If you can’t understand that Matz Stockman is transferring because Geno Crandall makes this team better than Matz Stockman makes this team, I don’t know what to tell you.

Matz is getting looks from good schools because he’s a grad transfer and it’s late in the recruiting cycle. 100% of teams in college basketball would rather have him than an open scholarship for a year.

Yep, the only fans of teams with an open scholarship that wouldn't want Stockman would be the parents of the walk-ons.

Let's wait until Crandall commits...

Let's wait until Crandall commits...

Yeah, the timing here is interesting. If for some reason Crandall doesn’t come here, then we just gave away a valuable backup center for absolutely nothing.

Or, if we didn’t actually encourage Stockman to leave, then he totally screwed us over by taking the free RS here and using up a scholarship while not playing, then declaring himself a free agent. I think that scenario is unlikely though.

Also, if Curry and Oturu both manage to stay healthy the whole year and Jarvis plays ok then nobody will even remember Stockman transferring.

Also, if Curry and Oturu both manage to stay healthy the whole year and Jarvis plays ok then nobody will even remember Stockman transferring.

I'll sure as hell remember wasting a scholarship year on him and wonder who we might have had on the roster instead, including perhaps some depth that could have mitigated our in-season problem at the center position and the disastrous loss after loss after loss that I paid a season ticket price to watch. Yeah, I'll remember that.

I'll sure as hell remember wasting a scholarship year on him and wonder who we might have had on the roster instead, including perhaps some depth that could have mitigated our in-season problem at the center position and the disastrous loss after loss after loss that I paid a season ticket price to watch. Yeah, I'll remember that.

exactly

I hear the frustrations... but do you really think there was anybody with immediate eligibility worth taking at center, who was going to come here almost certainly be number 3 or 4 in line for minutes at center? The Lynch/Curry combo was going to eat 95% of those minutes.

Be mad that we didn’t have a more seasoned back up pg, shooter, or wing with that scholarship, but we could have quite possibly been one of the least attractive schools for a post transfer going into last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear the frustrations... but do you really think there was anybody with immediate eligibility worth taking at center, who was going to come here almost certainly be number 3 or 4 in line for minutes at center? The Lynch/Curry combo was going to eat 95% of those minutes.

+1

Lynch, Murphy, Curry, and Konate were not a thin front court, and Curry didn’t get hurt until late August or early September.

Top Bottom