Wow: Matz Stockman will graduate and transfer from Minnesota

According to this article https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/ from 2 years ago - "In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance."

However, I believe that once a student-athlete graduates the school may be released from its responsibility to continuing the athletic scholarship. The NCAA goal for the student-athlete is graduation.

Think of the NCAA as a body that thinks STUDENT first - then athlete. Not sure that is the case but I believe that is the image they would like to project. Therefore IMO an agreement was likely reached between Pitino and Matz. And it may be related to Crandall availability.

Just another thought - I believe Crandall and Travis were seniors together at De La Salle. Maybe they want to play together again. :)

Heard that after seeing him in practice they could see why Pitino senior let him go.

If true, this adds to the degree of fiasco to this whole thing. For him to take up a scholarship, not play a game, and now by releasing him we only have one true center (who's young and injured) - there's no good angle to view this from.

The gophers have had a 6'6" walkon named Puchtel play center in the past so that wouldn't be that unusual but not normal either.

One question I have is if we do get Crandall does that make getting a center recruited for next year a priority?. Who do we/are we targeting there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

top 50, 6-10 PF Zeke Naiji from Hokpins would be a perfect fit. Based on what other GHer's have said, it sounds like he's not necessarily leaning towards us though.

Would be great to have him backup Oturu next year with Jarvis backing up Curry at PF.

Looks like there isn't a whole lot of interest yet from other big men we've offered so far.

If true, this adds to the degree of fiasco to this whole thing. For him to take up a scholarship, not play a game, and now by releasing him we only have one true center (who's young and injured) - there's no good angle to view this from.

Villa 7

Doogie chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I'm interested in the fact that Pitino isn't getting much heat for this even though its obvious he used a scholarship for his dad essentially.

I'm interested in the fact that Pitino isn't getting much heat for this even though its obvious he used a scholarship for his dad essentially.

How is that obvious? SelectionSunday recently said essentially the same thing, but didn't respond when I asked him about it. I'm just going to copy and paste my question from that thread and maybe you can help me out as I am still very confused.

"I've asked you and others this multiple times but have never gotten a response. How was Richard taking Stockman a favor to Rick? Are you implying the only way Rick could get rid of Stockman was if Richard took him? He couldn't have steered him somewhere else or just let him go and figure it out on his own? Is the next team Stockman plays for doing Richard a favor? I honestly don't get it."

That suggestion is not welcome here. It was mentioned a long, long time ago (shortly after Gophers' Stockman signing, followed not too long after by Louisville's "miracle" signing of Brian Bowen), but it was poo-pooed then, and it's still being poo-pooed now.

That suggestion is not welcome here. It was mentioned a long, long time ago (shortly after Gophers' Stockman signing, followed not too long after by Louisville's "miracle" signing of Brian Bowen), but it was poo-pooed then, and it's still being poo-pooed now.

It would help if you simply explained your logic. Maybe what you're saying makes sense and you're thinking from an angle that I haven't thought from. I've asked you a few times and you won't respond for some reason.

How is that obvious? SelectionSunday recently said essentially the same thing, but didn't respond when I asked him about it. I'm just going to copy and paste my question from that thread and maybe you can help me out as I am still very confused.

"I've asked you and others this multiple times but have never gotten a response. How was Richard taking Stockman a favor to Rick? Are you implying the only way Rick could get rid of Stockman was if Richard took him? He couldn't have steered him somewhere else or just let him go and figure it out on his own? Is the next team Stockman plays for doing Richard a favor? I honestly don't get it."

How is it not obvious?

How is it not obvious?

So your belief is that Rick wanted to get rid of Matz to open a scholarship (this part is perfectly believable), but couldn't do it unless Richard was the one who took him? Why did Richard have to be the one to take him? Rick could have sent him anywhere, or simply sent him packing and let him figure things out on his own, so why would Richard take him if he didn't think he would help us?

It's not rocket science. Richard made it easy for Pops, taking on Stockman. Pops didn't need to steer him anywhere else. And lo & behold less than 2 months later Brian Bowen "miraculously" becomes available, and now Pops at Louisville has a scholarship for him.

I certainly have no problem that you don't see it that way, but to think it's not even in the realm of possibility is just plain naive, especially knowing what we know about Pops. And the fact that Richard is willing to show Stockman the door before he's ever played a game for the Gophers tends to lend some credence to that theory. A cut-throat move by Richard (not judging, just saying), something he's probably become familiar with over the years watching Pops.

So your belief is that Rick wanted to get rid of Matz to open a scholarship (this part is perfectly believable), but couldn't do it unless Richard was the one who took him? Why did Richard have to be the one to take him? Rick could have sent him anywhere, or simply sent him packing and let him figure things out on his own, so why would Richard take him if he didn't think he would help us?

He never played (wasnt eligible). Pitino meets with Crandall. A week later, for no reason that we've heard, Stockman transfers. 2 months after the season ends, leaving only one true center on the team, that is a true freshman. To me, the depth issue at center shows how worthless Stockman is. If he is 7'2, a senior, and can't get clock on this team? You can't tell me our coach took him thinking he could play. Now, as evidence with Diedhou, he is okay with stiffs sitting on the bench and taking a scholarship. However, there is no reason for him to be loyal to Stockman as he was to Diedhou. He didn't initially recruit him.

It's not rocket science. Richard made it easy for Pops, taking on Stockman. Pops didn't need to steer him anywhere else. And lo & behold less than 2 months later Brian Bowen "miraculously" becomes available, and now Pops at Louisville has a scholarship for him.

I certainly have no problem that you don't see it that way, but to think it's not even in the realm of possibility is just plain naive, especially knowing what we know about Pops. And the fact that Richard is willing to show Stockman the road before he's ever played a game for the Gophers tends to lend some credence to that theory. A cut-throat move by Richard (not judging, just saying), something he's probably become familiar with over the years watching Pops.

So Rick sending Matz to Minnesota was easier for Rick than if he had sent him to another school where he could have been used (with all the years Rick has been coaching and how big of a name he is, I'm sure he has relationships with many, many other coaches other than just his son)? I just don't see how that made it easier for him at all? The easiest thing by far would have just sent him packing and let him figure things out on his own. Picking up the phone and asking Richard to take him seems equally easy as picking up the phone and asking some other school that could use a center.

I would think it was in the realm of possibility if I saw the logic behind it. I just honestly can't wrap my head around the logic. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to understand.

So Rick sending Matz to Minnesota was easier for Rick than if he had sent him to another school where he could have been used (with all the years Rick has been coaching and how big of a name he is, I'm sure he has relationships with many, many other coaches other than just his son)? I just don't see how that made it easier for him at all? The easiest thing by far would have just sent him packing and let him figure things out on his own. Picking up the phone and asking Richard to take him seems equally easy as picking up the phone and asking some other school that could use a center.

I would think it was in the realm of possibility if I saw the logic behind it. I just honestly can't wrap my head around the logic. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to understand.

Let's agree to disagree.

I hope this means Crandall.

He never played (wasnt eligible). Pitino meets with Crandall. A week later, for no reason that we've heard, Stockman transfers. 2 months after the season ends, leaving only one true center on the team, that is a true freshman. To me, the depth issue at center shows how worthless Stockman is. If he is 7'2, a senior, and can't get clock on this team? You can't tell me our coach took him thinking he could play. Now, as evidence with Diedhou, he is okay with stiffs sitting on the bench and taking a scholarship. However, there is no reason for him to be loyal to Stockman as he was to Diedhou. He didn't initially recruit him.

Erroneous. Curry played the 5 a bunch his freshman year as that was the season that Lynch had so much foul trouble. Curry was on the floor as the 5 nearly every B10 game at the end. Richard knows that he can play center. Richard ALSO knows that Jordan Murphy is going to play 25-30 minutes a game at the 4. Do you really think if he didn't think Curry was a capable center that he would have let Matz go? Curry should not be a 3rd-string center and getting 10 minutes a game behind Murph all year. This frees up minutes to play one of clear Top 6-7 players.

Matz being sent packing doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't have helped us. What it means is Richard expects Crandall (assuming he's the one that comes here) will help more. There are depth issues at center, yes, but there were just as big if not bigger depth issues at PG, and that is a more important position. Again, Rick could have sent him absolutely anywhere, or even just let him figure things out on his own. He did not need Richard to take him. Matz coming to Minnesota over another school does not benefit Rick.

One angle is Louisville recruited him out of Europe. Looking at his 247 profile, no other schools recruited him. Good chance Rick felt he owed it to him to help find him a landing spot since he brought him over here. Can't imagine many were biting since he was that bad, but what do you know, my son has a team.

I just cant get by the fact we need a big man badly, and we're letting one go. I'll maybe re-consider if we get Travis or an all american wanted to come here, but for an okay guard? Doesn't make sense to me.

You had a pretty good sense of how good he was. He apparently sucked. So why take him?

Good chance Rick felt he owed it to him to help find him a landing spot since he brought him over here. Can't imagine many were biting since he was that bad, but what do you know, my son has a team.

I'm sure he wanted to help him find a spot, but are you suggesting that Rick, in all of his years of coaching at a high level, didn't have other contacts that he could have talked to? Even if he didn't know any other coaches personally, it doesn't matter. He's Rick Pitino. He could have called any school in the country and they would have picked up the phone. Do you think that there isn't a single school in the country that would have wanted Matz? Not one?

I just cant get by the fact we need a big man badly, and we're letting one go.

Isaiah Washington is the only point guard on the roster. We needed point guards just as badly, if not worse. I'd argue point guard was an even bigger need. Getting rid of Matz for Crandall makes perfect sense even if Matz would have been an average Big Ten center.

I think it's great that we're always trying to improve our roster...but, 7 of our scholarship players will be brand new this season!

I know Kentucky does this every year, but the kids being familiar with each other is pretty important

Depth at center isn't needed, see Villanova's championship team. Basketball is a guard oriented game. Crandall would be huge especially!

as far as the Rick and Rich angle - When Stockman left Louisville, he was not a senior, so it would have been harder to force him out if he didn't want to go, and made Rick look like the bad guy. Now, Stockman has graduated, which puts him in a different category.

As far as the impact on the Gophers: as others have noted - depth chart at C is now Curry (coming off ACL) and Oturu (coming off shoulder surgery).
This means (IMHO) more time at C for Curry - which will require Omersa to log more minutes at PF. Assuming Hurt is a SG (?), Omersa - a true FR - becomes Murphy's primary backup at PF. Unless Hurt is a PF (which I find dubious). With Matz at C, Curry could slide out and play more minutes at PF. Now, that option is pretty much shot.

Bottom line - big men better stay healthy. One key injury, and it's small ball. (and playing small ball in the B1G is a risky proposition)

Depth at center isn't needed, see Villanova's championship team. Basketball is a guard oriented game. Crandall would be huge especially!

Then what happened to our squad last year without Lynch? It shouldnt have gone down the tube because its a guard oriented game.

I'm sure he wanted to help him find a spot, but are you suggesting that Rick, in all of his years of coaching at a high level, didn't have other contacts that he could have talked to? Even if he didn't know any other coaches personally, it doesn't matter. He's Rick Pitino. He could have called any school in the country and they would have picked up the phone. Do you think that there isn't a single school in the country that would have wanted Matz? Not one?

Isaiah Washington is the only point guard on the roster. We needed point guards just as badly, if not worse. I'd argue point guard was an even bigger need. Getting rid of Matz for Crandall makes perfect sense even if Matz would have been an average Big Ten center.

If Crandall doesnt come, Stull is going to be just fine at the backup

If Crandall doesnt come, Stull is going to be just fine at the backup

Dupree would be the backup, not Stull.

I’d rather have Crandall and IW at PG and Curry and Oturu at center then IW and Duoree at PG and Curry, Oturu and Stockman at center.

as far as the Rick and Rich angle - When Stockman left Louisville, he was not a senior, so it would have been harder to force him out if he didn't want to go, and made Rick look like the bad guy. Now, Stockman has graduated, which puts him in a different category.

As far as the impact on the Gophers: as others have noted - depth chart at C is now Curry (coming off ACL) and Oturu (coming off shoulder surgery).
This means (IMHO) more time at C for Curry - which will require Omersa to log more minutes at PF. Assuming Hurt is a SG (?), Omersa - a true FR - becomes Murphy's primary backup at PF. Unless Hurt is a PF (which I find dubious). With Matz at C, Curry could slide out and play more minutes at PF. Now, that option is pretty much shot.

Bottom line - big men better stay healthy. One key injury, and it's small ball. (and playing small ball in the B1G is a risky proposition)

Hurt is more of a PF than a SG. He's 6'7", getting stronger, and his two biggest weaknesses are defending ball handlers and beating guys off the dribble. I'd call him a 3/4 tweener. I also think Curry will be the primary backup at PF, not Omersa. Assuming everyone is healthy and not in foul trouble, Murphy and Curry should account for most of the minutes at the 4 and Curry and Oturu should account for most of the minutes at the 5.

I'm guessing that part of the reason it was Matz is because the better candidates for opening up a scholarship for Crandall had many reasons for being "protected" that didn't have much to do with basketball.

The obvious one to me is Hurt. You can't run him off if you want to have any chance at his brother. And not even just Matthew, but we have offered a few other players from the AAU program run by his dad. Can't do anything to make that family mad. He's also not graduating so you'd have to talk him into leaving on his own.

The other is Willis. He obviously just got here and is also not graduating. Plus I think that could make Curry unhappy if you bring his friend on and run him off a couple months later.

So, in a world where Michael doesn't have a top ten rated little brother or a dad in charge of an AAU program with so many recruits we want, I think Pitino would keep Matz and let Hurt go. Or he'd have never offered Willis in the first place if he knew Crandall was going to be available. Ultimately, I think he looked at it and decided that we have other options at center (Curry and, if healthy, Oturu to back him up) whereas we have no good PG options behind Washington. And Crandall is good enough to start over Washington IMO.

I’d rather have Crandall and IW at PG and Curry and Oturu at center then IW and Duoree at PG and Curry, Oturu and Stockman at center.

I agree, because Stockman sucks. If you plug in a decent big man, I'd probably disagree with you

Top Bottom