Wow: Matz Stockman will graduate and transfer from Minnesota

I'll sure as hell remember wasting a scholarship year on him and wonder who we might have had on the roster instead, including perhaps some depth that could have mitigated our in-season problem at the center position and the disastrous loss after loss after loss that I paid a season ticket price to watch. Yeah, I'll remember that.

Precisely.....

I'll sure as hell remember wasting a scholarship year on him and wonder who we might have had on the roster instead, including perhaps some depth that could have mitigated our in-season problem at the center position and the disastrous loss after loss after loss that I paid a season ticket price to watch. Yeah, I'll remember that.

Yes but i'm not referring to the decision to take him in the first place, I agree that was not an ideal get when he committed, I'm talking about the decision to run him off and how it could possibly affect next years team and if Oturu and Curry both stay healthy then having Stockman or not won't matter too much in regards to next year.

I hear the frustrations... but do you really think there was anybody with immediate eligibility worth taking at center, who was going to come here almost certainly be number 3 or 4 in line for minutes at center? The Lynch/Curry combo was going to eat 95% of those minutes.

Be mad that we didn’t have a more seasoned back up pg, shooter, or wing with that scholarship, but we could have quite possibly been one of the least attractive schools for a post transfer going into last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading into last season we were probably one of the more attractive landing places for a Grad Transfer that wanted to play on a good team, this year there are more unkowns but still lots of potential

Heading into last season we were probably one of the more attractive landing places for a Grad Transfer that wanted to play on a good team, this year there are more unkowns but still lots of potential

Sure, if you were an off ball wing or sharpshooter, but I stand by what I said for a post player.

There was probably a very specific type of player that could have found consistent post minutes as a grad transfer heading into last year. Our defense hinged on Lynch, who was reigning defensive poy in the Big. He was getting his minutes. Curry was a great compliment who had stretch 4 ball handling skills, played smart impact defense, and made clutch offensive plays late in games. Curry was an excellent replacement player and a rising sophomore. Murphy had the 4 locked down...

I think the only minutes available were for a true center with a solid offensive post game and one who didn’t blow up our defensive scheme, and I still think they are third on the depth chart because our offense ran through mason and our defense needs a guy at the rim.

Grad transfers have to be looking for an opportunity to fill a hole on an otherwise tourney-ready team. Otherwise what’s the point?

Good for Matz, I was intrigued watching him in the scrimmage last year and hope he plays slot and has a good year. Now let's get Geno and stay healthy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good for Matz, I was intrigued watching him in the scrimmage last year and hope he plays slot and has a good year. Now let's get Geno and stay healthy.

I agree. I watched that scrimmage and was left with the impression that he could help the team, but would not be any sort of dominating force. He seemed to have good hands and coordination, but is not super quick, strong or athletic. I think he would have been a part of our rotation at center had he stayed. However, Geno will help us more. Coach to some extent rolled the dice here. When he rolled the dice, it appeared that his winning number was all but assured. Now, it is less so, as Geno is feeling the effect of the other coaches sales pitches. I still think we will win, but not without some sweat.

If we get Geno, otherwise we created a hole by trying to patch up another.

If we get Geno, otherwise we created a hole by trying to patch up another.

What hole? Matz transferred here in hopes of playing more. He saw the writing on the wall and saw he's a 3rd stringer and may even be behind Jarvis o now too. If our hole is a 3rd string Center we will be ok.

Matz absolutely would have gotten some minutes, he's a pure five, and Oturu is injured right now. We are one injury in the front court away from being completely ****ed and Washington is our only pure PG. We have ten eligible scholarship players, there is no room for error or bad injury luck.

Matz absolutely would have gotten some minutes, he's a pure five, and Oturu is injured right now. We are one injury in the front court away from being completely ****ed and Washington is our only pure PG. We have ten eligible scholarship players, there is no room for error or bad injury luck.

Between Murphy, Curry, Oturo, Thomas, and Hurt (Small ball line up since Coffey is 6-9) we are fine on the front court. And if Matz was going to get minutes, he wouldn't have left. Until I see a history of Creaning, I don't think a Pitino ran him off. I think Matz left when he saw his place on the depth chart. Agree that PG depth is our bigger issue although I think Coffey and Dupree can cover spot minutes. Kids don't want to sit, I like that Pitino gets transfers who have to sit. We are deeper than one injury as well unless it's a bi time guy, which would effect any program outside a few blue bloods.

Agree, stay healthy and they will be fine, a key injury or two and good night, front court is more thin now than backcourt in my mind. Coffey is 6' 7" and cannot play inside, Hurt can for short minutes, anything more forget it.

Agree, stay healthy and they will be fine, a key injury or two and good night, front court is more thin now than backcourt in my mind. Coffey is 6' 7" and cannot play inside, Hurt can for short minutes, anything more forget it.

What team in the B10 has more than 5 able body inside guys? Injury argument would pertain to mostly everyone in the country. Plus 90% of the country goes 4 out for spacing purposes anyways. Guard depth is more valuable and important. Matz wanted to play and if were were minutes here for him he wouldn't have left. Pure 5s are a dying breed. You just need long athletic guys to protect the rim.

I feel like Washington will be much better this year. Agreed about 1 true point but Brock can play point too along with Pree. I’m hoping we get Crandall as plan A, plan B get either a good point grad transfer or good center grad transfer and get lucky and Marcus Carr becomes eligible. Speaking of grad transfers is there anyone good left except for Geno?

Top Bottom