Wow: Matz Stockman will graduate and transfer from Minnesota

Hurt is more of a PF than a SG. He's 6'7", getting stronger, and his two biggest weaknesses are defending ball handlers and beating guys off the dribble. I'd call him a 3/4 tweener. I also think Curry will be the primary backup at PF, not Omersa. Assuming everyone is healthy and not in foul trouble, Murphy and Curry should account for most of the minutes at the 4 and Curry and Oturu should account for most of the minutes at the 5.

His inability to defend won't impact what position he plays on offense. He hasn't demonstrated much in the way of post skills at this point imo but has decent (hoping they improve though) shooting skills. They just need to look for better matchups so he is able to defend and use his height to advantage on offense to get shots off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His inability to defend won't impact what position he plays on offense. He hasn't demonstrated much in the way of post skills at this point imo but has decent (hoping they improve though) shooting skills. They just need to look for better matchups so he is able to defend and use his height to advantage on offense to get shots off.

I've always like the saying that your position is what position you can guard.

I've always like the saying that your position is what position you can guard.

Agreed. If you have a guy who can defend 3s and 4s but can't defend 2s, you aren't going to consider him a 2. That just doesn't make sense. Of course it's possible to defend a 3 or 4 while playing the 2 on offense, but that forces you to shift other guys around which complicates things and may not work out well depending on who else you have on the floor and who you're playing against.

So Rick sending Matz to Minnesota was easier for Rick than if he had sent him to another school where he could have been used (with all the years Rick has been coaching and how big of a name he is, I'm sure he has relationships with many, many other coaches other than just his son)? I just don't see how that made it easier for him at all? The easiest thing by far would have just sent him packing and let him figure things out on his own. Picking up the phone and asking Richard to take him seems equally easy as picking up the phone and asking some other school that could use a center.

I would think it was in the realm of possibility if I saw the logic behind it. I just honestly can't wrap my head around the logic. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to understand.

I'm with you on this. I don't think others are making logical arguments. They only gave an agenda for Rick, not Richard. Nobody is debating that Rick wanted to get rid of Matz so he could get a better player. That's obvious. But why the hell would Richard eat up a scholarship just as a favor for his dad? Richard knows his depth has sucked for years, but he figured he would just be nice to his dad when Matz undoubtedly could've gone somewhere else? Also, this ridiculous favor logic implies that Rick had no problem screwing over his son. Matz is a huge guy who was once seen as promising. I think it's pretty clear that Matz just didn't end up being a serviceable player like Richard thought he would be. That wouldn't be the first time that happened with a transfer.

I find it interesting that nobody has mentioned that maybe Matz just left because he wanted to, especially considering he can now transfer without sitting out. Players transfer all the time, especially after graduating. Maybe he was expecting to be a starter or at least play big minutes, and once it seemed evident he probably wouldn't, he wanted to leave for more PT. There are endless other reasons he might've wanted to leave. Maybe the program just ended up not being a good fit for him in general.

Hurt is more of a PF than a SG. He's 6'7", getting stronger, and his two biggest weaknesses are defending ball handlers and beating guys off the dribble. I'd call him a 3/4 tweener. I also think Curry will be the primary backup at PF, not Omersa. Assuming everyone is healthy and not in foul trouble, Murphy and Curry should account for most of the minutes at the 4 and Curry and Oturu should account for most of the minutes at the 5.

Yep. Hurt is a pretty good box out guy too. I actually see him playing some decent spot minutes at the 4 going forward.

The obvious one to me is Hurt. You can't run him off if you want to have any chance at his brother. And not even just Matthew, but we have offered a few other players from the AAU program run by his dad. Can't do anything to make that family mad. He's also not graduating so you'd have to talk him into leaving on his own.

There is also the issue of optics with Hurt being an in-state kid.

Just saw this - hard to believe. We picked up two guards going into next season who can shoot and play defense. Exactly what we needed (assuming Crandall comes). To boot, one of them is a point, also exactly what we needed.

Injury recovery of Oturu and Curry still a concern, of course, but next season can't come soon enough for me.

Agreed. If you have a guy who can defend 3s and 4s but can't defend 2s, you aren't going to consider him a 2. That just doesn't make sense. Of course it's possible to defend a 3 or 4 while playing the 2 on offense, but that forces you to shift other guys around which complicates things and may not work out well depending on who else you have on the floor and who you're playing against.

Agree with you on this. He might not see a big increase in minutes due to his shortcomings that make matchups difficult unless he can make improvements on defense and/or add some bulk to handle minutes at the 4.

He's the tallest 6'-6" guy I've ever stood next to.

Maybe you're factoring in his hair? I'm not sure why they would list a PF an inch or two shorter on the roster than he actually is. There is very little difference in height between him and Dupree when they're on the court together, and pree is listed at 6'5".

Why would he send him here and screw over Richard?

I thought Matz was quoted as wanting a shot to play more and that's why he came here. He's 7-2 and the Richard probably wanted to see if they could get it to click. After practices this year with the new recruiting class it's obvious Matz wasn't going to get minutes, so he left. It's not that complicated or always shady. I'm sure Richard showed him where he was on the depth chart and he didn't like it. So they parted mutually. Also depth is great, but it can also lead to unhappy guys. I like that Richard takes a transfer ever year who has to sit. Kind of a free chance to get a player in the system and also really only matters in years of drastic injury or fall out.

Saw this Louisville forum thread about their reaction to Matz transferring from us. Many are proponents of him transferring back to UL.

https://247sports.com/college/louis...ntents/Matz-stockman-grad-transfer-119024876/

"Most players Pitino ran off I could understand why. Guys that showed nothing like chad millard and Bryan Harvey. But Matz I could never understand. I thought he was capable of being a much bigger help than Anas"

"Pretty sure he had the proper weight when he left. Never could understand WHY he left... I don't know his -/+ usages, but he seemed to be a taller version of SVT... in that he would get in, grab a couple of rebounds and score some points. I remember the ND game, a couple of years ago, where he came in and did well (8 points, 6 rebounds) in like 10 minutes of play in the 1st half.. Was a legit banger down on the block, unlock Mahmoud. But Mahmoud brought more to the table as a team player. Matz had more skill on the block"

"I agree. We need help on the block. Always thought Matz did will in the paint and on the glass. We can use bodies for sure. I’d welcome him and Agau back."

"Outside of him being a wee bit foul prone, it puzzled me greatly as to why he got very little playing time."

The game is on ESPN2 right now. Edmonton 7- WPG Blue Bombers 0

Streveler just threw a 10 yard pass that was intercepted. The DB or LB made a great play, and it was not the worst turnover I have seen. Not sure how the 7 pts. were scored.

Update: Field goall 10-0 9:16 of the first quarter

Streveler just ran for a 15 yard first down, and the commentators referred to his great speed and great DB/ WR type athletic ability. On the run he juked a couple of people, then ran through two tacklers to get the first down.

They followed up by mentioning his time at Minnesota and later that he graduated from MN in 3 years and is a very intelligent player.

He followed it up with a 17 yard out to the wide sideline.

Update: Streveler just threw a bullet up the middle for a 16 yard TD to #7 (Ressler?) apparently a NSDU kid. #82 Wolitarski was in the for the play as well.

Im not going to rule out that this somehow relates to Matz :confused:

Is he taller than that? Actually asking.

I mean, we list him at 6-6 and usually the numbers on the roster are inflated if anything.

Not saying he's dramatically listed shorter like Kevin Durant, but he sholdn't be listed at 6'-6".

Saw this Louisville forum thread about their reaction to Matz transferring from us. Many are proponents of him transferring back to UL.

https://247sports.com/college/louis...ntents/Matz-stockman-grad-transfer-119024876/

"Most players Pitino ran off I could understand why. Guys that showed nothing like chad millard and Bryan Harvey. But Matz I could never understand. I thought he was capable of being a much bigger help than Anas"

"Pretty sure he had the proper weight when he left. Never could understand WHY he left... I don't know his -/+ usages, but he seemed to be a taller version of SVT... in that he would get in, grab a couple of rebounds and score some points. I remember the ND game, a couple of years ago, where he came in and did well (8 points, 6 rebounds) in like 10 minutes of play in the 1st half.. Was a legit banger down on the block, unlock Mahmoud. But Mahmoud brought more to the table as a team player. Matz had more skill on the block"

"I agree. We need help on the block. Always thought Matz did will in the paint and on the glass. We can use bodies for sure. I’d welcome him and Agau back."

"Outside of him being a wee bit foul prone, it puzzled me greatly as to why he got very little playing time."

It's interesting how some posters on here think he's terrible and isn't even capable of playing D1, yet some Louisville fans want him back.

It's interesting how some posters on here think he's terrible and isn't even capable of playing D1, yet some Louisville fans want him back.

Well, some people actually saw him play and some just want to criticize our coach.

Yeah, this is interesting. There's a second thread as well. Apparently UL has a need for more depth at C this year, and the majority of UL posters would take him back. A few laughed it off, said he's a nice kid but not a very good basketball player. A bunch debated the merits of whether they should've run off Anas Mahmoud instead of Matz.

Will be interesting to see where he lands. Somebody suggested former UL assistant (and very brief Gopher asst) Mike Balado at Arkansas St would make sense.

Well, some people actually saw him play and some just want to criticize our coach.

I don't really see how the two are related. People could really go either way whether they think he is good or bad.

One could think Matz is good and criticize Pitino for letting him go.

One could think Matz is good and praise Pitino for bringing in a good player and developing him. And then say the only reason we let him go was because we are getting a player that is even better at a position with more of a need (assuming we get Crandall)

One could think Matz is bad and praise Pitino for cutting bait before letting him take up a scholarship for another year.

One could think Matz is bad and criticize Pitino for bringing him on in the first place and not developing him.

I don't really see how the two are related. People could really go either way whether they think he is good or bad.

One could think Matz is good and praise Pitino for bringing in a good player and developing him. And then say the only reason we let him go was because we are getting a player that is even better at a position with more of a need (assuming we get Crandall)

One could think Matz is bad and praise Pitino for cutting bait before letting him take up a scholarship for another year.

One could think Matz is bad and criticize Pitino for bringing him on in the first place and not developing him.

Yep.

You are right. I was referring to those that are trying to cook up all kinds of conspiracy theories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Louisville is a dumpster fire of a program right now. I would want Matz back too if I was them.

Louisville is a dumpster fire of a program right now. I would want Matz back too if I was them.

A team that went 22-14 (9-9), has a returning freshmen class of one 5-star and three 4-stars, and made a massive upgrade at head coach is a "dumpster fire of a program"? Yeah, ok.

Top Bottom