Wow: Matz Stockman will graduate and transfer from Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Feel bad for Matz, but at least he will be eligible to play right away wherever he goes. Crandall would make this roster very impressive and deep.

so, by my math, 7.7% of the available scholarships last year went to a player who will never play a minute for the Gophers in a regulation game.

For a team that had serious injury and depth issues.

Roster Management at its best. (yes, I know Pitino could not have predicted everything that would happen at the time he gave Stockman a scholarship. I still think it's a valid question going forward. At the very least, hopefully he learned something from the situation.)

Was Pitino sold a bill of goods? Was it not a good fit? Is it Viramontes 2.0? Is the competition in front of him that stout?

It's not a bad thing as long as Oturu and Curry are healthy after their injuries. And it's a good thing if Crandall is moving into a Dinkytown house as we speak.

They must have about as much of a guarantee that Crandall is coming in then.

Geno has wanted to be a Gopher for quite some time. I would bet its pretty much a done deal with Matz transferring. Gophers will be small but really talented.

Wish the best for Stockman.

Assuming Stockman isn't a really good player that just never played before and is, in fact, a decent backup C next year for whoever he plays for, if we get Crandall that's big.

Oturu/Curry/Omersa can probably handle the 40 mns a night at C and even Murphy in a pinch. But now we have 4 legit guards and that's not even including Coffey who's a ball handler.

so, by my math, 7.7% of the available scholarships last year went to a player who will never play a minute for the Gophers in a regulation game.

For a team that had serious injury and depth issues.

Roster Management at its best. (yes, I know Pitino could not have predicted everything that would happen at the time he gave Stockman a scholarship. I still think it's a valid question going forward. At the very least, hopefully he learned something from the situation.)

Matz was by all accounts a fine option, but now (if we get Crandall) we’re upgrading. Just pretend Crandall transferred here last year in a sit 1 play 1 scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG was a bigger need than C, and Crandall is a better player than Stockman.

Best news in a while!

With Crandall, when was the last time the gophers bench was this good with either he or Dupree coming off the bench?

Best news in a while!

With Crandall, when was the last time the gophers bench was this good with either he or Dupree coming off the bench?

Crandall is a better player than Washington, he would start I would imagine.

Matz was never going to be more than a depth player, or someone who only saw action if somebody else got hurt. He probably saw the writing on the wall with Jarvis, Curry, Murphy and Oturu all likely ahead of him. Good move to give him time to find a place to play 1 year where he can get legit playing time.

If it means Geno Crandall is coming home, even better. Dude is a legit PG who scored 16ppg last year. You can never have enough guards.

Is he though? Not saying you're wrong, but Washington looked good the last 9 games of the season and will likely make a jump next season, as most players do after their freshman year. Crandall's numbers were also against weaker competition. I would guess Washington starts at PG and Crandall plays the backup minutes there while possibly starting at SG.

ehhhh. Part of the benefit of a grad transfer is the maturity. I'd guess that if it was close to even you start Washington. First off he has more potential. Secondly he has another 2 years in the program. Third you've been grooming this kid as the PG of the future for a full year. He's spent the last 3 months preparing to be the starter. Even if Geno comes here it'll be in the fall as he has to take more classes to graduate from UND. So you're going to tell IW that all the sudden he's got to be a backup for a guy that wasn't on the radar and doesn't get here until a few months before the season starts? That's tough for a young player to handle and could be harmful to chemistry. The better option IMO would to use Geno as the backup but also as the 1st guard off the bench, essentially a 6th man role.

Is he though? Not saying you're wrong, but Washington looked good the last 9 games of the season and will likely make a jump next season, as most players do after their freshman year. Crandall's numbers were also against weaker competition. I would guess Washington starts at PG and Crandall plays the backup minutes there while possibly starting at SG.

Based on what I saw of both, Crandall is better and certainly a much more reliable player. I fully expect Washington to improve more over this offseason than Crandall will, but I think still think Geno will be a better option entering next season.

Based on what I saw of both, Crandall is better and certainly a much more reliable player. I fully expect Washington to improve more over this offseason than Crandall will, but I think still think Geno will be a better option entering next season.

Geno turned the ball over ~4x per 40 mins. Nearly a full turn more than Isaiah. More reliable is definitely questionable.

ehhhh. Part of the benefit of a grad transfer is the maturity. I'd guess that if it was close to even you start Washington. First off he has more potential. Secondly he has another 2 years in the program. Third you've been grooming this kid as the PG of the future for a full year. He's spent the last 3 months preparing to be the starter. Even if Geno comes here it'll be in the fall as he has to take more classes to graduate from UND. So you're going to tell IW that all the sudden he's got to be a backup for a guy that wasn't on the radar and doesn't get here until a few months before the season starts? That's tough for a young player to handle and could be harmful to chemistry. The better option IMO would to use Geno as the backup but also as the 1st guard off the bench, essentially a 6th man role.

Good points. Agree with this. Crandall can still get plenty of minutes even if he comes off the bench.

Geno turned the ball over ~4x per 40 mins. Nearly a full turn more than Isaiah. More reliable is definitely questionable.

I didn't watch UND so I have no idea but its possible he was relied on to create a lot or simply had the ball a ton

Top Bottom