Kill on Streveler: “You just knew he had 'it.' I don’t know what it is but he had it.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the National Post:

Streveler’s unlikely road from his home town of Crystal Lake, Ill., to Winnipeg took him through Minneapolis and Vermillion, S.D., where he left a lasting impression on the men who coached him.

Former University of Minnesota football head coach Jerry Kill recruited Streveler out of high school, and was struck the first time he met the young man.

“You just knew he had ‘it,’ ” Kill told the Winnipeg Sun, Tuesday. “I don’t know what ‘it’ is, but he had ‘it.’

“Plus, he can run.”

The first start Streveler got at Minnesota, he showed just how well he can carry a football.

“Our starter went down and he came in and rushed for 250-odd yards… and was incredible,” Kill recalled. “He went in and just, boom — there he goes.”

It seems even coaches turn to hyperbole to describe the guy. Streveler actually put up 161 yards along the ground in that game — the third-most ever by a Gophers quarterback — on 18 carries, leading Minnesota to a win.

While he’s more than a fast pair of legs, with an established quarterback ahead of him at Minnesota his coaches had him play mostly receiver his second year.

“Just wanted to get him on the field,” Kill said. “But that didn’t mean he couldn’t play quarterback. He’s a dart-thrower. You watch his throws, he throws like throwing darts. Strong arm.

“He’s got a little gunslinger in him.”

Asked what Streveler’s shortcomings were, and Kill is silent for several seconds. He can’t come up with any.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever recruited a better young man, a better person,” Kill said. “He comes from a great family.

He’s just so competitive. And he loves playing the game. He could go out and play it all day. A lot of ’em want to get off the field as quick as they can get off. But not him.

“He’s a special person and special player.”

http://nationalpost.com/sports/foot...s-it/wcm/50f8be5b-aebe-4b68-9f91-594b5eb1b1cf

Go Gophers!!

per the National Post:

Streveler’s unlikely road from his home town of Crystal Lake, Ill., to Winnipeg took him through Minneapolis and Vermillion, S.D., where he left a lasting impression on the men who coached him.

Former University of Minnesota football head coach Jerry Kill recruited Streveler out of high school, and was struck the first time he met the young man.

“You just knew he had ‘it,’ ” Kill told the Winnipeg Sun, Tuesday. “I don’t know what ‘it’ is, but he had ‘it.’

“Plus, he can run.”

The first start Streveler got at Minnesota, he showed just how well he can carry a football.

“Our starter went down and he came in and rushed for 250-odd yards… and was incredible,” Kill recalled. “He went in and just, boom — there he goes.”

It seems even coaches turn to hyperbole to describe the guy. Streveler actually put up 161 yards along the ground in that game — the third-most ever by a Gophers quarterback — on 18 carries, leading Minnesota to a win.

While he’s more than a fast pair of legs, with an established quarterback ahead of him at Minnesota his coaches had him play mostly receiver his second year.

“Just wanted to get him on the field,” Kill said. “But that didn’t mean he couldn’t play quarterback. He’s a dart-thrower. You watch his throws, he throws like throwing darts. Strong arm.

“He’s got a little gunslinger in him.”

Asked what Streveler’s shortcomings were, and Kill is silent for several seconds. He can’t come up with any.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever recruited a better young man, a better person,” Kill said. “He comes from a great family.

He’s just so competitive. And he loves playing the game. He could go out and play it all day. A lot of ’em want to get off the field as quick as they can get off. But not him.

“He’s a special person and special player.”

http://nationalpost.com/sports/foot...s-it/wcm/50f8be5b-aebe-4b68-9f91-594b5eb1b1cf

Go Gophers!!

This makes me ill. It’s so disingenuous. He had no intention of moving Streveler back to QB.

Kill and Claeys missed on Streveler just like they screwed up every other decision at QB.

he talking about the same kid they wouldn't let throw a pass in his only start?

I love Jerry Kill, but this is a bull**** artist at his peak right here.

These comments only prove that Kill and Claeys knew nothing about quarterbacks.

Kill and Fleck are equally talented BS'ers, just different styles.

Does Streveler lighting up the FCS and starting in the CFL really prove that Kill and Claeys "missed" on him?

Not going to fault Jer for BSing here. Why throw Chris under the bus in any way. He was a good kid and had some strengths but to say he has no shortcomings makes it super obvious he is protecting a former recruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Streveler lighting up the FCS and starting in the CFL really prove that Kill and Claeys "missed" on him?

If he doesn’t get his confidence shaken this year after gettting thrown to the wolves, goes on to have a good CFL run, gets a chance in the NFL then yes. As it stands it’s impossible to know how he’d have done in the Power 5 just like it’s difficult to know who will succeed in the NFL. The highest correlation to NFL success is high production at a lower level however, so by that standard Streveler may have done well at a school with a quality offensive program.

Not going to fault Jer for BSing here. Why throw Chris under the bus in any way. He was a good kid and had some strengths but to say he has no shortcomings makes it super obvious he is protecting a former recruit.

I think it is classic Kill trying to make sure he gets some credit for finding the kid. The press releases all mentioned how he comes from SD with no mention of the U or Kill. I think the lack of shortcomings is because Kill’s evaluation was wrong. Obviously Kill didn’t think he was good enough to play QB.

Based on those comments, I would say it’s a miss and I think Jerry knows he made a mistake. This is Jerry trying to explain away that mistake with Streveler.

He does a good job hiding it but Jerry’s ego is HUGE.

incredulous.gif

What part of this thread is about PJ? Does any shot at Kill need to be countered with a jab at PJ?

Sorry I'll try to be nicer. I could replace "Fleck" with any college coach. They are all BS'ers, they all play the media. Kill was no more "honest" than the average, he just said things the fans liked to hear.

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. it doesn't surprise me at all that one of his boys is doing as well as he's doing. happy for kill and chris.

I think it is classic Kill trying to make sure he gets some credit for finding the kid. The press releases all mentioned how he comes from SD with no mention of the U or Kill. I think the lack of shortcomings is because Kill’s evaluation was wrong. Obviously Kill didn’t think he was good enough to play QB.

Kill sure doesn't want to look like he was a poor evaluator either.

It kind of does although the CFL is enough of a different game that you need to take it with a grain of salt. Nelson and Weber both tried and failed to stick in the CFL (although Nelson may be back- I thought he might have a chance). The fact that they didn't see him as QB is a pretty obvious miss.

sometimes, it's as simple as the right player landing in the right system under the right coach.
One coach tells a kid something, and it doesn't register. A different coach says the same thing, and a light goes on.

And, let's not discount the possibility that Streveler learned from his experience at MN, worked on his deficiencies, and got better. And, I would expect there is less self-imposed pressure at an FCS school as opposed to a power-5 conference BCS school.

What's done is done. Hope Strev goes on to a nice career. but it's pointless wondering about what might have happened at MN. It didn't work out at MN. those coaches aren't here anymore, so there is nothing to be gained by re-hashing the past. (unless someone is looking for evidence to bolster their argument that the previous coaching regime was lacking compared to a different coaching staff...........)

Power 5 4 yr starters should be in the NFL in some capacity for at least 1 year.

What's done is done. Hope Strev goes on to a nice career. but it's pointless wondering about what might have happened at MN. It didn't work out at MN. those coaches aren't here anymore, ]so there is nothing to be gained by re-hashing the past. (unless someone is looking for evidence to bolster their argument that the previous coaching regime was lacking compared to a different coaching staff...........)

Of course that is the only reason.

I mean there is no way someone would want to rehash the past to bolster their argument that the current coaching regime was lacking compared to a different coaching staff. Yea - that would never happen.

There is no way Kill believes any of that. Whether it be a kids hometown paper or the paper for his Canadian team, you talk the kid up and say everything nice you can think of.

sometimes, it's as simple as the right player landing in the right system under the right coach.
One coach tells a kid something, and it doesn't register. A different coach says the same thing, and a light goes on.

And, let's not discount the possibility that Streveler learned from his experience at MN, worked on his deficiencies, and got better. And, I would expect there is less self-imposed pressure at an FCS school as opposed to a power-5 conference BCS school.

What's done is done. Hope Strev goes on to a nice career. but it's pointless wondering about what might have happened at MN. It didn't work out at MN. those coaches aren't here anymore, so there is nothing to be gained by re-hashing the past. (unless someone is looking for evidence to bolster their argument that the previous coaching regime was lacking compared to a different coaching staff...........)

I think what he probably learned is that he didn't want to play in an offense that was an updated version of the flying wedge combined with a passing game scheme that was less complicated than most you would see on a Pop Warner field.

Jerry being Jerry being positive as much as he can. Meanwhile a few on the board sound like they are fat Pat or Souhan. Always can find the negative to exploit in a positive situation.

Top Bottom