Kill on Streveler: “You just knew he had 'it.' I don’t know what it is but he had it.

He just threw his second TD of the game. Now there is a lightning delay.

Streveler has been fine. Thrown a few bad balls but has looked good in bad conditions. His first td pass was really nice. His second was a good CFL throw. Would have had too much loft for the smaller American field. The interception was a good play by the lb.

Most new CFL qbs look terrible.

That said, he looks phyisacally fantastic. Tall, muscular and fast. Frankly I don't know how Kill/ Claeys didn't try to build an offence around him. I can't remember a Gopher QB with his size and speed.

Mitch was the chosen one. This is not a knock on Mitch, it is a rap against myopic head coaches. PJ could suffer the same fate.

The suspense is killing me as the prior offensive staff’s sterling rep is living or dying with Strev in his rookie professional debut :rolleyes:

This three down stuff is a bit jarring. I’m not sure if I like that aspect of it yet but still fun to watch some football nonetheless, eh?

But but but but Leidner!

Think about this: Kill played Leidner in front of two more talented QBs, one before and one after: Nelson and Steveler. If only the Gophers could recruit one good QB... :rolleyes:

I have far more confidence in the ability of Fleck to start a quality QB.

We are complaining about the personnel decisions made by coaches during two 8 win season and a 9 win season? If they were handicapping themsleves that badly through stupid decisions at QB, now that we can make smarter decisions we should be eclipsing those win totals in no time!

We are complaining about the personnel decisions made by coaches during two 8 win season and a 9 win season? If they were handicapping themsleves that badly through stupid decisions at QB, now that we can make smarter decisions we should be eclipsing those win totals in no time!

Kill went .500 in the Big 10 and won 8 games in year 3 (following Tim Brewster!), so we should expect Fleck to win 8 games in 2027, you know, because he's a way better coach.

I think Streveler would have been a better runner than Leidner for the Gophers, and his passing couldn't have been any worse. Was miffed when they moved him to WR because the Kill staff kept comparing him to Jordan Lynch. He saw the staff's loyalty to Mitch and I didn't blame him one bit for leaving. I hope he has a great pro career.

Not so sure that Nelson was better than Leidner, at least when they were both here. Nelson looked great a couple of times, but also started throwing the ball into the ground a lot in a Donovan McNabb like way. Then again I am not sure Nelson could have had a half like Leidner had in Madison where he gave away the game with his awful play.
My take is that physical and technical skills Nelson would have had the edge, but his head was light years away from where qb leadership would be required to excel....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Streveler has been fine. Thrown a few bad balls but has looked good in bad conditions. His first td pass was really nice. His second was a good CFL throw. Would have had too much loft for the smaller American field. The interception was a good play by the lb.

Most new CFL qbs look terrible.

That said, he looks phyisacally fantastic. Tall, muscular and fast. Frankly I don't know how Kill/ Claeys didn't try to build an offence around him. I can't remember a Gopher QB with his size and speed.

We have seen several OSU, Michigan, Nebraska, etc. teams that were QB’d by a very elusive runner that threw ducks! We had a plow that threw ducks, it would have been nice to see what Chris could have done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adjust his release (several batted balls), readjust visual cues/get used to the enormous field, and he should do well. A dynamic runner. He can fly.

Kill went .500 in the Big 10 and won 8 games in year 3 (following Tim Brewster!), so we should expect Fleck to win 8 games in 2027, you know, because he's a way better coach.

Well, 2027 will be “year 3” under PJ so it is a fair expectation, IMHO.

Cool to see Wolitarksy catch a TD. He was a solid four year performer here and it would be nice to have a player like him along with Tyler Johnson this year. Hoping one or two of the young wide receivers steps up this year.

Doesn’t matter if the quarterback was Michael Vick or Peyton Manning. The Kill offensive system would’ve still put quarterbacks in extremely difficult situations to be successful by only throwing on third and Longs and never creating easy throws to get into a rhythm

Doesn’t matter if the quarterback was Michael Vick or Peyton Manning. The Kill offensive system would’ve still put quarterbacks in extremely difficult situations to be successful by only throwing on third and Longs and never creating easy throws to get into a rhythm

I guess the answer might lie in how Kill coached O at SIU and NIU.....im not gonna waste my time looking it up.

I know. He was a fool. I'm glad we now have a genius. In a completely unrelated note, if anyone expects Fleck to win 8/9 games before 2021, they're being unrealistic.

I know. He was a fool. I'm glad we now have a genius. In a completely unrelated note, if anyone expects Fleck to win 8/9 games before 2021, they're being unrealistic.

What? They'll probably do it next year.

I disagree

Not a fool at all.
His strategy took them into the top half of the big ten a couple of times.
We ran the ball. And ran the ball.

That was our strategy. Nothing wrong with that.

Shortening games and playing good defense might be a good strategy for a school like Minnesota. Shorter games lessen talent differences because there are less plays for the talent and depth differences to be exposed.

It is a strategy that has worked really well for Iowa a number of times.

I guess the answer might lie in how Kill coached O at SIU and NIU.....im not gonna waste my time looking it up.

That game where Kill Beat Brewster the Northern Illinois QB was 11-17 for 81 yards and the Minnesota quarterback was 31-46 for 373.

Not doubting Kill is a solid coach. But if you think Kill coaches a great passing game you’re kidding yourself.

That game where Kill Beat Brewster the Northern Illinois QB was 11-17 for 81 yards and the Minnesota quarterback was 31-46 for 373.

Not doubting Kill is a solid coach. But if you think Kill coaches a great passing game you’re kidding yourself.

Ha, that is exactly the stat I was wondering about. Makes sense why qbs left here

Well, let's be honest, at least Vick could have run the ball strongly.

Not a fool at all.
His strategy took them into the top half of the big ten a couple of times.
We ran the ball. And ran the ball.

That was our strategy. Nothing wrong with that.

Shortening games and playing good defense might be a good strategy for a school like Minnesota. Shorter games lessen talent differences because there are less plays for the talent and depth differences to be exposed.

It is a strategy that has worked really well for Iowa a number of times.

I agree with the point that this could be a good strategy for us. Up the recruiting but focus on controlling the game speed, with the exception of not having as plain of an offense as Kill

Top Bottom