Kill on Streveler: “You just knew he had 'it.' I don’t know what it is but he had it.

I agree with the point that this could be a good strategy for us. Up the recruiting but focus on controlling the game speed, with the exception of not having as plain of an offense as Kill

That's great because that's exactly what Fleck's offense is. Run first, but also pass effectively to control the clock. His 2015 Western Michigan team was 3rd in the country in time of possession. In 2016 they were 7th.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2016-01-11
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2017-01-10

looking at the bigger picture - how many teams are really great in all aspects of the game? you have teams that are great on offense, not so great on defense. Other teams, great on defense, not so great on offense. There are only a few teams that really excel on both sides of the ball.

At MN, it seems like it's always been one or the other, since the 1960-61 team that was strong on both sides of the ball. Coaches like Salem, Wacker and Mason had good offenses - not so much on defense. Other coaches were more defense-oriented.

And Gopher fans complain about the side that isn't up to par. Under Mason, it was praise the offense, gripe about the defense. Kill/Claeys - praise the defense, gripe about the offense. If the Gophers ever got a team that was really good on both sides of the ball, the fans would gripe about the long snapper, or the punt return coverage. But rest assured, they would find something to gripe about.

I know. He was a fool. I'm glad we now have a genius. In a completely unrelated note, if anyone expects Fleck to win 8/9 games before 2021, they're being unrealistic.

Does it really matter who we have when we have liberal fascists running the university ?

looking at the bigger picture - how many teams are really great in all aspects of the game? you have teams that are great on offense, not so great on defense. Other teams, great on defense, not so great on offense. There are only a few teams that really excel on both sides of the ball.

At MN, it seems like it's always been one or the other, since the 1960-61 team that was strong on both sides of the ball. Coaches like Salem, Wacker and Mason had good offenses - not so much on defense. Other coaches were more defense-oriented.

And Gopher fans complain about the side that isn't up to par. Under Mason, it was praise the offense, gripe about the defense. Kill/Claeys - praise the defense, gripe about the offense. If the Gophers ever got a team that was really good on both sides of the ball, the fans would gripe about the long snapper, or the punt return coverage. But rest assured, they would find something to gripe about.
Speak it SON!!!
I do feel as though our long snapper is suspect...[emoji57][emoji41]

Yeah why complain about horrible teams? As long we are strong in one aspect of football I'm thrilled. Wins are just a bonus.

He had skill, speed, and energy. Missed opportunity for us.

Does it really matter who we have when we have liberal fascists running the university ?

They're running universities, not the country.

That said, yeah, college football would still matter to me.

Yeah why complain about horrible teams? As long we are strong in one aspect of football I'm thrilled. Wins are just a bonus.

I'm saying that Gopher fans will complain for the sake of complaining. If the Gophers went undefeated and won the National Championship, someone on here would find something to complain about. It's the nature of the beast. To be a Gopher fan is to complain about the Gophers. It's one of our less attractive traits as a fan base.

Gopher fans are far more self-critical than, say, Viking fans. Typical Viking fan = "We're great. We're going to win the Super Bowl." Typical Gopher fan = "We suck. Fire the Coach."

Great to see that! Jerry just didn't have much of a passing game and never really developed a complete B14 offense, which was his downfall. There were big improvements in pass defense, overall defense, and the running game got back to Mason levels, but the whole offensive package was never there.

Well, I think the defense was getting so tough under Kill, that all they needed was to develop the passing game a little bit and they might have had what it took to get to the championship game in in Indy at some point. They were getting close as it was.

His downfall was his health, not the offense as dreadful as it was at times. Kill seemed to have his hand deeply in the offense, which I did not know until later but I guess he was able to get some great offensive results at Northern Illiinois, so I think the Big Ten level of talent disparity on (vs. Big Ten Defenses) is why he hit the wall on that side of the ball.

For the record, and I am too lazy to look it up now, the Mason teams generally put up massive offensive numbers on both sides of the ball, and not just running the ball. Cupito and Assad passed for more yards than you would expect without looking it up as well. Kill did improve the running stats relative to the horrible Brewster years, but the numbers were nowhere close the better Mason teams.

I'm saying that I will complain for the sake of complaining. If the Gophers went undefeated and won the National Championship, I would find something to complain about. It's the nature of the beast. To be a Gopher fan is to complain about the Gophers. It's one of my less attractive traits as a person.

I am far more self-critical than, say, Viking fans. Typical Viking fan = "We're great. We're going to win the Super Bowl." I say "We suck. Fire the Coach."

FIFY

I'm saying that Gopher fans will complain for the sake of complaining. If the Gophers went undefeated and won the National Championship, someone on here would find something to complain about. It's the nature of the beast. To be a Gopher fan is to complain about the Gophers. It's one of our less attractive traits as a fan base.

Gopher fans are far more self-critical than, say, Viking fans. Typical Viking fan = "We're great. We're going to win the Super Bowl." Typical Gopher fan = "We suck. Fire the Coach."

I hear whay you’re saying but I will maintain to my dying day this is one of the least insane fan bases out there (IME). Even Saban faces criticism when the Tide fail to meet expectations.

There are different types of fans. In fact, if we really tried we could probably break it down into 10-20 distinct sub-species. Some are heavily critical, some are incredibly forgiving, some are creepily into the HC du jour, some are proud they’ve never criticized a single thing the administration, department, coach or athlete has ever done. Many are up and down based on myriad factors.

For example, I don’t think it’s outlandish to give PJ major props for being visible, having an high aptitude for closing on good recruits, taking the guys out of their comfort zone regarding community service, and generally giving some hope and optimism. OTOH, it’s completely ok to call putting plastic geese around the facility ****ing ridiculous. A good idea taken to a comical extreme.

I hear whay you’re saying but I will maintain to my dying day this is one of the least insane fan bases out there (IME). Even Saban faces criticism when the Tide fail to meet expectations.

There are different types of fans. In fact, if we really tried we could probably break it down into 10-20 distinct sub-species. Some are heavily critical, some are incredibly forgiving, some are creepily into the HC du jour, some are proud they’ve never criticized a single thing the administration, department, coach or athlete has ever done. Many are up and down based on myriad factors.

For example, I don’t think it’s outlandish to give PJ major props for being visible, having an high aptitude for closing on good recruits, taking the guys out of their comfort zone regarding community service, and generally giving some hope and optimism. OTOH, it’s completely ok to call putting plastic geese around the facility ****ing ridiculous. A good idea taken to a comical extreme.

Pompous is 100% right.

Considering the state of program (over the last 40 years), this is a shockingly positive bunch of folks. It takes a complete and unmitigated disaster, like the end of the Brew years, for us to universally turn on a coach.

Great to see that! Jerry just didn't have much of a passing game and never really developed a complete B14 offense, which was his downfall. There were big improvements in pass defense, overall defense, and the running game got back to Mason levels, but the whole offensive package was never there.

Did Kill state anything about why Streveler didn’t play at minnesota

No

No one would complain if the Gophers won the NC.

Well, I think the defense was getting so tough under Kill, that all they needed was to develop the passing game a little bit and they might have had what it took to get to the championship game in in Indy at some point. They were getting close as it was.

His downfall was his health, not the offense as dreadful as it was at times. Kill seemed to have his hand deeply in the offense, which I did not know until later but I guess he was able to get some great offensive results at Northern Illiinois, so I think the Big Ten level of talent disparity on (vs. Big Ten Defenses) is why he hit the wall on that side of the ball.

For the record, and I am too lazy to look it up now, the Mason teams generally put up massive offensive numbers on both sides of the ball, and not just running the ball. Cupito and Assad passed for more yards than you would expect without looking it up as well. Kill did improve the running stats relative to the horrible Brewster years, but the numbers were nowhere close the better Mason teams.

To me, the biggest difference was that Mason's teams couldn't close out the major games if and or when they needed to. It would be interesting to find out how many times (percentage wise) each (Mason/ Kill) could get that first down to close out a game. Maybe I am being thrown off because the defenses under Kill didn't fold like a cheap tent in crunch time. I remember wishing for the clock to run out or the opposing offense to fall apart because most of the time the defense was gassed.

To me, the biggest difference was that Mason's teams couldn't close out the major games if and or when they needed to. It would be interesting to find out how many times (percentage wise) each (Mason/ Kill) could get that first down to close out a game. Maybe I am being thrown off because the defenses under Kill didn't fold like a cheap tent in crunch time. I remember wishing for the clock to run out or the opposing offense to fall apart because most of the time the defense was gassed.

Yea, Mason really closed out that game with Michigan! I love Mason, but he made excuses instead improving his recruiting. His running offense was excellent, but his players never seemed to think they were good enough beat the top teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So essentially Kill is ripping himself here. He's praising Streveler for having "it" (he didn't) and yet he refused to play him. What a crock of ****.

So essentially Kill is ripping himself here. He's praising Streveler for having "it" (he didn't) and yet he refused to play him. What a crock of ****.

You realize that Streveler was a SO when Kill got sick?

Sure, as long as "it" wasn't the green light to throw when he played here. Ever.

Sure, as long as "it" wasn't the green light to throw when he played here. Ever.

You realize that was his FR season right?

I have no problem with lambasting Claeys for the Steveler situation, but Jerry Kill was done coaching 1/2 way through Strever's SO season.

The huge miss on Streveler happened under Claeys watch.

You realize that Streveler was a SO when Kill got sick?

And, you realize it was Jerry Kill who moved Chris Streveler to WR that season well before Kill got sick and quit. And, when Jerry Kill was displeased with how Mitch Leidner played at Northwestern and at Purdue that season, it wasn't the sophomore Chris Steveler that Kill played at QB. It was true freshman Demry Croft, who actually completed a pass to sophomore WIDE RECEIVER Chris Streveler in West Lafayette. All this happened while Jerry Kill was in full and total power.

No matter how much "it" that Kill thought Streveler had, Kill really wasn't interested in Streveler showing "it" as his team's QB. Kill moved a sophomore QB to WR and played a true freshman at QB. Streveler transferred before Claeys ever coached a game as the permanent head coach. So, if we want to classify this as a miss (maybe it is, maybe it isn't), it is on Kill as much as any coach (Claeys included).

It is obvious that you do not understand fascism. Don’t worry though, there is a very prominent “leader” that can teach you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom