Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oak_street1981 View Post
    Well, I think the defense was getting so tough under Kill, that all they needed was to develop the passing game a little bit and they might have had what it took to get to the championship game in in Indy at some point. They were getting close as it was.

His downfall was his health, not the offense as dreadful as it was at times. Kill seemed to have his hand deeply in the offense, which I did not know until later but I guess he was able to get some great offensive results at Northern Illiinois, so I think the Big Ten level of talent disparity on (vs. Big Ten Defenses) is why he hit the wall on that side of the ball.

For the record, and I am too lazy to look it up now, the Mason teams generally put up massive offensive numbers on both sides of the ball, and not just running the ball. Cupito and Assad passed for more yards than you would expect without looking it up as well. Kill did improve the running stats relative to the horrible Brewster years, but the numbers were nowhere close the better Mason teams.
    To me, the biggest difference was that Mason's teams couldn't close out the major games if and or when they needed to. It would be interesting to find out how many times (percentage wise) each (Mason/ Kill) could get that first down to close out a game. Maybe I am being thrown off because the defenses under Kill didn't fold like a cheap tent in crunch time. I remember wishing for the clock to run out or the opposing offense to fall apart because most of the time the defense was gassed.

Quote Originally Posted by STPGopher View Post
    To me, the biggest difference was that Mason's teams couldn't close out the major games if and or when they needed to. It would be interesting to find out how many times (percentage wise) each (Mason/ Kill) could get that first down to close out a game. Maybe I am being thrown off because the defenses under Kill didn't fold like a cheap tent in crunch time. I remember wishing for the clock to run out or the opposing offense to fall apart because most of the time the defense was gassed.
    Yea, Mason really closed out that game with Michigan! I love Mason, but he made excuses instead improving his recruiting. His running offense was excellent, but his players never seemed to think they were good enough beat the top teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So essentially Kill is ripping himself here. He's praising Streveler for having "it" (he didn't) and yet he refused to play him. What a crock of ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Goofer View Post
    So essentially Kill is ripping himself here. He's praising Streveler for having "it" (he didn't) and yet he refused to play him. What a crock of ****.
    You realize that Streveler was a SO when Kill got sick?

Sure, as long as "it" wasn't the green light to throw when he played here. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    Sure, as long as "it" wasn't the green light to throw when he played here. Ever.
    You realize that was his FR season right?

I have no problem with lambasting Claeys for the Steveler situation, but Jerry Kill was done coaching 1/2 way through Strever's SO season.

The huge miss on Streveler happened under Claeys watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    You realize that Streveler was a SO when Kill got sick?
    And, you realize it was Jerry Kill who moved Chris Streveler to WR that season well before Kill got sick and quit. And, when Jerry Kill was displeased with how Mitch Leidner played at Northwestern and at Purdue that season, it wasn't the sophomore Chris Steveler that Kill played at QB. It was true freshman Demry Croft, who actually completed a pass to sophomore WIDE RECEIVER Chris Streveler in West Lafayette. All this happened while Jerry Kill was in full and total power.

No matter how much "it" that Kill thought Streveler had, Kill really wasn't interested in Streveler showing "it" as his team's QB. Kill moved a sophomore QB to WR and played a true freshman at QB. Streveler transferred before Claeys ever coached a game as the permanent head coach. So, if we want to classify this as a miss (maybe it is, maybe it isn't), it is on Kill as much as any coach (Claeys included).

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    Does it really matter who we have when we have liberal fascists running the university ?
    It is obvious that you do not understand fascism. Don’t worry though, there is a very prominent “leader” that can teach you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk