Look Who's Starting in the CFL!

One thing is for sure, Kill was very loyal to guys that did things his way. His loyalty to his coaches was well known, but his loyalty to Leidner proved equally as strong. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons the play calling for Streveler was so vanilla was to assure there would be no QB controversy once Leidner was ready to go.

ok, now my version of 'what really happened'

Leidner was a pawn to motivate Nelson and it blew up on Jerry. Jerry played Leidner to avoid owning up to the fact the he played a 'mind game' with Nelson and it blew up.

That was the most aggressive thunderstorm that I remember taking place since TCF opened. We were asked to vacate to the "safe location" corresponding to our seating areas - Williams, Mariucci, etc. Most people stood like sardines in the concourse and waited out the rain - a lot just left because it was 17-7 at that point and the game was never really in doubt (and pretty boring to boot).

I was out of the country for the SJSU game:mad:, so I don't know the answer. Was that storm worse than the storm prior to the MSU game last fall? Just curious.

Yes thanks Iceland. I agree that if the defense cannot stop the run then why pass, but that was not the most exciting game.

Hi! I'm Woody Hayes and I approve this message.

https://www.inspiringquotes.us/author/8125-woody-hayes

“To hell with exciting. I'd rather be drab as hell and win.”
-- Woody Hayes

"“The five big mistakes in football are the fumble, the interception, the penalty, the badly called play, the blocked punt—and most of these originate with the quarterback. Find a mistake-proof quarterback and you have this game won.” - Woody Hayes

“You don't get hurt running straight ahead...three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense. I will pound you and pound you until you quit.”
-- Woody Hayes

Three Things Can Happen When You Pass and Two of Them Are Bad- Woody Hayes?_Darrell Royal?
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/10/04/pass-3-things/

And this one is for a long time Gopherholer

“The only meaningful statistic is number of (BigTen :D) games won.”
-- Woody Hayes

Hi! I'm Woody Hayes and I approve this message.

https://www.inspiringquotes.us/author/8125-woody-hayes

“To hell with exciting. I'd rather be drab as hell and win.”
-- Woody Hayes

"“The five big mistakes in football are the fumble, the interception, the penalty, the badly called play, the blocked punt—and most of these originate with the quarterback. Find a mistake-proof quarterback and you have this game won.” - Woody Hayes

“You don't get hurt running straight ahead...three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense. I will pound you and pound you until you quit.”
-- Woody Hayes

Three Things Can Happen When You Pass and Two of Them Are Bad- Woody Hayes?_Darrell Royal?
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/10/04/pass-3-things/

And this one is for a long time Gopherholer

“The only meaningful statistic is number of (BigTen :D) games won.”
-- Woody Hayes

Actually four things can happen which would include grabbing and punching an opposing player after you have your freshman QB throw an interception on a dump off pass while the team is in field goal range to win the Orange Bowl in the 4th qtr. Woody was old school in every way possible LOL.

“The only meaningful statistic is number of games won.” -- Woody Hayes

Unless the number of games you've won is nine, in which case you're worthless, terrible, have no future as a head coach, and must be fired immediately.

Leidner was a pawn to motivate Nelson and it blew up on Jerry. Jerry played Leidner to avoid owning up to the fact the he played a 'mind game' with Nelson and it blew up.

I think there is some truth to what you say. Nelson’s first game was outstanding, then they “ coached him up” to be afraid to throw the ball. Just like every QB under Kill, they usually looked good when they were brought into a game unexpectedly, but looked terrible when they were “coached-up” to be the starter. The offense was just too conservative and designed “not to lose” that the coaches seemed uncomfortable with a QB making things happen with their arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for him that he can continue playing.

I guess I don't know what people are trying to say here....is it that Streveler should have been starting over Leidner? Is it that Steveler is better than Leidner because CS is playing in the CFL & ML isn't? Is it that the coaches couldn't effectively bring out the best of what Streveler could do?

I think it's fair for one to argue the last point......

I think that is how most people feel tho when my meds wear off i get cranky thinking the Gophs missed something special in the 2015 season.

Actually four things can happen which would include grabbing and punching an opposing player after you have your freshman QB throw an interception on a dump off pass while the team is in field goal range to win the Orange Bowl in the 4th qtr. Woody was old school in every way possible LOL.

Ha! For those who haven't seen it:

So, now you’re arguing they weren’t a perennial top FCS team?

When did I argue they were? You want to give all the credit to Streveler for them being a good team in 2017. Yet you gloss over the fact they were 4-7 with him as the starting QB in 2016.

Since we are low on talkers right now due to the offseason, I will wade in here too :)
The Purdue game I think was Nelson's second game and that was probably the most wide open and fun offensive performance during the Kill tenure. Barker and Nelson could have been Nektons :cool02:

When did I argue they were? You want to give all the credit to Streveler for them being a good team in 2017. Yet you gloss over the fact they were 4-7 with him as the starting QB in 2016.

When a player accounts for something like 77 percent of the offense he's pretty ****ing important to the team. He had a better senior season, i.e. Better with experience. It happens all the time.

Being that that staff's biggest accomplishment at QB was Leidner, a guy who, even as a senior, was maddeningly inconsistent and was directly responsible for multiple game losing mistakes over his last 2 years, I doubt they were getting the most out of Strevvy. I also saying that acknowledging that playing QB is extremely hard and Leidner had a number of really good games. But still...

stop the face punching

we all gotta slow down. the only way this thread ends well is wishing Chris the best in the CFL and wishing Mitch the best in construction.

Chris did well in the opener, passing for three touchdowns, but the Blue Bombers lost because the defense gave up huge yardage in a weather-delayed game that lasted nearly six hours.

Being that that staff's biggest accomplishment at QB was Leidner, a guy who, even as a senior, was maddeningly inconsistent and was directly responsible for multiple game losing mistakes over his last 2 years, I doubt they were getting the most out of Strevvy. I also saying that acknowledging that playing QB is extremely hard and Leidner had a number of really good games. But still...

He was also directly responsible for game winning plays. Let’s move on.

Bombers play Friday in Montreal. Winnipeg media remains very high on Streveler.

Bombers won 56-10 over Alouettes which may or may not be a French pastey

Passing: 22-28, 246 YDS, 3 TD
Rushing: 10 CARS, 98 YDS, 1 TD

Player of the game. Not bad.

Top Bottom