Look Who's Starting in the CFL!

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

yep, Kill had him in house and did a disservice to himself, Streveler and Gopher fans. 1st Rose Bowl opportunity in 50 years ....gone.

I'm not saying that he didn't turn out well, he did, but be real, I watched that guy go 1-7 with a pick against SJSU and most of his throws weren't even in the neighborhood. I don't think he was coming back from that one in our program.

I'm not saying that he didn't turn out well, he did, but be real, I watched that guy go 1-7 with a pick against SJSU and most of his throws weren't even in the neighborhood. I don't think he was coming back from that one in our program.

In his defense the play calling and offense in that game was about as mundane as you can get. It was a played to make sure the team does not lose.
I will give the current staff credit for playing looser last year in the non conference against teams like Buffalo. It almost cost the team a win with Rhoda’s pick... but at least you can determine what the personnel can or cannot do.

In his defense the play calling and offense in that game was about as mundane as you can get. It was a played to make sure the team does not lose.
I will give the current staff credit for playing looser last year in the non conference against teams like Buffalo. It almost cost the team a win with Rhoda’s pick... but at least you can determine what the personnel can or cannot do.

Streveler looked awful throwing the ball in that game but people shouldn't forget that he ran 18 times for 161 yards and a TD. One of the best rushing performances by a QB in Gopher history.

Just looked and Cobb ran the ball 34 times for 207 yards. Overall the Gophers 58 times for 380 yards. That's a 6.6 yard average.

After the Spartans missed a FG in the 1st Quarter that game was never in doubt. That I remembered. People came on here after the game and whined and complained about the "vanilla offense", and how they "were afraid to show all their offense". And conversely, some people also asked why the needed to throw more when the Defense got 5 turnovers and the ground game got whatever it wanted all game.

What I had completely forgot was the 1 hour rain delay in the 4th Quarter...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=400547962

Streveler looked awful throwing the ball in that game but people shouldn't forget that he ran 18 times for 161 yards and a TD. One of the best rushing performances by a QB in Gopher history.

Just looked and Cobb ran the ball 34 times for 207 yards. Overall the Gophers 58 times for 380 yards. That's a 6.6 yard average.

After the Spartans missed a FG in the 1st Quarter that game was never in doubt. That I remembered. People came on here after the game and whined and complained about the "vanilla offense", and how they "were afraid to show all their offense". And conversely, some people also asked why the needed to throw more when the Defense got 5 turnovers and the ground game got whatever it wanted all game.

Yes thanks Iceland. I agree that if the defense cannot stop the run then why pass, but that was not the most exciting game.

That was the most aggressive thunderstorm that I remember taking place since TCF opened. We were asked to vacate to the "safe location" corresponding to our seating areas - Williams, Mariucci, etc. Most people stood like sardines in the concourse and waited out the rain - a lot just left because it was 17-7 at that point and the game was never really in doubt (and pretty boring to boot).

That was the most aggressive thunderstorm that I remember taking place since TCF opened. We were asked to vacate to the "safe location" corresponding to our seating areas - Williams, Mariucci, etc. Most people stood like sardines in the concourse and waited out the rain - a lot just left because it was 17-7 at that point and the game was never really in doubt (and pretty boring to boot).

My Wife reminded me about it. We had taken 6 other people to the game. She said that we went and sat in one of the Exit staircases and waited it out. I do remember doing that, but not for which game. Some of the group may have left. We went back in when it was allowed.

Did remember the Cobb TD to cement the win, but not the rain delay.

After 2017's Season of the Rain, maybe it was just washed from my memory... ;)

Streveler was brilliant against SJSU. I thought he played almost a perfect game. It wasn’t the yards he ran for so much as how he ran the offense, when he kept it and when he handed the ball off. I always thought he should have gotten more of a chance.

Eric Crouch with the Huskers back in the day, I doubt he could throw the ball any better than Streveler. Streveler was an EXCEPTIONAL running QB and I think he could have thrown the ball just well enough to be successful. He may not have been good enough to “build your program around” but he could have been a really good option.

He clearly can’t play against FBS competition. Other than 306 yards, 1 TD passing and 119 yards/3 TD rushing vs Bowling Green last year.

But yeah, remember that one time, at TCF throwing on low percentage third downs. Says more about the state of the offense at that point than Chris Streveler.

Not going to look it up right now, but I wonder how many of those passes were on third down. I believe that was the game where they gave away free tickets because of epilepsy awareness…

This reinforces a qb's argument to transfer if he is not starting. Had Streveler stayed at MN he likely would have never made it to the CFL because he wasn't going to beat out Leidner so he would not have gotten the experience and exposure at MN like he did at So Dak. Expect to see even more backup qb's transfer if they don't getting the starting job. I can't say that I blame a backup qb for transferring; it worked very well for Streveler.

He clearly can’t play against FBS competition. Other than 306 yards, 1 TD passing and 119 yards/3 TD rushing vs Bowling Green last year.

But yeah, remember that one time, at TCF throwing on low percentage third downs. Says more about the state of the offense at that point than Chris Streveler.

That elite 2-10 Bowling Green squad. The one that had a S&P defense ranked 123rd in the country.

Again, not ripping Chris, he turned out awesome, starting in the CFL is great, and I'm happy for him. But he was throwing balls straight to the ground or into the stands.

I know what they say about fish getting bigger with time so I probably remember it worse than it was, and your point about the offense is totally correct, but I wrote him off pretty hard after that game, and I think the coaches did as well.

I don't know that I ever saw him throw another pass in maroon and gold. He turned into a wildcat running back after that performance.

That elite 2-10 Bowling Green squad. The one that had a S&P defense ranked 123rd in the country.

So he personally dominated a poor FBS squad with an equally bad or worse FCS squad. You’re really proving something. How many times have we struggled to do that in the last ten years?

Are you really going to start down this trail of tears (for you) again?

Again, not ripping Chris, he turned out awesome, starting in the CFL is great, and I'm happy for him. But he was throwing balls straight to the ground or into the stands.

I know what they say about fish getting bigger with time so I probably remember it worse than it was, and your point about the offense is totally correct, but I wrote him off pretty hard after that game, and I think the coaches did as well.

I don't know that I ever saw him throw another pass in maroon and gold. He turned into a wildcat running back after that performance.

Sure he did. I remember the game and it wasn’t nearly as bad as you make it out to be. A bunch of third and longs with our offense with an inexperienced QB isn’t exactly a great sample. I sincerely hope our coaches weren’t that stupid or poor judges of talent. Wait a minute...

Sure he did. I remember the game and it wasn’t nearly as bad as you make it out to be. A bunch of third and longs with our offense with an inexperienced QB isn’t exactly a great sample. I sincerely hope our coaches weren’t that stupid or poor judges of talent. Wait a minute...

I got curious, and it turns out my memory wasn't great, but that game was pretty painful to watch if anyone is curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRlLO3zMXwY

Definitely says more about our coaching staff than it said about our players.
Also, he only got picked once, but if he was playing in a conference game like 3 of those would have gone the other way, a couple would have gone for 6.

God I hated Limegrover.

Tracy firing that guy was the smartest thing he ever did.

So he personally dominated a poor FBS squad with an equally bad or worse FCS squad. You’re really proving something. How many times have we struggled to do that in the last ten years?

Are you really going to start down this trail of tears (for you) again?

USD was a top 16 team in the FCS. Bowling Green was one of the worst FBS teams. There's a good chance USD was a better team.

And what trail of tears? You continue to make Streveler sound like he should have been a 1st round NFL draft pick, with his cannon arm, and suggesting he can make all the throws. Yet with FBS teams and NFL teams constantly searching for QBs, he couldn't sniff either league. How can that be?

Then in another thread you make out a 5* recruit Hunter Johnson sound like he should have been backing up Streveler at USD, rather than beginning his career at Clemson and now transferring to Northwestern. Your talent evaluation continues to give me a daily laugh so I do appreciate it.

And you were also the one who argued with me over and over before last season that 'I couldn't possibly know that the Gophers wouldn't have anyone drafted before the season started'. I guess I was way off base. :rolleyes:

USD was a top 16 team in the FCS. Bowling Green was one of the worst FBS teams. There's a good chance USD was a better team.

And what trail of tears? You continue to make Streveler sound like he should have been a 1st round NFL draft pick, with his cannon arm, and suggesting he can make all the throws. Yet with FBS teams and NFL teams constantly searching for QBs, he couldn't sniff either league. How can that be?

Then in another thread you make out a 5* recruit Hunter Johnson sound like he should have been backing up Streveler at USD, rather than beginning his career at Clemson and now transferring to Northwestern. Your talent evaluation continues to give me a daily laugh so I do appreciate it.

And you were also the one who argued with me over and over before last season that 'I couldn't possibly know that the Gophers wouldn't have anyone drafted before the season started'. I guess I was way off base. :rolleyes:

They were a pretty bad team before 2017. Do some research. He made them much better.

Yup, I don’t think Hunyer Johnson looks like the sure thing NFL prospect a five star label confers. He looks more like a three to me. His high school stats were astonishingly pedestrian for a five star. He doesn’t seem to have anything special about him at all vs say, Maverick McIvor. Compare their film and get back to me.

None of that means he can’t be a good or even great college QB because get this: it’s not all about underwear drills and arm strength and camp performances. It’s about production.

Boy, the extremes that posters will go to justify their biases!

Kill F’d up with Streveler, just admit it! The U was a QB graveyard under Kill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kill had trouble with QBs and with offense, which continued with Claeys - Gophers #115 in nation in passing, etc. Offense was limited to the run for Kill, as recently at Rutgers, which was over #100 in total offense. I never understood why Streveler didn't get a better shot here, either. We've had QB problems for 11 years or so. Hopefully, this year will be better, but as many have pointed out, neither QB has ever played in a college game!

One thing is for sure, Kill was very loyal to guys that did things his way. His loyalty to his coaches was well known, but his loyalty to Leidner proved equally as strong. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons the play calling for Streveler was so vanilla was to assure there would be no QB controversy once Leidner was ready to go.

Top Bottom