Virginia HC on scheduling: "I want to play the worst power five team we can play"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Virginia HC on scheduling: "I want to play the worst power five team we can play"

per the Daily Progress:

Virginia football coach Bronco Mendenhall’s future scheduling philosophy is very simple, and he laid it out plainly during an unscheduled appearance at a UVa Board of Visitors meeting on Friday.

“I want to play the worst power-five team that we can play,” Mendenhall said, emphasizing the word ‘worst’ as he said it. “That’s what the ACC requires, you have to play one other power-five [team in nonconference play].

“I want to find the worst one we can play, so we can get another win.”

ACC teams currently play eight conference games and four nonconference games. Included in those nonconference games is one mandatory game against a power-five conference opponent. That’s the game Mendenhall said he hopes is “the worst one we can play.”

In addition, for the three other games “I want to find three other games that are close and beatable.”

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavali...cle_b078b4a6-6d06-11e8-bf92-13b2eda458bb.html

Go Gophers!!

And then he picked up the phone and called David Beatty.

And then he picked up the phone and called David Beatty.

^^THIS^^

There could be a bidding war. Seeing two of their games last year, they were really bad. I think the best H.S. team in Texas or Florida would have an easy time with them.

I would live it if we get work out a system where the NCAA or the conferences set out of conference schedule. Sports should be about who us best at beating the teams put in front of them, not who is best at putting the teams in front of them that they can beat.

I would live it if we get work out a system where the NCAA or the conferences set out of conference schedule. Sports should be about who us best at beating the teams put in front of them, not who is best at putting the teams in front of them that they can beat.

That would be such a political mess though. So many teams, some are going to get screwed, nobody can account for all that.

At least he is bluntly honest about playing the worst possible P5 team. The bidding price has just gone up. There is no shame in collecting a ton of moolah.

He's making Indiana feel bad. UVa loves scheduling Indiana.

When you are in a power 5 conference you automatically play 8-9 tough games.
I am in favor of scheduling the easiest wins possible in the other 3-4.

I've actually liked the Gophers' non-conference schedule the past few years & it seems to be the pattern: 1 Power-5 school that's at or close to our level, 1 MAC/Mountain West, 1 Other/Guarantee. Should stick to this model going forward with 9 Big Ten games.

2018: MAC (Miami), Should-be win (NMSU, although 2011), 1 Power 5 (I'm including Fresno in this because they're certainly a good team, even though they're not a Power-5)
2017: Power-5 (Oregon St.), MAC (Buffalo), 1 other (MTSU)
2016: Power-5 (Oregon St.), Mountain West (CSU), 1 other (Indiana St.)
2015: Power-5 (TCU), Mountain West (CSU), 1 MAC (Kent St.)
2014: Power 5 (TCU), WAC (SJSU), 2 Guarantees/Other (Eastern Ill & MTSU)

Upcoming Power-5 non-conference opponents: Colorado, BYU*, North Carolina, Mississippi State. Other potential opponents in my mind for the future: Missouri, Kansas, VIRGINIA, Boston College, Arizona or Arizona State.

Top Bottom