Geno Crandall

How many guys has Pitino redshirted since he's been here?

I don't think he's had an opportunity even if he wanted to. Have we had a year with 13 scholarship players available at the beginning of the season? It seems like there's always someone sitting out due to transfer or just having an open scholarship.

not screaming...i just normally use caps on all my sheriff department forms, reports, etc.. and yes...army training too.
Why do you feel the need to scream on your sheriff department forms, reports, etc?

They are mostly done on a computer, but don't use a script font. :)

Some of the things we are hearing about teams in this recruitment are absurd. Supposedly the sell for Gonzaga is that they are a great team (supposedly much better than the Gophers) and also have more playing time to offer (supposedly compared to the Gophers' "crowded backcourt").

So, IW, McBrayer, Stull, and Kalscheur are going to keep him off the court but not Perkins, Norvell, and whoever else comprises the backcourt on Gonzaga's supposedly top-5 team?? That must mean our backcourt is way better than people are saying and we're actually a top contending team. Or, is it Gonzaga's awesome frontcourt that makes them a top-5 team? I've never heard of any of those guys, but are they really so much better than Coffey (a wing who's a former top-40 recruit and possible 1st round pick next couple yrs), Murphy (all-conf and led NCAA in double-doubles), Oturu (top-35 recruit), and Curry? Unless they have some All-Americans I'm unaware of, I doubt the difference is that significant.

Some of the things we are hearing about teams in this recruitment are absurd. Supposedly the sell for Gonzaga is that they are a great team (supposedly much better than the Gophers) and also have more playing time to offer (supposedly compared to the Gophers' "crowded backcourt").

So, IW, McBrayer, Stull, and Kalscheur are going to keep him off the court but not Perkins, Norvell, and whoever else comprises the backcourt on Gonzaga's supposedly top-5 team?? That must mean our backcourt is way better than people are saying and we're actually a top contending team. Or, is it Gonzaga's awesome frontcourt that makes them a top-5 team? I've never heard of any of those guys, but are they really so much better than Coffey (a wing who's a former top-40 recruit and possible 1st round pick next couple yrs), Murphy (all-conf and led NCAA in double-doubles), Oturu (top-35 recruit), and Curry? Unless they have some All-Americans I'm unaware of, I doubt the difference is that significant.

What do you think the significant differences are between the two programs ?

Doogie was the only one who said our back court was crowded.

Most on here know that Gonzaga probably gives him the best chance to make a deep run but Minnesota gets him a bit more playing time as well as the opportunity to play for his hometown team, a team he grew up a fan of as a kid.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I think with Geno he could potentially get all of the back up minutes for the Zags, but that will result in 15-20 minutes a game with their starters. No doubt they're much better than us, but the WCC is not the Big Ten. Worst case Geno could get 20 minutes a night here in the backcourt and potentially more if he can either beat out Jelly or play off the ball. I'd imagine due to attrition Xavier can give him the most minutes, but I don't know a lot about their backcourt.
I do think when it's all said and done, the potential to start and play big minutes in the Big Ten at home in front of family will swing the decision into the gophers favor, especially now that Matz is gone, I don't think Pitino encourages him to move on without feeling pretty good about his chances. Although I'll admit Pitino has baffled me before with his roster management, but end of the day getting Geno should make this team a tourney team and they should finish in the top half of the league. It will also give them the depth to survive some injuries as well unlike last year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this post was a joke.

I'll agree with you that the "crowded backcourt" thing is ridiculous, but I don't think that is coming from anyone but Doogie. Crandall would get plenty of PT here, and probably start.

But the "better team" argument for Gonzaga is pretty much indisputable. They've made the NCAA tourney like 20+ years in a row and the Sweet 16 or better each of the last four years. They are preseason top 10 in just about any rankings you look at.

It is more absurd to question which team gives him the better chance for a deep NCAA tournament run next year than it is to question which has the more crowded backcourt.

Also to answer your question about Gonzaga vs us.

PG: Josh Perkins vs IW. Perkins is a 5th year guy who averaged over 12 and 5 last year. Not spectular but very solid and def better than Isaiah.
SG: Norvell vs Dupree. Norvell averaged over 12 PGP as a freshman and will probably be better as a soph. Dupree will be better when healthy but Norvell is probably a little better.
SF: Coffey vs Rui Hachimura. Rui averaged about 11.6 PPG and 4 RPG, I'd say Coffey is a little better and can shoot better.
PF: Murphy vs SJSU transfer Brandon Clarke. Clarke put up 17.5 PPG and 8.9 RPG two years ago in a worse conference. Murphy is a little better but Clarke is still a great transfer.
C: Tillie vs Curry/Oturu. Tillie put up about 13 and 6 last year and tested the NBA waters but came back. Much more proven than either Curry or Oturu.

I think Stull may be better than what I think may be their 6th man, Corey Krispert, a freshman that averaged about 6 and 3 last year.

Not sure about their bench as a whole but they do return 4 double digit scorers from a pretty good team last year and get a big time transfer that is eligible this year in Clarke. They do certainly have a nice starting 5.

PG: Josh Perkins vs IW. Perkins is a 5th year guy who averaged over 12 and 5 last year. Not spectular but very solid and def better than Isaiah.
SG: Norvell vs Dupree. Norvell averaged over 12 PGP as a freshman and will probably be better as a soph. Dupree will be better when healthy but Norvell is probably a little better.
SF: Coffey vs Rui Hachimura. Rui averaged about 11.6 PPG and 4 RPG, I'd say Coffey is a little better and can shoot better.
PF: Murphy vs SJSU transfer Brandon Clarke. Clarke put up 17.5 PPG and 8.9 RPG two years ago in a worse conference. Murphy is a little better but Clarke is still a great transfer.
C: Tillie vs Curry/Oturu. Tillie put up about 13 and 6 last year and tested the NBA waters but came back. Much more proven than either Curry or Oturu.

I think Stull may be better than what I think may be their 6th man, Corey Krispert, a freshman that averaged about 6 and 3 last year.

Not sure about their bench as a whole but they do return 4 double digit scorers from a pretty good team last year and get a big time transfer that is eligible this year in Clarke. They do certainly have a nice starting 5.

Sweet! We are as good or better than GZaga

Sweet! We are as good or better than GZaga

I didn't say that.

While I do think Murphy, Coffey and Stull are a little better than their guys at those positions, The gap between Perkins and IW and the gap between Tillie and Curry/Oturu is far greater. I'd also think that they have better backup SF's and PF's than Hurt and Omersa.

How about the head coach comparison?

I didn't say that.

While I do think Murphy, Coffey and Stull are a little better than their guys at those positions, The gap between Perkins and IW and the gap between Tillie and Curry/Oturu is far greater. I'd also think that they have better backup SF's and PF's than Hurt and Omersa.

You guys.... if he takes the Gonzaga visit, we dont get him.

Logically, once he delayed his commitment, I knew every day that went on would decrease our chance to get him. The whole " I want to do recruiting visits that I never did in HS" is bulls***. Its an excuse to keep MN fans at bay until he decides.

If geno picks Gonzaga, Coyle needs to make a move. Total crap resources mis management...garbage

If geno picks Gonzaga, Coyle needs to make a move. Total crap resources mis management...garbage

Regardless of what you think of Pitino, making a coaching change in June would be a huge mistake. He gets next season at this point barring some sort of scandal.

Logically, once he delayed his commitment, I knew every day that went on would decrease our chance to get him. The whole " I want to do recruiting visits that I never did in HS" is bulls***. Its an excuse to keep MN fans at bay until he decides.

Yea, don't agree with that take.

Again, if Curry and Oturu both stay healthy then there will be little difference from having Matz vs not having him.

I don't think that's a good enough reason to fire Pitino to say the least, especially at this time of year.

Lol

You guys...I like Pitino but I'm pissed. He botched the geno thing. 2019 is non existent. We have no one and dont lead for anyone of quality. If we crap the bed this yr, 2020s are not likely gonna come here... ughhhh

When Geno decides to come to the U, it will reinforce Pitino’s recruiting prowess in the region. Not only did he get a great instate class of freshman, but he got the top two grad transfer guards in the region.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys...I like Pitino but I'm pissed. He botched the geno thing. 2019 is non existent. We have no one and dont lead for anyone of quality. If we crap the bed this yr, 2020s are not likely gonna come here... ughhhh
How in the hell did "he botch the Geno thing?" He hasn't even made a decision yet.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

When Geno decides to come to the U, it will reinforce Pitino’s recruiting prowess in the region. Not only did he get a great instate class of freshman, but he got the top two grad transfer guards in the region.

You have some inside info?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Most would say Mooney is #1 on that list

Gophs in lead despite visiting zags on hoopfest weekend...

Most would say Mooney is #1 on that list
I would agree with that, although the Taylor kid who went to Northwestern is a close second. With that said Crandell and Stull are very good gets, especially as late in the recruiting process as we got Stull and potentially Crandell.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

What in the world are you talking about? lol

Top Bottom