Geno Crandall

Disappointing but we will be fine. Hopefully we can meet up with Geno and Gonzaga in maybe the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament and he can see his "favorite" team knock his current team out of the NCAA Tournament.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have got to F’ing kidding me. Unbelievable... another kid that got blinded by what he thought was the bright lights. Now he can at least he can be sitting in a comfy chair, eating a bag of popcorn while he watches the Gophers in the tourney. I guess he knew that IW was better than him...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m with you on this one. Another day, another traitor. If you really love your home team (as he said he did), then you don’t do this. Simple as that.

Already hooked. His name is Gabe.

It would be a great story if Gabe could be that rare freshman guard that plays like an upper-class man and makes us forget about the latest MN kid to rub our face in the dirt (Geno). Gabe, Daniel and Jarvis deserve our applause. Time to forget about Geno.

Short term, this stings. Long term, I think this is best for the program. Bringing in 2 grad transfers and having them potentially get more minutes over high school recruits could hurt us in recruiting. What kind of message does it send that we are willing to bring in grad transfers to play over guys who had less-than-stellar freshman seasons?

I hope and think IW will turn into a solid starter this year. We didn't necessarily need a starting PG. What we needed was PG depth. Geno was too qualified for that.

I also think this is good for Dupree, whom I am a big fan of. Dupree will likely start and then we can move him to PG when IW comes out. Getting Stull this offseason should be enough insurance as far as guard depth...

Washinton/McBrayer/Coffey
McBrayer/Stull/Kalscheur
Coffey/Hurt/Stull
Murphy/Curry/Omersa
Curry/Oturu

Thanks for this. I needed a pep talk, as I’m sick of all these local kids paying lip service to the local team and then turning their backs on us. It should still be a fun year. Would LOVE nothing more than to watch outmr team beat the Zags in the dance.

Anyone know a little more about the zags and why they’re being ranked in the top 5 for next year? Do they have a couple big time recruits coming in for next year? I guess I don’t understand the high ranking as in last years tourney, I wasn’t all that impressed with them. The Norvell kid was good, the hachimura kid was overhyped, and the rest were average players. If Ohio St had shown up for the first 10 minutes of the game, the buckeyes would’ve beat them. And then in the sweet 16 against FSU, that game was a beat down. Zags had 0 chance against them. So long story short, unless the zags have a couple of difference making recruits coming besides crandall, I don’t understand the high ranking.

I agree. They have some nice players, but not that nice. They have become a media darling, simple as that.

He trolled the U fans. All this talk about keeping the family together, wanting to play in front of his family, the U was his dream school, etc. People can talk family all they want, but you need to walk the talk. If Pitino opened up a spot for him because he was giving indications that Geno would joins us, then Geno burned a few bridges today. I hope he like working in Spokane...

+1000. He’s a traitor.

It's clear to me that Geno didn't believe he would beat out Jelly to be the starting PG here. I have to believe he's a little disappointed with his grad transfer decision in that he left the chance to continue being the man at UND for a bench role. I am not sure how he thinks being a 5th year bench player at Gonzaga gets him any closer to a professional career than any of his other potential choices...including just staying at UND. I hope he's not delusional enough to think he's an NBA guy, but Gonzaga has 3 players in the NBA currently and they are all C's.

I tend to agree with your posts on here, but I really don't understand this one. I think he was tired being the man of a program that never has a legitimate shot of making the FF, and now he's going to play plenty of minutes on a team that does (regardless of whether he starts). He decided to go to a better program--what about that makes it clear that he didn't believe he would beat out Washington for the starting PG spot?

The hypothesis that he trolled Gopher fans and screwed the coaching staff feels well supported. If so, Pitino might not have gotten out-recruited after all. If that's the case, however, they did get taken in and lost another player in the process. On one hand, Richard has to be wondering WTF with this state and this program - how many minefields are there in this God-forsaken backwater? On the other hand, maybe time to get a little more land mine savvy.

A 6 seed is 21-24 ish .... they've been preseason Top 10 twice in the last decade (and been to 2 Elite 8's).

Last year .... Sweet 16 ... preseason ranked #18
'16/'17 .... National Championship game ... preseason ranked #14
'15/'16 .... Sweet 16 ... preseason ranked # 9
'14/'15 ... Elite 8 .... preseason ranked #13
'13/14 ... round of 32 --- preseason ranked #15
'12/'13 ... round of 32 ... preseason ranked #21
'11/'12 ... round of 32 ... preseason ranked #23
'10/'11 ... round of 32 ... preseason ranked #12
'09/'10 ... round of 32 ... preseason ranked unranked
'08/'09 ... Sweet 16 ... preseason ranked #10

Ok, so for 10 seasons where they basically have had a bye to get into the tourney. They won just 1 game in 5 years, 2 games in 3 years and 2 years where they have gone farther. Not really an impressive record for an”Elite National Team”...

...and once again alchemy wins...
0b0fb7463b8b25a93cb67f90bfe1a797.jpg

Coming from a hall of fame DB like yourself, makes it even more humorous.

To respond to many posts at once:

1) Yes, I can blame Crandall and similar kids for bailing on their home and people who have supported them their whole life to go play for strangers based on a selfish pipe-dream. Want to play the "Gophers didn't recruit him out of high school" card? Well, neither did Gonzaga. Yes, he handled it poorly. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to see that he made Pitino think he was coming here. You can bet Pitino is pissed off right now.

2). Gonzaga is a very nice program, sure. But their competition in the past has a lot to do with their NCAA tourny steak. Comparing their chops to major programs is ridiculous. There is no comparison in the level of difficulty year-in and year-out. They were built on sneaking into the back door of the tourny based on the conference tourny technicality. All the credit in the world on capitalizing on those, but pretending their program would be in the same position if they were in a major conference 20 years ago is ridiculous, IMO.

3). Gonzaga is not winning the NCAA national championship. That is laughable. Neither are the Gophers, clearly.

4). Pitino should be in boiling hot water unless he lands some MN kids in this next recruiting class. The chance Minnesota has to had to build a powerhouse is undeniable. The in-state talent has been elite. The facilities are there. They play in a major conference. They have the "Pitino" brand (back when it still meant something). It is an utter failure that these kids can't get across the border fast enough, and he's bringing in guys who's idea of organized basketball includes an MC on the court screaming into a mic about "handles" (IW). Crandall is not scared of Hot Sauce. If you can't sell this program/facilities to a guy who self-proclaimed it his "dream school," board up the Barn because we will never have a shot at anything, ever.

5). In no way can this be spun into a positive. This program was a joke before Pitino got here. It's a still a joke after a half-decade of Pitino. This is not "good for the future." I don't know how in the name of anything you can deduce a net positive out this, but it's crazy.

Will we be fine without Geno? Well, that depends on your definition of fine. We'll certainly be a worse basketball team, but probably not by a whole lot. The thing people trying to spin this are missing: It's another confirmation of a the larger underlying problem that persists. Kids growing up here don't want to play for the U. It's unacceptable.

I agree with your takes, except for Pitino being in the hot seat. I would suspect that some of his “Gopher BB friends” may be a little upset with being “played” by this kid. Posting a picture of all his close Gopher family, saying to keep them close and then bail the next day.

Ok, so for 10 seasons where they basically have had a bye to get into the tourney. They won just 1 game in 5 years, 2 games in 3 years and 2 years where they have gone farther. Not really an impressive record for an”Elite National Team”...

Don't recall anyone saying Gonzaga has been an "Elite National Team" for the last decade .... (a decade where only 2 schools, Kansas and the Zags have won at least one game in every dance).

The last 4 years? I'd say the term "Elite National Team" may be fitting (i.e. Elite 8, Sweet 16. National Runner up and Sweet 16 with a 4.5 average seed)

And the Gophers have done what exactly in the tourney during that time frame? Whether you get in playing for the likes of George Mason, Valparaiso or Creighton does it really matter? There are still only a few teams like Butler and Gonzaga that come from weaker conferences and consistently make the tourney and actually win a game or two.

I for one would rather have said I made it into the tourney and won 1 game rather than have said I never got there. Crandall isn't getting full ride offers to Duke, Kentucky or UNC. He got offered a chance from Gonzaga, Xavier and MN and in the end he chose the school which most believe have the best chance of making a run in the tourney. We can certainly all agree that they'll be there...given their easy road.

Now, as for how he chose to rile up Gopher fans and appear to be coming home, well that's another story. But enough ripping a program that most Gopher fans would die for us to have.

Don't recall anyone saying Gonzaga has been an "Elite National Team" for the last decade .... (a decade where only 2 schools, Kansas and the Zags have won at least one game in every dance).

The last 4 years? I'd say the term "Elite National Team" may be fitting (i.e. Elite 8, Sweet 16. National Runner up and Sweet 16 with a 4.5 average seed)

Go Zags,

Appreciate your insight, facts and statistics. Obviously there are many on this board who feel slighted today by Crandall and for some reason cannot accept the fact that Gonzaga has a better basketball program than the U. That speaks to the passion many on this board have towards their Gophers and that's something we on Gopherhole are proud of, our commitment to a team that more often than not let's us down. I for one appreciate other team's fans joining for some fun and banter and thank folks like you for joining the often spirited conversation.

I tend to agree with your posts on here, but I really don't understand this one. I think he was tired being the man of a program that never has a legitimate shot of making the FF, and now he's going to play plenty of minutes on a team that does (regardless of whether he starts). He decided to go to a better program--what about that makes it clear that he didn't believe he would beat out Washington for the starting PG spot?

It's one thing to be a good teammate and come off the bench, to watch others play in crunch time and be supportive. It's an entirely different thing to actively seek out a bench role over a starting position. Geno claims he wants to play basketball after college and starting in the B1G (if that was available to him) is a much better path than coming off the bench anywhere else. I've never personally played with or talked with anyone who would prefer to come off the bench and likely be sitting on that bench when games are decided. Transfers are almost always about fit, they don't go to the best program that shows interest, but the program where they have the best chance to be featured. Ryan Taylor transferred from Evansville this offseason and had UCLA, Arizona, and Indiana interested among others and ended up at Northwestern. Matt Mooney transferred from South Dakota this offseason and had Michigan, Ohio State, and Oregon among others interested and ended up at Texas Tech. What's my role trumps what is the teams likely win/loss record.

Spin Zone: Geno has been playing enough ball with the team to realize he’d be a bit player and wouldn’t be able to compete in the Big 10. He chose to go to a school where he could play cupcakes all year like he did at UND.

Spin Zone: Geno has been playing enough ball with the team to realize he’d be a bit player and wouldn’t be able to compete in the Big 10. He chose to go to a school where he could play cupcakes all year like he did at UND.

Hmmm. This coming season he'll travel to Chapel Hill to start the on campus home and home series with Carolina. He'll travel to Creighton for the return game of that home and home series. He'll have home games against Texas A and M and Washington (home and home series). He'll have Tennessee in Phoenix (neutral site). Oh ... and Maui is loaded this year ... Gonzaga, Duke, Arizona, Iowa State, Arizona, Xavier, Auburn and San Diego State.

Or perhaps he saw the 27 point win over the #2 team in the Big Can't Count past 10 last year ... and then backing that up by beating them in the Round of 32 in the dance?

Other than that, good point

My God, the Gopherhole braintrust are trying to make the case that Gonzaga isn't a good program. It is okay to be disappointed by this, but it is silly to scream that the Zags stink while you have tears streaming down your face. Embarrassing.

Yep. It’s beyond embarrassing.

Yep. It’s beyond embarrassing.

It's what we do.

Initial excitement--trot out potential line ups--speculate who he's going to take minutes from--start to doubt--examine photos and tweets for clues--argue about whether we have him or not--wonder when the announcement will come--disappointed yet again--rationalize--turn on the player.

Hmmm. This coming season he'll travel to Chapel Hill to start the on campus home and home series with Carolina. He'll travel to Creighton for the return game of that home and home series. He'll have home games against Texas A and M and Washington (home and home series). He'll have Tennessee in Phoenix (neutral site). Oh ... and Maui is loaded this year ... Gonzaga, Duke, Arizona, Iowa State, Arizona, Xavier, Auburn and San Diego State.

Or perhaps he saw the 27 point win over the #2 team in the Big Can't Count past 10 last year ... and then backing that up by beating them in the Round of 32 in the dance?

Other than that, good point
Do not let anyone try and spin the idea that your not a top 10 program over the last 20 years because you are. By every metric your far beyond where we are. I would rather aknowledge how poor we have been for nearly the total of 80 years, then pretend something else. One tourney run does not do it either, that takes two weeks of good basketball. I want sustained excellence with multiple conference titles over a 6 -10 year period with multiple sweet 16 runs. The only thing we have over you is our all time best players have done better than yours in the NBA. Hats off to Spokane as well, really beautiful. Watch us this year, there is a loaded roster that i hope will lead us in one big step out of the giant dumpster fire we have been.

I agree with your takes, except for Pitino being in the hot seat. I would suspect that some of his “Gopher BB friends” may be a little upset with being “played” by this kid. Posting a picture of all his close Gopher family, saying to keep them close and then bail the next day.

Sorry, but getting played by a recruit to the point of losing another roster player raises questions of basic competence.

It's clear to me that Geno didn't believe he would beat out Jelly to be the starting PG here. I have to believe he's a little disappointed with his grad transfer decision in that he left the chance to continue being the man at UND for a bench role. I am not sure how he thinks being a 5th year bench player at Gonzaga gets him any closer to a professional career than any of his other potential choices...including just staying at UND. I hope he's not delusional enough to think he's an NBA guy, but Gonzaga has 3 players in the NBA currently and they are all C's.

That said, this is a huge miss for Pitino whose seat has to be scorching hot right now. I have a strong suspicion that Geno screwed him here (don't believe Stockman left on his own accord), but the end result is that he's mismanaged his roster again. As of today he only has 10 scholarship players eligible to play next season. If he loses his job because of an injury or two that exposes a lack of depth it would be a fitting (though somewhat sad) ending to a tenure that had some promise but could just never get going. When you combine this miss with the total lack of any momentum in the 2019 class it's very concerning for the future.

Good post, I agree with all of this.

For the love of god, we don’t care about the statistics of some isolated team from a mid-major conference who served as a farm system for one of our coaches. We just believe Geno Crandall should have come here, for reasons far beyond prior records or a slightly better chance of going to the final four this year.

so, the unstated correct answer is 'yes'.
Geno was a late bloomer, he was three inches shorter and the fourth best player on his high school team, I grew three inches in college as well, combine that with his work ethic and being in the right place to play, he made himself into a player.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Geno was a late bloomer, he was three inches shorter and the fourth best player on his high school team, I grew three inches in college as well, combine that with his work ethic and being in the right place to play, he made himself into a player.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Great take. He was looked and deemed too small and too loose on the off hand. Worked his ass off and grew and earned his choices. Best of luck to him and now lets get on to winning a conference title.

so, the unstated correct answer is 'yes'.

Please do some research or simply stick to hockey. There is a reason he ended up playing at UND. And suck at recruiting our own state? Sure, it could be better. But Amir Coffey and Daniel Oturu could have gone to MANY top level schools.

Geno got going his senior year...was second team ap all state...and grew 3 inches between junior and senior year....not in college not more like 6’2” like he was when he graduated no way is he 6’4”...was always quick,athletic and loves fancy dribbling and passes.

served as a farm system for one of our coaches

Ah, now the truth is starting to come out. News flash - it isn't 1999 anymore. Check the accomplishments of the two programs since then and get back to us.

Did you know that the "farm system" of Ohio State produced one of our football coaches? I suppose now you'll argue that we have a better football program than Ohio State?

slightly better chance of going to the final four this year

Gonzaga has a "slightly" better chance of going to the Final Four this year like LeBron James is "slightly" better than me at playing basketball.

It's what we do.

Initial excitement--trot out potential line ups--speculate who he's going to take minutes from--start to doubt--examine photos and tweets for clues--argue about whether we have him or not--wonder when the announcement will come--disappointed yet again--rationalize--turn on the player.

Yeah, pretty good take.

Top Bottom