Geno Crandall

Isn’t one big key for freshman coming in is to have their body size and stanima Big Ten ready? And I realize easier said then done, young kids entering their first college years still growing with high metabolisms. Does Oturu have Big Ten size?

He's listed at 6-10, 225 on the roster with a 7-2 /7-3 wingspan. I'd say thats Big Ten size.

For comparison, Mo Bamba who was drafted #6 overall was listed at 6-11, 225 on his roster and he turned out fine. Worth mentioning he did measure in with a 7-10 wingspan at the combine.

Lousiville's Anas Osama Mahmoud who ended up becoming a defensive force the last two years was listed at 7-0, 215.

So back on thread topic. Do we think Geno is coming?
No idea.
In either case, the folks who are desperately hoping he comes will also be the ones who say he sucks the first time he has a bad game and doesn't dazzle them.
The GH is about as fickle a place as you can go to.

No big ten big coming in? Dan Oturu is a stud a little small but will contribute right away

No idea.
In either case, the folks who are desperately hoping he comes will also be the ones who say he sucks the first time he has a bad game and doesn't dazzle them.
The GH is about as fickle a place as you can go to.

Wow, did you just get stung by a wasp or something?

For those of you who say Oturu is too small at 225 you don’t think that he won’t put on 10 pounds before the year. Oturu is listed at 225. Let’s take a look at last years bigs. Marvin barley 221, mo Bamba 216, jaren Jackson 226, pj Washington 230, Jontay porter 225, Daniel gafford 217. So don’t sorry about him being too small he’ll be 235 ish by the year hopefully and Amir was listed at like 190/195 I know he’s a guard but just getting point across that Oturu will be just fine

For those of you who say Oturu is too small at 225 you don’t think that he won’t put on 10 pounds before the year. Oturu is listed at 225. Let’s take a look at last years bigs. Marvin barley 221, mo Bamba 216, jaren Jackson 226, pj Washington 230, Jontay porter 225, Daniel gafford 217. So don’t sorry about him being too small he’ll be 235 ish by the year hopefully and Amir was listed at like 190/195 I know he’s a guard but just getting point across that Oturu will be just fine
Nice research thanks. Wonder what weight Curry will be at?

This would be my evaluation of our 10 deep rotation.

PG: Crandall-Above average big ten starting PG, potential all big ten
SG: Dupree-solid starting SG, right around average
SF: Coffey-Above average Big Ten SF, potential all big ten player
PF: Murphy, potential big ten POY and all american
C: Curry-slightly below average big ten starting center

Bench
PG: Isaiah-one of the best backup PG's in the Big Ten
SG: Stull-One of the best backup SG's in big ten
SF: Hurt-below average backup SF
PF: Omersa-below average backup PF
C: Oturu-one of the best backup centers in Big Ten.

Sorry, but no way that IW doesn’t start! Pitino doesn’t bring in the best player in NYC just to have him get bumped by a grad transfer. That would destroy any chance at recruiting another high ranked freshman. I hear that Geno is a good player and he will get a lot of playing time, maybe start, but not in front of IW! IW has got to step up to the challenge and play D, but he will be the starting PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, but no way that IW doesn’t start! Pitino doesn’t bring in the best player in NYC just to have him get bumped by a grad transfer. That would destroy any chance at recruiting another high ranked freshman. I hear that Geno is a good player and he will get a lot of playing time, maybe start, but not in front of IW! IW has got to step up to the challenge and play D, but he will be the starting PG.

i like your thinking about IW and I like the kid a lot as well. That said, your part on recruiting I don’t get. A coach can’t just start his recruiting promises.

If IW becomes the starting PG, it is because he is better than McBrayer this year. If McBrayer or Stull for that matter start at SG then there is no way IW beats out Crandall.
Geno right now is a superior college PG and is a better finisher, better 3 point shooter, a more willing passer and a superior defender. I have no doubt that IW will be much improved but I doubt he improves enough in one summer to beat out Crandall.

All depends on lineups though and who plays good together and what’s best rotation and stuff like thst

I’ve never seen Geno played but for those of you who have how does his talent level compare to Nate Mason

I’ve never seen Geno played but for those of you who have how does his talent level compare to Nate Mason

Crandall is a much better defender both in terms of staying in front of his guy and pick pocketing and coming up with steals.

Crandall is also more of a pass first playmaker and his passes are flashier and more Ricky Rubio-esque whereas Mason looks to score more. Mason averaged more assists than Crandall the last two years but that may be because he has better players around him to finish the play and get open. You wouldn't know it without looking at the boxscore.

Mason is also a better overall scorer and especially better at nailing contested midrange shots and pull up 3's. Also turns it over less.

Overall Mason is a better PG than Crandall due to his shot making ability but Crandall's D does make it closer than they otherwise would be.

So mason is just overall a little better than? Or a lot?

So mason is just overall a little better than? Or a lot?

I wouldn't say he is "a lot better" but he is better to the point where there is little to no debate about him being better if that makes sense.

I'd say the gap between Mason and Crandall is about the same gap as it is between Murphy and Mbakwe. Or the gap between Amir and Rodney.

I have only seen Crandall play in the Summer Pro Am league last year since his high school days, but I came away very impressed. He handled the ball very well, shot the ball very well, saw the floor like a true point guard does and made great decisions (pass or shot) depending upon the defensive reaction. He did all the things I wish Washington would do. Geno did not seem to worry about how many points he personally scored, but how consistently his team scored. Geno would be a great addition to this team. If Geno can play with the same wisdom, skill and effort I saw last summer and Washington learns to play more team basketball, the Gophers will have two very strong guards to lead the team next season. I would love to have the opportunity to see Geno in a Gopher uniform at the barn this season. Come join the fun Geno!

You can bet that if Geno picks the Gophers, he'll play with IW, and likely a fair amount. I'm told Mark Few's biggest selling point to Crandall is having him with another PG on the floor at the same time. Not sure he's ever played 2 PGs at Gonzaga, but he definitely wants to with Crandall.

If he picks the Gophers, you have all kinds of guard flexibility with bringing McBrayer and probably Stull off the bench. And there's not a much better way to help a sophomore guard grow and mature as a player than by pairing him with a veteran, senior guard.

Could look like this:
1st team
IW
Crandall
Coffey
Murphy
Oturu/Curry

2nd
McBrayer
Stull
Omersa/Curry
Hurt
Kalscheur

One other thing that’s huge we didn’t have last year is actually Eric curry. Lynch and Murphy were good but not on the perimeter defensively so other teams would have our post come outside to guard and it caused issues. I feel like Eric is a bit quicker and better guarding outside. I hope Oturu is quicker too

One other thing that’s huge we didn’t have last year is actually Eric curry. Lynch and Murphy were good but not on the perimeter defensively so other teams would have our post come outside to guard and it caused issues. I feel like Eric is a bit quicker and better guarding outside. I hope Oturu is quicker too

Oturu is going to be fouling out more often than not in his freshman year. He'll shoe us glimpses of what is to come, but he'll struggle with fouls.
We don't know what we have in Curry yet. Will he be a step slow?
On the flip side, I am hopeful that coach Jeter brings a deeper level of defensive help to this program. We had a sieve for a defense last year.

So true about curry coming off acl injury. Hopefully he didn’t lose a step but heard he’s doing great

You can bet that if Geno picks the Gophers, he'll play with IW, and likely a fair amount. I'm told Mark Few's biggest selling point to Crandall is having him with another PG on the floor at the same time. Not sure he's ever played 2 PGs at Gonzaga, but he definitely wants to with Crandall.

If he picks the Gophers, you have all kinds of guard flexibility with bringing McBrayer and probably Stull off the bench. And there's not a much better way to help a sophomore guard grow and mature as a player than by pairing him with a veteran, senior guard.

Could look like this:
1st team
IW
Crandall
Coffey
Murphy
Oturu/Curry

2nd
McBrayer
Stull
Omersa/Curry
Hurt
Kalscheur

As long as McBrayer is healthy, he'll start. Either IW or Crandall will come off the bench.

As long as McBrayer is healthy, he'll start. Either IW or Crandall will come off the bench.
I agree there will be minutes for Coffey, Dupree, Washington and Stull. If we add Geno, the guy who loses out next year is Gabe, but we are going to need him in the 19-20 season so it'll be interesting to see how they choose to work him in if Geno commits

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Right. DM is a senior thats been here the whole time

Doesn't matter. If he's not the best player, he won't start, and I don't think he's better overall than Crandall.

McBrayer played his best minutes as a sixth man 2 years ago. I'll bet Pitino would love to have him back in that role, and likely a bit lower minutes (compared with "starter's minutes) would also likely help keep him healthier, which is a big concern with McBrayer.

Doesn't matter. If he's not the best player, he won't start, and I don't think he's better overall than Crandall.

McBrayer played his best minutes as a sixth man 2 years ago. I'll bet Pitino would love to have him back in that role, and likely a bit lower minutes (compared with "starter's minutes) would also likely help keep him healthier, which is a big concern with McBrayer.

How would Crandall fare defensively against the 2s and 3s of the big ten?

Might not matter to you. It matters to a lot of programs.

He's definitely not better than Crandall who is a PG but if he is still better than IW which I think he will be then he will start.

Also McBrayer played just as well two years ago when he was starting as he did when he came off the bench. Some of our best wins two years ago came when he was starting like @Purdue and @Northwestern as well as OSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt and St. John's. He played well in both roles that year but didn't necessarily play better in one role vs the other. He also played very well against Michigan and MTSU after Springs got hurt when he got inserted back into the starting lineup.

Top Bottom