Geno Crandall

I really don't think he would announce he was transferring unless he could actually handle the work load. but I could be wrong.

The latest edition of the "Talk Gopher Buckets" podcast covered the Geno Crandall graduate transfer situation. Geno was expected to need 24 credits to graduate this Summer which is basically impossible.

What episode are you referring to? I just listened to the latest it shows me... June 5th episode 104 and didn't hear anything about Geno.

This season is shaping up perfectly.

1. We run off Stockman.
2. Crandall will commit.
3. Crandall will fail to graduate/not be accepted. Empty Scholarship.
4. Oturu will re-injure his shoulder.
5. IW will hurt his knee.
6. Coffey and McBrayer will be banged-up

Gophers finish B1G 8-12 and go to NIT, after being ranked in top 15 after non-conference and first 4 B1G games.

Or

They do really well, because only 1. and 2. come to pass.

I'd honestly say it could go either way with our luck.

Lengthy Crandall interview

Thanks for this, Die Hard. Geno comes across as a very mature, thoughtful guy for sure. I'm guessing he has very good leadership qualities. Sounds like graduating isn't going to be a problem. Great interview - after listening to it I am more confident than ever that Geno will be a Gopher.

Lengthy Crandall interview

Good listen! Had to laugh when Doogie called our backcourt crowded though...we have 2 SGs who have played in NCAA basketball and one true point guard... I find it hard to believe that Xavier or Colorado St. have less depth at those postions.

This season is shaping up perfectly.

1. We run off Stockman.
2. Crandall will commit.
3. Crandall will fail to graduate/not be accepted. Empty Scholarship.
4. Oturu will re-injure his shoulder.
5. IW will hurt his knee.
6. Coffey and McBrayer will be banged-up

Gophers finish B1G 8-12 and go to NIT, after being ranked in top 15 after non-conference and first 4 B1G games.

Or

They do really well, because only 1. and 2. come to pass.

I'd honestly say it could go either way with our luck.

Jeeze. Don't say these things out loud.

Good listen! Had to laugh when Doogie called our backcourt crowded though...we have 2 SGs who have played in NCAA basketball and one true point guard... I find it hard to believe that Xavier or Colorado St. have less depth at those postions.

It was nice to hear him say he was a kid who always wanted the gophers to get the best HS recruits and he can relate when gopher fans tell him how bad they want him.

Spokesman Recorder: North Dakota grad transfer Geno Crandall planning visit to Gonzaga

Gonzaga is in the mix for North Dakota graduate transfer Geno Crandall.

Crandall is expected to visit Gonzaga’s campus next weekend, according to CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein. The 6-foot-4 guard will first visit Xavier this weekend and Colorado State next week.

The Zags are well aware of Crandall, who made four 3-pointers and poured in 28 points in an 89-83 overtime loss to Gonzaga at the McCarthey Athletic Center in December. Crandall also had five assists, three steals and seven turnovers while playing all 45 minutes.

North Dakota, 30-point underdogs, led by eight with 4 minutes left in regulation before the Zags rallied behind Josh Perkins and Zach Norvell Jr.

Crandall would be an intriguing addition to a Zags team projected in the top five in numerous preseason polls. Gonzaga could use an additional ball-handler, playmaker and 3-point threat. Crandall checks all of those boxes.

Crandall is also experienced with 90 starts in three seasons at North Dakota. Crandall averaged 16.6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.6 assists last season. He made 42 percent of his 3-point attempts. His career averages are 14.3 points and 36.7 percent beyond the arc.

Crandall also expressed interest in New Mexico State and Minnesota shortly after he announced he was leaving North Dakota.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jun/20/north-dakota-grad-transfer-crandall-planning-visit/

Go Gophers!!

Hahaha, wow, classic Doogie. So clueless. I guess every college backcourt is crowded then.

A few cliff notes from a quality interview:

- Crandall said he'll officially graduate from UND in early August. The school is willing to process his final summer grades in a timely fashion so that, wherever he goes, he can be on campus in plenty of time for the fall semester.

- He's a very articulate guy. He could have given canned responses to most of Doogie's questions, but rather he took a second and actually thought about what was being asked. He gave thoughtful responses to pretty much everything, which you don't get often anymore.

- Pitino offered him an official visit, but Crandall said it won't be necessary. Him and his dad had a lengthy unofficial visit a few weeks ago, got the full tour, talked with all the coaches, did everything they needed to do then. He basically said the school would be wasting money if he did an official (the example he gave was them giving him a hotel room overnight when he lives 10 minutes from campus). He does open runs with current Gophers players every week, he's childhood friends with Jarvis Johnson and talks/texts with several of the current players regularly. They're all doing their own recruiting pitch to him.

- He'll do his remaining official visits (Colorado State, with former HS coach Dave Thorson; Xavier with Ben Johnson and Gonzaga), barring something unexpected. He hopes to have a decision done before July 4, so less than 2 weeks. He said he doesn't want the decision to be based on emotion, but being close to family is a big factor and having family and friends watch him play. His parents only got to 1 game at UND last year.

He wants a program that will give him the right chance and the right exposure to play at the next level. He also wants a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament and make a run. Gopher players have told him if he stays home, this team can be really special this year. And I think they're absolutely right, if they stay healthy.

All that said, judging from his tone the Gophers seem to be in a great spot. He said his childhood dream was to play for Minnesota, but never got the major D-1 interest in high school (his teammates were Reid Travis, Jarvis Johnson, Sacar Anim among others). And he's always wanted the top Minnesota kids to play for the Gophers. It seems another school will really have to blow him away, but you can bet current Gophers players will be in his ear the next two weeks until he makes a decision. He seems like a great fit overall, good player and a great leader.

This really feels like Geno is leaning hard to Minnesota but is doing some due diligence and taking visits as a favor to some coaches he has a relationship with. He also probably likes the idea of going on some bigger name visits before committing because he never got to do that in high school

This really feels like Geno is leaning hard to Minnesota but is doing some due diligence and taking visits as a favor to some coaches he has a relationship with. He also probably likes the idea of going on some bigger name visits before committing because he never got to do that in high school

am i the only one thinking we might be going into next season with only 10 players? If Geno is visiting other schools, then the probability of Geno choosing another school is not zero

A few cliff notes from a quality interview:

- Crandall said he'll officially graduate from UND in early August. The school is willing to process his final summer grades in a timely fashion so that, wherever he goes, he can be on campus in plenty of time for the fall semester.

- He's a very articulate guy. He could have given canned responses to most of Doogie's questions, but rather he took a second and actually thought about what was being asked. He gave thoughtful responses to pretty much everything, which you don't get often anymore.

- Pitino offered him an official visit, but Crandall said it won't be necessary. Him and his dad had a lengthy unofficial visit a few weeks ago, got the full tour, talked with all the coaches, did everything they needed to do then. He basically said the school would be wasting money if he did an official (the example he gave was them giving him a hotel room overnight when he lives 10 minutes from campus). He does open runs with current Gophers players every week, he's childhood friends with Jarvis Johnson and talks/texts with several of the current players regularly. They're all doing their own recruiting pitch to him.

- He'll do his remaining official visits (Colorado State, with former HS coach Dave Thorson; Xavier with Ben Johnson and Gonzaga), barring something unexpected. He hopes to have a decision done before July 4, so less than 2 weeks. He said he doesn't want the decision to be based on emotion, but being close to family is a big factor and having family and friends watch him play. His parents only got to 1 game at UND last year.

He wants a program that will give him the right chance and the right exposure to play at the next level. He also wants a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament and make a run. Gopher players have told him if he stays home, this team can be really special this year. And I think they're absolutely right, if they stay healthy.

All that said, judging from his tone the Gophers seem to be in a great spot. He said his childhood dream was to play for Minnesota, but never got the major D-1 interest in high school (his teammates were Reid Travis, Jarvis Johnson, Sacar Anim among others). And he's always wanted the top Minnesota kids to play for the Gophers. It seems another school will really have to blow him away, but you can bet current Gophers players will be in his ear the next two weeks until he makes a decision. He seems like a great fit overall, good player and a great leader.

Thank you for posting. That sounds really promising.

At this point, I would be shocked if Geno isn't wearing maroon and gold this next year. Knocking on wood here, but everything seems to be pointing in our direction. If Geno commits, we have a very talented and dangerous lineup:

PG: Crandall/IW
SG: McBrayer/Stull/Kalschuer
SF: Coffee/Hurt
PF: Murphy/Omersa
C: Curry/Oturu

Many of these players could play different positions as well. Lots of possibilities. Pitino will have a lot of lineup options with this group.

At this point, I would be shocked if Geno isn't wearing maroon and gold this next year. Knocking on wood here, but everything seems to be pointing in our direction. If Geno commits, we have a very talented and dangerous lineup:

SG: McBrayer/Stull/Kalschuer
SF: Coffee/Hurt
PF: Murphy/Omersa
C: Curry/Oturu

Many of these players could play different positions as well. Lots of possibilities. Pitino will have a lot of lineup options with this group.

any chance gabe redshirts?

Xavier. Chances of dancing no better than gophs they return a pretty solid starting lead guard and top 35 2017 recruit Scruggs who did not produce much...likely to start but not a dead mortal lock if it is close Xavier will start Scruggs to keep him happy....Zags return top 70 recruit and 5th year senior and 3 year starter josh Perkins, sophomore guard Norvell is a projected second round 2019 draft choice pick per nba draft net..will have his hands full starting here and the wcc is not the big stage....but zags are rated 1-5 preseason by the pundits and clearly are a NCAA lock and by far the best choice for a deep NCAA run ..colo st a dead mortal lock to start here but Nevada is a NCAA lock and this is a one or two bid league... colo st won 4 MWC games last season.... Gophs like Xavier a solid chance to make the big dance...quality returning guards but solid chance of starting...big stage close to home and play with friends..thinking gophs edge out zags

Xavier. Chances of dancing no better than gophs they return a pretty solid starting lead guard and top 35 2017 recruit Scruggs who did not produce much...likely to start but not a dead mortal lock if it is close Xavier will start Scruggs to keep him happy....Zags return top 70 recruit and 5th year senior and 3 year starter josh Perkins, sophomore guard Norvell is a projected second round 2019 draft choice pick per nba draft net..will have his hands full starting here and the wcc is not the big stage....but zags are rated 1-5 preseason by the pundits and clearly are a NCAA lock and by far the best choice for a deep NCAA run ..colo st a dead mortal lock to start here but Nevada is a NCAA lock and this is a one or two bid league... colo st won 4 MWC games last season.... Gophs like Xavier a solid chance to make the big dance...quality returning guards but solid chance of starting...big stage close to home and play with friends..thinking gophs edge out zags

Yes, Zags seem to be biggest threat. Just looked at their site and their fans think Crandall will be a difficult get as they can't offer a starting position. Good news for us, I would think.

I doubt it. We'll need him.

If Hurt is better as a junior than Gabe is as a freshman this year then I don't see Gabe making the regular rotation unless someone gets hurt. Crandall and Amir are also capable of playing the two as well.

SG: Dupree/Stull
SF: Coffey/Hurt

I don't think he will be but if he is better than Hut it would be:

SG: Dupree/Kalscheur
SF: Coffey/Stull

The one thing Gabe does have that Hurt doesn't is confidence in his shot. Maybe that could be the difference.

Why does anybody wonder if so and so will redshirt? Nobody redshirts these days! Not at minnesota anyway. Not usually anywhere. Why is this conversation?

I think Happ from Wisconsin redshirted and Reuvers was going to. Bridges from Nova did. Didn’t Race Thompson as well.

Why does anybody wonder if so and so will redshirt? Nobody redshirts these days! Not at minnesota anyway. Not usually anywhere. Why is this conversation?

Huh? Lots of players redshirt, all over the country. Successful programs like Villanova and Virginia use redshirts to great effect.

Many teams that invested a redshirt year in a player so that they would be bigger, stronger, more skilled, and more mature are now finding someone else benefit after their investment grad transfers. I don't see the same benefit of red shirting in BB like I do in FB.

Top Bottom