Geno Crandall

i know for a FACT that they are taking substandard students. A guy I knew well had a very below average high school GPA and was a 2 star recruit without a lot of other offers to play football, and he ended up as a scholarship player at one of the schools you mentioned. If they will take that for a 2 star guy, imagine what they would do for a 4-5 star guy.

How do you know what his GPA was? How do you know what his standardized test scores were?

How do you know what his GPA was? How do you know what his standardized test scores were?

I went to school with him and knew him well. But everyone knew his grades and scores were below average as well

It happens - I have worked for 2 separate big ten athletic depts. in the end, the payments to the players caused the little green monster in me to awaken and I knew I had to go.

Tell that to the rest of em. Seriously, I get what you are saying, but that's not the way it works in high end athletic programs. Thus the reason Minnesota is consistently middle to middle bottom of the Big Ten.

Who actually thinks that the Gopher basketball team do not get dozens of players into school that other schools could not get in. There are a whole lot of schools that have much tougher academic requirements for admissions then we do. 47% of all students that apply get in, that is no where elite. Penn St, Michigan, NW are all better schools, UW is certainly equal. UVA, UCLA are all much tougher to get in. My nephew played at UVA 4 years ago and was valedictorian of his high school and he said the academics were grueling at UVA . No basket weaving. Lofton got in here, Martin got in here and the list goes on.

Who actually thinks that the Gopher basketball team do not get dozens of players into school that other schools could not get in. There are a whole lot of schools that have much tougher academic requirements for admissions then we do. 47% of all students that apply get in, that is no where elite. Penn St, Michigan, NW are all better schools, UW is certainly equal. UVA, UCLA are all much tougher to get in. My nephew played at UVA 4 years ago and was valedictorian of his high school and he said the academics were grueling at UVA . No basket weaving. Lofton got in here, Martin got in here and the list goes on.

Not to mention Jeff Jones didn't even meet the NCAA bare minimum GPA-ACT sliding scale requirement for eligibility and still got in here.

And i am not beating up on the Gophers because it happens at hundreds of schools but some folks are acting like academics are holding the Gophers back and that is a bold face lie. I know tons of recruits that never belonged here and kids that got in here that had no shot at getting in at many elite schools.

Don't tell badger fans we're equal academically, they're worse nhan here about assuming academics keep players away.

And i am not beating up on the Gophers because it happens at hundreds of schools but some folks are acting like academics are holding the Gophers back and that is a bold face lie. I know tons of recruits that never belonged here and kids that got in here that had no shot at getting in at many elite schools.

bald

Thank you for the spelling correct. And to Salzie, your right. UW fans are adamant that admissions are tougher at UW. They are wrong as the acceptance rate is slightly higher there. I do not think they are held back by academics. There are actually plenty of actual student athletes around for basketball. Several programs do it with great success. Some even do it with kids at the head of the class and with kids getting Masters while still on campus. AD's and coaches have to actually care to demand the culture .

Obviously Crandall is not playing since he is out....but the Zags lost their first game of the year. It was to #7 Tennessee so there's really no shame there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Souhan: Former DeLaSalle star Geno Crandall now 40 minutes from Final Four with Gonzaga

How does a Minneapolis native who played for DeLaSalle’s dominant basketball program make it back to Minneapolis for the Final Four?

Turns out the GPS route Geno Crandall followed recalculated a couple of times. He played for three seasons at North Dakota, where he earned his degree, became one of the country’s most sought-after graduate transfers, elicited interest from the Gophers, Xavier and Gonzaga, and deciding to head West.

Crandall is Gonzaga’s senior point guard. He wasn’t as productive as usual in the Bulldogs’ 72-58 Sweet 16 victory over Florida State on Thursday at the Honda Center, but he moved one step closer to playing in the Final Four at U.S. Bank Stadium.

Which is why he transferred to Gonzaga, college basketball’s oddest powerhouse — the private school in Spokane, Wash., that routinely wins 30 games and earned a No. 1 seed in this year’s tournament.

Asked which DeLaSalle teammates he remains closest with, Crandall said, “Everybody, really. That’s what drew me here, the community and togetherness is very similar to what I was comfortable with in high school. And we’re all still really tight. When I check my phone, I’ll probably have all those guys texting me and reminding me that I’m 40 minutes away from coming home.”

Crandall was a go-to scorer with North Dakota. Playing for a powerhouse meant seeing his scoring drop from 16.6 to 5.3 points per game and his minutes from 33.4 to 19.2.

Lean and quick, capable of spearheading the Bulldogs’ press, Crandall did not score in eight minutes of playing time Thursday, as starting point guard Josh Perkins played 36 minutes, scoring 14 points and jawing with Florida State’s physical players.

http://www.startribune.com/former-d...nutes-from-final-four-with-gonzaga/507816332/

Go Gophers!!

They'll lose to Texas Tech by 15 and nobody will remember.

Could have helped his hometown team make a run. Oh well.

They'll lose to Texas Tech by 15 and nobody will remember.

Could have helped his hometown team make a run. Oh well.

He had an opportunity to join one of the most elite programs in the country and he took it. He had one last chance to be on a team with a high probability of making a run through the tournament and he took it. The feeling of entitlement some of you have to place restrictions on others' freedom to satisfy your petty desires is astounding. If you could be this bitter about an athlete choosing a different school, I can just imagine your reaction if someone made a choice that had genuinely adverse consequences to you.

Souhan: Former DeLaSalle star Geno Crandall now 40 minutes from Final Four with Gonzaga

How does a Minneapolis native who played for DeLaSalle’s dominant basketball program make it back to Minneapolis for the Final Four?

Turns out the GPS route Geno Crandall followed recalculated a couple of times. He played for three seasons at North Dakota, where he earned his degree, became one of the country’s most sought-after graduate transfers, elicited interest from the Gophers, Xavier and Gonzaga, and deciding to head West.

Crandall is Gonzaga’s senior point guard. He wasn’t as productive as usual in the Bulldogs’ 72-58 Sweet 16 victory over Florida State on Thursday at the Honda Center, but he moved one step closer to playing in the Final Four at U.S. Bank Stadium.

Which is why he transferred to Gonzaga, college basketball’s oddest powerhouse — the private school in Spokane, Wash., that routinely wins 30 games and earned a No. 1 seed in this year’s tournament.

Asked which DeLaSalle teammates he remains closest with, Crandall said, “Everybody, really. That’s what drew me here, the community and togetherness is very similar to what I was comfortable with in high school. And we’re all still really tight. When I check my phone, I’ll probably have all those guys texting me and reminding me that I’m 40 minutes away from coming home.”

Crandall was a go-to scorer with North Dakota. Playing for a powerhouse meant seeing his scoring drop from 16.6 to 5.3 points per game and his minutes from 33.4 to 19.2.

Lean and quick, capable of spearheading the Bulldogs’ press, Crandall did not score in eight minutes of playing time Thursday, as starting point guard Josh Perkins played 36 minutes, scoring 14 points and jawing with Florida State’s physical players.

http://www.startribune.com/former-d...nutes-from-final-four-with-gonzaga/507816332/

Go Gophers!!

He played just 9 minutes against Florida St. I imagine it's been a disappointing season from a personal standpoint.

He had an opportunity to join one of the most elite programs in the country and he took it. He had one last chance to be on a team with a high probability of making a run through the tournament and he took it. The feeling of entitlement some of you have to place restrictions on others' freedom to satisfy your petty desires is astounding. If you could be this bitter about an athlete choosing a different school, I can just imagine your reaction if someone made a choice that had genuinely adverse consequences to you.

Dig a little deeper before you install such praise. If he would have just researched his offers and then went to the Zags, so be it, who cares.

It is just that he played a team into opening a roster spot for him and then dropped that team for the Zags. That is like your daughter’s fiancé skips out the day of the wedding because he got a call from a Kardashian. You may no longer respect the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He played just 9 minutes against Florida St. I imagine it's been a disappointing season from a personal standpoint.

^This. Geno would have helped the Gophers a lot more than he's helped Gonzaga. And helped himself in the process.

There is no question at this point that he made the wrong decision. And it's going to aggravate the hell out of me if/when the Minnesota media fawns over him "coming home" if they make the final four.

^This. Geno would have helped the Gophers a lot more than he's helped Gonzaga. And helped himself in the process.

There is no question at this point that he made the wrong decision. And it's going to aggravate the hell out of me if/when the Minnesota media fawns over him "coming home" if they make the final four.

I wasn't necessarily saying it was the wrong decision. He can only determine that. Maybe he decided having a chance to win a national championship was the most important thing to him.

It is just that he played a team into opening a roster spot for him and then dropped that team for the Zags. That is like your daughter’s fiancé skips out the day of the wedding because he got a call from a Kardashian. You may no longer respect the guy.

Fair enough. That's bad manners and worthy of some disrespect.

But the idea some people have that athletes (or any others) have some duty to the geographical location where they grew up is moronic. Crandall likely did not "choose" to grow up here. That decision very likely was made by others and if he makes a choice to move somewhere else, that's called freedom. People always seem to want that for themselves but frequently begrudge it to others.

But the idea

But the idea some people have that athletes (or any others) have some duty to the geographical location where they grew up is moronic. Crandall likely did not "choose" to grow up here. That decision very likely was made by others and if he makes a choice to move somewhere else, that's called freedom. People always seem to want that for themselves but frequently begrudge it to others.

But the idea

Thrilled for him. He picked what he wanted and now is one game from the final 4.

Geno has played an average of one minute in the second half of the the last 2 games....lacks confidence on offense vs being a confident assertive offensive player at UND...Sure he was planning on a bigger role for zaga.... but being on a top team reduces the sting of bench splinters

Geno has played an average of one minute in the second half of the the last 2 games....lacks confidence on offense vs being a confident assertive offensive player at UND...Sure he was planning on a bigger role for zaga.... but being on a top team reduces the sting of bench splinters

Rotations tend to tighten up this time of year, but that doesn’t mean he won’t get a chance to make his mark.

Your reaction is the funny one. This board is for FANS of a sports team. Fan is short for fanatic. Most of us actually care about our team’s success, in a light-hearted sort of way. As such, we hate it when these guys spurn “our” school, and we cheer against them. Similar to being at a game and yelling at a ref for a bad call. Would I yell at that same ref in a line at the grocery store? Of course not. If he dropped his wallet, I would pick it up and hand it to him, and strike up a friendly conversation. Would be that same if I saw Crandall or Tre Jones in that situation. They are traitors in the sports fanatic sense of the word, and I will cheer against them. Period. Sports is a fun outlet, but it is just a game. You are the one with the problem in apparently not understanding what a fan board is for, and that is to cheer FOR your team and all players that are part of your team and AGAINST our opponents. You are the one that takes all this way too serious.

Last edited:

But the idea

Right, he didn’t choose to grow up here, but all of the local coaches chose to teach him the game and local fans chose to support him. He does have “the freedom” to go anywhere he wants, just as fans have the freedom to support or boo him if they want. Some kids chose to “give back” or want the support of family and friends instead of chasing the bright lights. Do you think he would have exercised his freedom to attend UND if the U had offered him out of high school? It is not as simple of a topic as you describe. He has the freedom to do what he wants and fans have the freedom to think what the want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fan is short for fanatic.

Well, I guess that's the difference between me and you. I don't like particularly like fanatics. But, I guess some people would rather bond in stupid than not bond at all. I never thought there was much "fun" in stupid unless it was something like the Three Stooges or the Ramones or the Farelly brothers movies. Those people have the talent to make stupid an entertaining art form but very few "fanatics" posting on message boards have any inclination or talent to be entertaining.

Last edited:

Well, I guess that's the difference between me and you. I don't like fanatics and I especially don't like it when people are fanatical about things that don't have any kind of serious consequences. But, I guess some people would rather bond in stupid than not bond at all.
You may not like fanatics but you are one!
You completely missed the point of his post because of that.
If you have over 4000 posts here, you're a fanatic. You're either a light hearted one, who puts it on and off for the fun of the season, or youre the serious variety. There really aren't any other choices.

You may not like fanatics but you are one!
You completely missed the point of his post because of that.
If you have over 4000 posts here, you're a fanatic. You're either a light hearted one, who puts it on and off for the fun of the season, or youre the serious variety. There really aren't any other choices.

Ha. Good one!

Well, I guess that's the difference between me and you. I don't like particularly like fanatics. But, I guess some people would rather bond in stupid than not bond at all. I never thought there was much "fun" in stupid unless it was something like the Three Stooges or the Ramones or the Farelly brothers movies. Those people have the talent to make stupid an entertaining art form but very few "fanatics" posting on message boards have any inclination or talent to be entertaining.

Wrong. I’m a fanatic that has fun, jumps up and down during games, cheers against the “enemy” and understands that it is all in fun. You are a grumpy fanatic that likes to criticize others and apparently takes things WAY too seriously when it comes to sports. But you are still a fanatic or you wouldn’t be reading this.

Iam a huge fan that cheers for the kids that go elsewhere to do really well. If we can not win a title, i hope they do. Simply never been provincial. Really different when you have lived in other states, other countries, attended other schools, desired other coaches and cultures. That does not make me less of a fan. no one gets to decide for someone else what they value.

Top Bottom