Geno Crandall

GopherHoop

Reaction score
And go...

I know we are full in terms of scholarships, but what the chances we could have a little more shake up prior to the season!?

It seems to coincidental to be bad luck that this possibility (and it’s still just a possibility he graduates in time to transfer) is just coming to light just now, right after we filled up.

I wonder if he told Pitino this was possible before, but Pitino decided he couldn’t hold a scholarship open all summer just to find out.

I bet Stull plays just as well as Crandall, where ever he ends up.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It seems to coincidental to be bad luck that this possibility (and it’s still just a possibility he graduates in time to transfer) is just coming to light just now, right after we filled up.

I wonder if he told Pitino this was possible before, but Pitino decided he couldn’t hold a scholarship open all summer just to find out.

I was under the impression that it wasn't a guarantee that he graduates on time to become a graduate transfer so everyone had written this off as a possibility. It would seem strange for someone to transfer out now. I can only think of 1 person who would think about transferring at this point and that's Matz, but with Oturu's injury it would be nice to have Matz as a safety net.

If it were me though, I would take Geno over Matz. Could you live with Oturu/Curry/Murphy/Omersa manning the 4/5 spots all year?

I was under the impression that it wasn't a guarantee that he graduates on time to become a graduate transfer so everyone had written this off as a possibility. It would seem strange for someone to transfer out now. I can only think of 1 person who would think about transferring at this point and that's Matz, but with Oturu's injury it would be nice to have Matz as a safety net.

If it were me though, I would take Geno over Matz. Could you live with Oturu/Curry/Murphy/Omersa manning the 4/5 spots all year?

I would if we could guarentee geno can graduate in August. Otherwise I'm fine w Matz

would he walk-on? playing time is important to every player-- is it more important to Geno and his family than tuition money?

My 2 cents?

If Crandall can play this year, Stockman or the Vandy transfer can find another opportunity. Keep Stull and the Pitt transfer. If he can’t play this season, roll with what you have.

Damn, this needs to happen somehow. Having 2 out of McBrayer/Stull/Crandall, coming off the bench would give us quality backcourt depth that we haven't had in awhile.

Damn, this needs to happen somehow. Having 2 out of McBrayer/Stull/Crandall, coming off the bench would give us quality backcourt depth that we haven't had in awhile.

I'd have Crandall starting over Washington, personally.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have no inside information, but it does not take much to connect the dots between Geno and Colorado State. His former coach at DeLaSalle is now an assistant at Colorado State. Would be surprised if he did not end up there.

Wonder if a walk on situation is possible. Doubtful but since I kind of doubt Pitino would push a guy out at this point there has to be some sort of solution if they're communicating with him.

Geno could make this a special season....

#ComeHomeGeno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents?

If Crandall can play this year, Stockman or the Vandy transfer can find another opportunity. Keep Stull and the Pitt transfer. If he can’t play this season, roll with what you have.

Agree. Would think Matz would be graduating after this summer...?

My 2 cents?

Pitino is not going to boot a kid who transferred and hasn't even had a chance to play - especially not one who sat out a year and practiced with the team and now finally has his opportunity. What kind of message would that send to future potential transfers? "Come to Minnesota. We realllly want you...unless we get someone better before you get a chance to play."

Not happening.

Pitino is not going to boot a kid who transferred and hasn't even had a chance to play - especially not one who sat out a year and practiced with the team and now finally has his opportunity. What kind of message would that send to future potential transfers? "Come to Minnesota. We realllly want you...unless we get someone better before you get a chance to play."

Not happening.

I agree with the conclusion here, but I think it has more to do with being thin at center. The only other true center is a Fr coming off a major injury that may even keep him out of the early part of the year. Curry can play some part time C. But would be a big risk in the middle to run off Matz.

Otherwise, if we took a guy who showed in practice he didn’t belong (not saying that’s true here), I think he could be encouraged to move on before he plays a game here, esp if he graduates here and thus could play immediately elsewhere. I realize it’s a bit different, but Lofton comes to mind. Clear he wasn’t going to fit in.

I agree with the conclusion here, but I think it has more to do with being thin at center. The only other true center is a Fr coming off a major injury that may even keep him out of the early part of the year. Curry can play some part time C. But would be a big risk in the middle to run off Matz.

I said pretty much the same thing in another thread awhile back when people were wringing their hand about not getting McKinley Wright or Brad Davison, that the staff were likely looking at taking 1 guard and 1 big in the 2017 class so that the big man would ideally have a year of experience under his belt before taking over as the starting center in 2018-19. We ended up giving up on freshman bigs and took Jamir Harris instead, and then brought in Stockman to fill the role of the experienced big man on this team. I agree with you that it would be a hit to our big man depth to get rid of Stockman and, even with the excitement of adding a skilled Minnesotan to the team, Pitino would receive criticism for taking Stockman in the first place, a guy who had to sit out in a year when we ended up having major depth issues, and then having him leave without playing a game.

Sure hope the Vandy transfer is worth it.

He had decent numbers for a freshman and was ranked #149 on 247. I don't see why he wasn't a good pick-up.

Why are people down on him, just because he has to sit out a year?

He had decent numbers for a freshman and was ranked #149 on 247. I don't see why he wasn't a good pick-up.

Why are people down on him, just because he has to sit out a year?

Nothing in his college performance, numbers wise, through 2 seasons suggests he will be a good Big Ten player.

The standard for sit out transfers should be higher than this. Maybe Willis will surprise and live up to his ranking coming out of high school, but it's a gamble for sure.

Nothing in his college performance, numbers wise, through 2 seasons suggests he will be a good Big Ten player.

The standard for sit out transfers should be higher than this. Maybe Willis will surprise and live up to his ranking coming out of high school, but it's a gamble for sure.

Maybe Eric Curry's experience playing AAU with him growing up speaks louder to Pitino than stats on a team where he clearly didn't get as much opportunity with the new coach?

I was forgetting he played 2 season, not 1.

But since we are on the topic, we were high on McNeil for his 3rd year (in part for his defense) but his numbers were not great on paper:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66188/daquein-mcneil

McNeil was suspended and quit a few games into his second year.

I should have remembered that... It really wasn't that long ago.

Willis isn't a complete head-scratcher, his college stats were ok and he was ranked pretty high out of HS.

Maybe Eric Curry's experience playing AAU with him growing up speaks louder to Pitino than stats on a team where he clearly didn't get as much opportunity with the new coach?

No doubt. I'm assuming Pitino was still very high on him after offering while in high school etc.

I think we have headed into a period where transfer are so prevalent that coaches should hold at least one back per year. if a Crandell shows up? Great. If not then give a year to a walk-on. Worst case is getting saddled with multi-year non-contributors like Gaston.

I said pretty much the same thing in another thread awhile back when people were wringing their hand about not getting McKinley Wright or Brad Davison, that the staff were likely looking at taking 1 guard and 1 big in the 2017 class so that the big man would ideally have a year of experience under his belt before taking over as the starting center in 2018-19. We ended up giving up on freshman bigs and took Jamir Harris instead, and then brought in Stockman to fill the role of the experienced big man on this team. I agree with you that it would be a hit to our big man depth to get rid of Stockman and, even with the excitement of adding a skilled Minnesotan to the team, Pitino would receive criticism for taking Stockman in the first place, a guy who had to sit out in a year when we ended up having major depth issues, and then having him leave without playing a game.

When Stockman wins All B1G honors we will all be glad he was here. Really, who knows?

It would be huge if Pitino could somehow work this out.

I think we have headed into a period where transfer are so prevalent that coaches should hold at least one back per year. if a Crandell shows up? Great. If not then give a year to a walk-on. Worst case is getting saddled with multi-year non-contributors like Gaston.

Only if the other 12 are all going to play. If you have 1-2 guys redshirting and then hold one back, you're 1-2 injuries away from ending up with what we had last year.

Top Bottom