Geno Crandall

It's what we do.

Initial excitement--trot out potential line ups--speculate who he's going to take minutes from--start to doubt--examine photos and tweets for clues--argue about whether we have him or not--wonder when the announcement will come--disappointed yet again--rationalize--turn on the player.

This is genuinely funny. Please tell me you post in the football board. Let me warn you that if you do post similar stuff on the football board other people will respond and IM you on how you are a horrible person.

It's what we do.

Initial excitement--trot out potential line ups--speculate who he's going to take minutes from--start to doubt--examine photos and tweets for clues--argue about whether we have him or not--wonder when the announcement will come--disappointed yet again--rationalize--turn on the player.

Well played.

The only thing we have over you is our all time best players have done better than yours in the NBA.

Well, only if we ignore the fact that John Stockton is the all-time NBA leader in two of the five major statistical categories (assists and steals).

I’m trying to think of a comparable to this butthurt that some are showing on here.

It’s maybe like a close family friend or an uncle holding a grudge for the rest of his nephew’s life for choosing in his last opportunity/year of college to go on an all expenses paid study program in Hawaii instead of studying abroad in Poland because “our family’s ancestry is polish, you ungrateful prick.”

Well, only if we ignore the fact that John Stockton is the all-time NBA leader in two of the five major statistical categories (assists and steals).

Good call ! So even that is out. Well at least Michael Thompson and Mchale won NBA titles. Stockton never did that.

I’m trying to think of a comparable to this butthurt that some are showing on here.

It’s maybe like a close family friend or an uncle holding a grudge for the rest of his nephew’s life for choosing in his last opportunity/year of college to go on an all expenses paid study program in Hawaii instead of studying abroad in Poland because “our family’s ancestry is polish, you ungrateful prick.”

Exactly. People can be so provincial. Traveled all over the world my whole life so i have never been that way. Like when we built our cabin here, our Minnesota friends bragged about 10,000 lakes. Alaska has 3 million ! Kids today to their credit are more open minded about going to school elsewhere.So many programs now are established national brands of success. In football at least i can back in history and find big success. In hoops it is no better than 8th in the conference for the U in terms of success. Has there ever been 4 consecutive above .500 conference record in our entire history ?

I still trust Pitino, despite losing Matz. He took a risk and it didn't pay off. I want my coach to take risks. He's still developing as a coach and you can bet he's learning a ton about the grad transfer market.

I still trust Pitino, despite losing Matz. He took a risk and it didn't pay off. I want my coach to take risks. He's still developing as a coach and you can bet he's learning a ton about the grad transfer market.

Yep, in hindsight, it was still the right move. He shouldn't regret booting Matz.

Yep, in hindsight, it was still the right move. He shouldn't regret booting Matz.
No it wasn't you don't cream until the target is secured. I have no problem with what he tried to do but he ****ed it up and put his roster in a vulnerable position. If we're down to six eligible scholarship players and Huck Conroy has to come into the game, Pitino not getting the benefit of the doubt anymore. If any of our bigs go down we're ****ed

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

And what proof do we have again that Matz didn't leave on his own?

And what proof do we have again that Matz didn't leave on his own?

Circumstantial evidence points in that direction. I don't think we are required to adhere to the standards of evidence applicable to criminal trials.

Wonder if you'll still feel that way in January?

As long as Curry and Oturu don't completely re-injure their knee and shoulder then we will be completely fine. Oturu, Curry, Omersa and Murphy is plenty fine for a 4 man front court rotation. It's the back court that I'm worried about and having Matz wouldn't affect us there.

As long as Curry and Oturu don't completely re-injure their knee and shoulder then we will be completely fine. Oturu, Curry, Omersa and Murphy is plenty fine for a 4 man front court rotation. It's the back court that I'm worried about and having Matz wouldn't affect us there.

The correct answer to that last question was: "I don't know. We'll see." Instead you gave me more July conjecture and unwittingly made my point for me. Sometimes you have to imagine that you are someone other than yourself to get these things right. You know, like role playing.

Exactly. People can be so provincial. Traveled all over the world my whole life so i have never been that way. Like when we built our cabin here, our Minnesota friends bragged about 10,000 lakes. Alaska has 3 million ! Kids today to their credit are more open minded about going to school elsewhere.So many programs now are established national brands of success. In football at least i can back in history and find big success. In hoops it is no better than 8th in the conference for the U in terms of success. Has there ever been 4 consecutive above .500 conference record in our entire history ?

Trusting just talking in jest. We don't call our ponds etc., lakes whereas many other states do. Therefore our numbers would be significantly higher and others would be much lower. Have no idea what Alaska would be.

The correct answer to that last question was: "I don't know. We'll see." Instead you gave me more July conjecture and unwittingly made my point for me. Sometimes you have to imagine that you are someone other than yourself to get these things right. You know, like role playing.

Alright, this is what I will say

In January, even if one of our big men goes down to injury and is out for a significant time, I will still maintain that booting Matz in hope of securing Crandall was the right gamble to make and it simply didn't pay off. It's ok to admit that sometimes you still have to take risks but just because they didn't work out for you doesn't mean they weren't the right moves at the time.

Alright, this is what I will say

In January, even if one of our big men goes down to injury and is out for a significant time, I will still maintain that booting Matz in hope of securing Crandall was the right gamble to make and it simply didn't pay off. It's ok to admit that sometimes you still have to take risks but just because they didn't work out for you doesn't mean they weren't the right moves at the time.

OK, that's better. Still not sure (if that happens) I agree but I've always been risk averse.

It's one thing to be a good teammate and come off the bench, to watch others play in crunch time and be supportive. It's an entirely different thing to actively seek out a bench role over a starting position. Geno claims he wants to play basketball after college and starting in the B1G (if that was available to him) is a much better path than coming off the bench anywhere else. I've never personally played with or talked with anyone who would prefer to come off the bench and likely be sitting on that bench when games are decided. Transfers are almost always about fit, they don't go to the best program that shows interest, but the program where they have the best chance to be featured. Ryan Taylor transferred from Evansville this offseason and had UCLA, Arizona, and Indiana interested among others and ended up at Northwestern. Matt Mooney transferred from South Dakota this offseason and had Michigan, Ohio State, and Oregon among others interested and ended up at Texas Tech. What's my role trumps what is the teams likely win/loss record.

I'm still confused. So you said him choosing Gonzaga makes it clear that he didn't believe he would be the starter in Minnesota. That implies you think he will be starting for Gonzaga, or at least that he believes he will start for Gonzaga but not Minnesota (unless you think he believes he won't start in either place). I would guess that he believes he would start for either program.

This ^^^^^^^

Well Matz could’ve left on his own but it very very very likely had something that to do with Geno.

Geno decided to grad transfer late in the process, Richard is interested, and...Matz suddenly decides to leave?

I'm still confused. So you said him choosing Gonzaga makes it clear that he didn't believe he would be the starter in Minnesota. That implies you think he will be starting for Gonzaga, or at least that he believes he will start for Gonzaga but not Minnesota (unless you think he believes he won't start in either place). I would guess that he believes he would start for either program.
I think he's trying to say, if Crandell thought he was going to be in a 6th or 7th man type situation either way, might as well go to the better overall team

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This ^^^^^^^

1. Ever since July 18th of last year when Omersa committed, Matz would have known that Oturu, Murhpy, Curry and Omersa would be his competition for minutes in the front court. He would have known what the front court rotation would have potentially looked like for some time, its not like we recently just added another stud big man.

2. I don't know this for a fact but I would think he knew he was going to graduate in the spring of 2018 and it was close to a certainty unlike Crandall.

3. He announced he was transferring exactly two days after Pitino had a meeting with Crandall, a superior player, and his father.

Any negative thread regarding Geno Crandall not choosing the U of MN over Gonzaga is ridiculous. Gonzaga is REALLY good and has multiple NBA players on their team. He may or may not care about starting, and people implying his starting is more important to his career after college is ludicrous. If he's good enough to play professionally, he will play. There are plenty of D3 players who play professionally. He wants to start on a team that has a chance to win and win big. Doesn't get much better than Gonzaga for that.

On the positivity angle for the Gophs, I am excited to see what Brock Stull can do. He is a good player (yes I've seen him play a few times). He's strong and can shoo it. He's not a point guard but can manage in a pinch. Dupree being healthy is the key to a top-half finish in the league, IMO.

Chalk up another to the failed excitement over potential recruits. Losing count at this point and the successes are very few

Chalk up another to the failed excitement over potential recruits. Losing count at this point and the successes are very few

I know what you're saying, but there are only a small number of scholarships available each year. There will always been many, many more no responses than yes responses.

It's what all fan bases do.

Fixed it for you.

Any other possible grad transfers still out there that could at least provide some depth?

Top Bottom