Geno Crandall

Sounds like he wouldn’t have been able to transfer to the U even if he wanted to.. whatever, we only really wanted him cause we lack PG depth. If Carr is able to be eligible than our whole pursuit of him would be rather pointless

Carr’s possible eligibility was almost surely a factor anyway. How could it not be? Would’ve been a very crowded backcourt, while the path to PT elsewhere is crystal clear. Still pissed though, now that it’s come out that Geno told Pitino he was coming and then backed out.

Let’s just hope Carr is indeed eligible and this is all moot. Kind of looks like every waiver is being granted at this point.

Sounds like he wouldn’t have been able to transfer to the U even if he wanted to.. whatever, we only really wanted him cause we lack PG depth. If Carr is able to be eligible than our whole pursuit of him would be rather pointless

Even if Carr became eligible it could have looked something like
PG: Washington/Crandall
SG: Mcbrayer/Carr
SG: Coffey/Stull

effectively pushing Hurt out of the rotation and giving us a complete 10 man rotation.

Oh well.

Guys! Put it to rest.... get over it, we are better off and who the hell cares what he does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

964 threads about a kid who strung along Pitino about grad transferring back home only to find out he wouldn't have been eligible in time anyways.

He has earned his UND degree (finished the last of his 19 summer school credits including his "incomplete" this past Monday), is now on Gonzaga's roster and is practicing. Geno starts Grad School classes a week from Tuesday (10/23).

BTW it'd be fun to run into you guys in the Round of 16 this season (the 1/4 or 2/3 matchup) ... I see a high ceiling for the Gophers.

That means schools still using the quarter system, instead of semesters, have I would argue an unfair advantage. I hope this is something the NCAA looks at in the future. So in other words, no they won’t.

That means schools still using the quarter system, instead of semesters, have I would argue an unfair advantage. I hope this is something the NCAA looks at in the future. So in other words, no they won’t.

I don’t think that’s the case. Here it’s a split semester system (two sessions), not quarters. According to the U of M web site, Minnesota appears to have the same thing with a few classes. (Half semesters).

I wouldn’t be surprised, though, if admissions uncertainties here played some role ultimately; everyone local knows the U is not known for helping its fb and bb programs get borderline players in.

The one thing I’m confident about, from sources that have proven trustworthy, is he told Pitino he was coming here and then went back on it (his “silent verbal,” if that’s what you want to call such things). Hope we knock him out of the tournament.

Hate to bump this thread but saw on the ESPN ticker that Geno Crandall is out 4-6 weeks with a hand injury.

I know at this point it's fairly irrelevant to Gopher hoops but found it interesting.

In games Gonzaga has won by less than 20, Crandall has two total points.

I wouldn’t be surprised, though, if admissions uncertainties here played some role ultimately; everyone local knows the U is not known for helping its fb and bb programs get borderline players in.

That ranking of the Big Ten basketball coaching jobs posted here some time ago included admission standards as one of the factors. Minnesota was the third toughest in the conference (behind Northwestern and Michigan).

you mean old slivers in his arse? Could care less, maybe he should have kept his word.

He played (and scored) quite a bit against bad teams. Against good teams he has not had a lot of opportunities. I hope he is enjoying his season and gets healthy. The STrib will run many stories about him if Gonzaga keeps winning.

That ranking of the Big Ten basketball coaching jobs posted here some time ago included admission standards as one of the factors. Minnesota was the third toughest in the conference (behind Northwestern and Michigan).

This is what I have talked about again and again. Support your teams. Just let the kid in if he is going to help your team. Find a way. Other schools do all the time. Michigan might have tougher admission standards, but I bet they never use it as an excuse when they have a football or basketball stud they need on the team. Not a chance in hell they reject good players because of this.

This is what I have talked about again and again. Support your teams. Just let the kid in if he is going to help your team. Find a way. Other schools do all the time. Michigan might have tougher admission standards, but I bet they never use it as an excuse when they have a football or basketball stud they need on the team. Not a chance in hell they reject good players because of this.

Dumb. It's a school first.

ok, we didn't recruit a local kid who has gone onto what we here in the Middle West would call NCAAB success. You can't take em all but when the top local kids say no and then the staff misses on the second level local kids.....you get a crap program.

ok, we didn't recruit a local kid who has gone onto what we here in the Middle West would call NCAAB success. You can't take em all but when the top local kids say no and then the staff misses on the second level local kids.....you get a crap program.

Second level kids playing behind Curry and Omersa for 2 and 3 years years just aren't going to commit, they want to play and go to a program that fits their ability and needs not neccessarily the best program.

Second level kids playing behind Curry and Omersa for 2 and 3 years years just aren't going to commit, they want to play and go to a program that fits their ability and needs not neccessarily the best program.

I agree with this. We all wake up and hope that pitino signs three 4 or 5 star guys to finish our recruiting for 2019, but lets be honest, there isn't alot of playing time to sell the recruits right now. With the exception of Hurt, nobody that comes here will start next year. We can sell some playing time, but there isn't much out there for next year! There of course is some playing time if your good enough, but some of these recruits want more than we probably have to offer!

Dumb. It's a school first.

Tell that to the rest of em. Seriously, I get what you are saying, but that's not the way it works in high end athletic programs. Thus the reason Minnesota is consistently middle to middle bottom of the Big Ten.

Tell that to the rest of em. Seriously, I get what you are saying, but that's not the way it works in high end athletic programs. Thus the reason Minnesota is consistently middle to middle bottom of the Big Ten.

That's what i always laugh at. Just because your borderline with grades in high school doesn't mean you can't shine in college. It's almost impossible to fail out of school if on an athletic team. You can get all the help in the world. There are study groups, tutors available anytime for you, etc. Just because someone is borderline doesn't mean they have no chance at succeeding at your school.

That is the way it works. You think Notre Dame, Duke and Stanford are taking academic rejects? Be serious.

Yes, I do. Or they are paying kids. Stanford probably not, they suck at everything.

Notre Dame football? Most definitely. Duke? All the one and done's? Jeff Capel? Yes, they are cheating more than anyone I'd say. Go down the list. One way or another, kids are getting help at a number of places and usually, it's places that win big.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...rades_how_schools_cheat_to_keep_athletes.html

Yes, I do. Or they are paying kids. Stanford probably not, they suck at everything.

Notre Dame football? Most definitely. Duke? All the one and done's? Jeff Capel? Yes, they are cheating more than anyone I'd say. Go down the list. One way or another, kids are getting help at a number of places and usually, it's places that win big.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...rades_how_schools_cheat_to_keep_athletes.html

Cheating is not the only way to win. Sorry. That attitude is what put a black mark on this program that still exists decades later.

Stanford sucks at everything? Wow. You really are clueless, aren't you?

https://thedirectorscup.com/2018/06/2017-18-division-i-learfield-directors-cup-final-standings/

"Stanford finished out the year atop the final 2017-18 Division I Learfield Directors’ Cup standings with 1442.00 total points. The Cardinal recorded four national championships this year – men’s soccer, women’s soccer, women’s swimming and diving and women’s tennis. In addition, Stanford tallied 12 top-10 finishes."

Football - In eight years under David Shaw, 3 conference championships, 5 division championships, 6 top-20 finishes, 3 top-10 finishes, and 2 Rose Bowl wins.

Basketball - Not great, but 2 Tournament appearances in the last 10 years, and 4 Tournament wins, far more than our one in 28 years.

All of this while being easily one of the top universities in the world.

You're either not too bright, or are trolling. Either way, the joke's on me, I guess.

That is the way it works. You think Notre Dame, Duke and Stanford are taking academic rejects? Be serious.

Most definitely Duke and Notre Dame are taking athletes who would not qualify for admission in the general student body. I believe Stanford may be the only academically elite institution that doesn't. I know people who tutored athletes at both Duke and ND, who said the kids were decent human beings, but were completely ill-prepared for that level of academic rigor. Academic rejects, no. Not qualifying for admission if not athletes, absolutely. I think there is a difference. Lots of people would not have been admitted to Stanford, but are not an academic rejects either.

That having been said, I think most institutions reduce their academic requirements for athletes. I'm not sure if the U does, but most do. The potential risk is the APR but that is years down the road.

Most definitely Duke and Notre Dame are taking athletes who would not qualify for admission in the general student body. I believe Stanford may be the only academically elite institution that doesn't. I know people who tutored athletes at both Duke and ND, who said the kids were decent human beings, but were completely ill-prepared for that level of academic rigor. Academic rejects, no. Not qualifying for admission if not athletes, absolutely. I think there is a difference. Lots of people would not have been admitted to Stanford, but are not an academic rejects either.

That having been said, I think most institutions reduce their academic requirements for athletes. I'm not sure if the U does, but most do. The potential risk is the APR but that is years down the road.

Right. If that is the discussion, then yes. Almost every school lowers their admissions requirements for student-athletes, including the University of Minnesota. That's not what's being insinuated here.

Right. If that is the discussion, then yes. Almost every school lowers their admissions requirements for student-athletes, including the University of Minnesota. That's not what's being insinuated here.

Again, THIS.

That is a sound answer.

The best non blue blood programs find kids that are considered 2nd tier by other scouts but not their own and they continue to win year after year. They often join loaded rosters and are not afraid to compete for playing time. These kids pick coaches, school, success, location. You must out scout and out develop the schools your going to compete with and beat. Study the programs that have done it, won big and who their recruits were. The constant is having a tremendous coach. It is the coaches job.

i know for a FACT that they are taking substandard students. A guy I knew well had a very below average high school GPA and was a 2 star recruit without a lot of other offers to play football, and he ended up as a scholarship player at one of the schools you mentioned. If they will take that for a 2 star guy, imagine what they would do for a 4-5 star guy.

Top Bottom