Geno Crandall

Sounds like Crandall has targeted July 4 for announcing where he’s headed. Would expect Gonzaga or Xavier, places where NCAA bids are expected, and common. If he can play immediately, my money’s on X.

Stockman is gone. Wow. Good sign for Crandall coming here?

I said pretty much the same thing in another thread awhile back when people were wringing their hand about not getting McKinley Wright or Brad Davison, that the staff were likely looking at taking 1 guard and 1 big in the 2017 class so that the big man would ideally have a year of experience under his belt before taking over as the starting center in 2018-19. We ended up giving up on freshman bigs and took Jamir Harris instead, and then brought in Stockman to fill the role of the experienced big man on this team. I agree with you that it would be a hit to our big man depth to get rid of Stockman and, even with the excitement of adding a skilled Minnesotan to the team, Pitino would receive criticism for taking Stockman in the first place, a guy who had to sit out in a year when we ended up having major depth issues, and then having him leave without playing a game.

And exactly what I said wouldn’t happen looks like it’s going to happen.

Just saw Ryan James tweet that Matz is transferring as well..we could have a pretty dang good crew at guard this year

Do the nay sayers still think this will be a near the bottom of the B1G team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the nay sayers still think this will be a near the bottom of the B1G team?

Define “near the bottom”, please.

If Crandall is indeed replacing Stockman, and is eligible this season, I’ll bump up Gophers at least one peg, perhaps more.

Stockman is gone. Wow. Good sign for Crandall coming here?

According to Ryan James, Crandall worked out with the current players (open run, obviously not formal practice) as recently as Saturday. While nothing is official, all signs point to Crandall joining the Gophers. The speculation was that he wanted to grad transfer to Minnesota, or at least there was chatter of it, at the TC Pro-Am last summer. Some fascinating stuff on a TGB podcast put out yesterday, though some of it is dated info now.

Define “near the bottom”, please.

If Crandall is indeed replacing Stockman, and is eligible this season, I’ll bump up Gophers at least one peg, perhaps more.

You guys.... this is a great thing!

Adding a guard as good as geno could elevate MN much higher than keeping a backup center. I'd rather go into the fight w a bunch of good shooting guards than centers.

Could it hurt us? Sure. But likely Pitino is willing to go with less post players and more shooters. I approve!

If we get Geno and Carr becomes eligible we will be LOADED at guards
Carr, IW, Geno, Stull, Coffey, Pree can all play point and 2 (Coffey 3 too)
Plus Kalscheur is 2 guard.
Would have the shooters with Geno, Kalscheur, Stull, Pree, Coffey, Hurt
Post would be thin though with Oturu, Murphy, Curry, Omersa only. Hurt too.
Regardless I take Geno if we can too good to pass up.

Now if we get lucky and get Reid Travis...we are no joke total contenders.
Pg: IW//Carr
Sg. Stull/Pree/Kalscheur
Sf. Coffey/Hurt
PF Murphy/Curry/Omersa
C Reid/Oturu

If we get Geno and Carr becomes eligible we will be LOADED at guards
Carr, IW, Geno, Stull, Coffey, Pree can all play point and 2 (Coffey 3 too)
Plus Kalscheur is 2 guard.
Would have the shooters with Geno, Kalscheur, Stull, Pree, Coffey, Hurt
Post would be thin though with Oturu, Murphy, Curry, Omersa only. Hurt too.
Regardless I take Geno if we can too good to pass up.

Now if we get lucky and get Reid Travis...we are no joke total contenders.
Pg: IW//Carr
Sg. Stull/Pree/Kalscheur
Sf. Coffey/Hurt
PF Murphy/Curry/Omersa
C Reid/Oturu

If we get Geno, I really hope Carr sits a year. Much rather have him for 3 years starting in 2019 as opposed to wasting a year as 3rd string PG.

Yeah definitely a good point. Don’t want to bury good players on bench and have them transfer

If we get Geno, I really hope Carr sits a year. Much rather have him for 3 years starting in 2019 as opposed to wasting a year as 3rd string PG.

If we got Crandall and Carr became eligible, both would play. Hurt would be the one who would get pushed out of the rotation as either Stull or Dupree would backup Amir at the 3.

It would look like

PG: Isaiah/Carr
SG: Dupree/Crandall
SF: Coffey/Stull
PF: Murphy/Omersa
C: Curry/Oturu

Man that would be the best gopher bench in a long, long time. And obviously there is a zero percent chance of this happening but imagine imagine if Reid told Richard he wanted to come here and gave Hurt the boot in addition to Carr becoming eligible.

PF: Murphy/Curry
C: Reid/Oturu

I usually tryto stay away from fantasizing about gopher "super team" lineups as it only causes disappointment. Did it way too frequently with Tyus, Vaughn, Whitehead and Reid back in 2013-14. It is fun though.

If we got Crandall and Carr became eligible, both would play. Hurt would be the one who would get pushed out of the rotation as either Stull or Dupree would backup Amir at the 3.

It would look like

PF: Murphy/Omersa
C: Curry/Oturu

Man that would be the best gopher bench in a long, long time. And obviously there is a zero percent chance of this happening but imagine imagine if Reid told Richard he wanted to come here and gave Hurt the boot in addition to Carr becoming eligible.

PF: Murphy/Curry
C: Reid/Oturu

Stop the Hurt slander. The kid has been nothing but a great representative of this program and worked his ass off on the court. He’ll be fine. Most players aren’t studs as underclassmen.

Stop the Hurt slander. The kid has been nothing but a great representative of this program and worked his ass off on the court. He’ll be fine. Most players aren’t studs as underclassmen.

I wasn’t slandering him. If Reid along with Geno both wanted to come here and Pitino decided to open up another scholarship, Hurt would simply be next on the chopping block. I suppose you could maybe make a case for Kalscheur but I don’t think he’d do that to an incoming freshman.

Woah. Kalscheur is going to be good don’t even bring that idea up

Woah. Kalscheur is going to be good don’t even bring that idea up

I didn't grow up here so these high schools mean nothing to me and I normally don't follow Minnesota high school basketball or high school recruits in general. However, for the first time today I watched some senior year footage of Kalscheur and I must say he appears to be able to do a lot of things. He's got good size for a guard, athleticism, can handle the ball a bit, can shoot outside and post up, and seems to have good instincts and court vision. I'm not predicting he'll be an instant success like Murphy but I'm guessing it's unlikely that he's not a significant contributor within his first two years.

I don't know how you could read this anyway other than Stockman is leaving to make room from Crandall. I think the "Reid Travis" nugget is just to not appear like Crandall was a done deal before something was announced with Stockman.

I have no idea how Crandall's game will translate to the B1G, but I am encouraged that he shot over 50% from the field in both his Sophomore and Junior seasons and improved his 3 pt% to 41.7% as a Junior. Defensively, I am encouraged by his ability to average right around 2 steals a game for his entire career. To me, more efficient shooting and the ability to create more turnovers on defense were two of the biggest needs for this team. Crandall, on paper at least, seems like he could really help in both areas. I also really like the idea of Isaiah having to compete for the point guard spot as opposed to just having it handed to him. The biggest concern with Crandall would be his turnovers at over 3 per game, which gives him a less than stellar assist to turnover ratio.

Looking at his individual game logs, it's very tough to get a read on how his game will translate to the high major level: He had rough games as a Junior @Nebraska and @Creighton, but was fantastic at Gonzaga (28 pts, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals also SEVEN turnovers). As a Sophomore, he was mostly solid at Iowa (again a huge turnover game with 5, but had 4 assists, 3 steals and was 5-11 from the field) and had a nice performance in the NCAA tournament against Arizona (5-9 from the field, 6 assists,. 2 steals). So overall, a mixed bag against high majors with a couple really high turnover games

Are you predicting he'll be a "stud" as an upperclassman?

The talk about Carr becoming eligible is fantasy at best, and delusional at worst, making most of this conversation moot. While it may be a good idea to let players leave without sitting when their coach gets fired, I can't see the schools letting that one go without a fight. That fight won't be resolved by September. Thus, no Carr.

Doogie chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom