Geno Crandall

He is an explosive scorer but watching him 10 or so times at UND last year he takes a lot of dumb unnecessary fouls and is a little out of control causing bad turnovers at times. Gonzaga writers have said he is very likely to start for them.

This continues to be the big disconnect IMO. Geno would be a nice player to have, but if he’s better than the starter(s) Gonzaga had in the backcourt then you cannot convince me they had a top-5 roster to begin with. I suspect they are slightly overselling both (ie, both the quality of their team and his likely role). I never thought Perkins was that good so if he’s still the starting PG, I’m already skeptical.

This continues to be the big disconnect IMO. Geno would be a nice player to have, but if he’s better than the starter(s) Gonzaga had in the backcourt then you cannot convince me they had a top-5 roster to begin with. I suspect they are slightly overselling both (ie, both the quality of their team and his likely role). I never thought Perkins was that good so if he’s still the starting PG, I’m already skeptical.

I think Crandall may start for Gonzaga early in the year as Perkins works his way back to full strength from shoulder surgery which limited him as last season wore on, but I think Geno likely settles into more of the Silas Melson role for them as top backup at PG or SG which is essentially playing starter minutes.

Pretty sure their starting lineup will be:

Josh Perkins
Zach Norvell Jr
Rui Hachimura
Killian Tillie
Brandon Clarke

Would have been a nice add for the Gophers too but I think we will still be fine & have a good shot at being a tourney team. Last year pretty much everything that could go wrong for the Gophers did so hopefully they have much better luck this year and Pitino can add another good recruiting class for 2019 and build some more momentum for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like what we have and what will have in the coming years, but the problem is we are set up for the whole thing to go titsbup with only ten scholarship players. Pitino won't survive that again, can't have that three out of four and really four out of five years. Gotta stay healthy, his job will probably depend on it and you never want things out of your hands deciding your Faye, especially when you're dealing with college kids

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

He wouldn't have started over Dupree and there is no guarantee he would have started over Washington either it would have been a good combination but having seen plenty of both of them I would've brought Geno off the bench. He is an explosive scorer but watching him 10 or so times at UND last year he takes a lot of dumb unnecessary fouls and is a little out of control causing bad turnovers at times. Gonzaga writers have said he is very likely to start for them.

No chance he would have came off the bench here.

I so badly want to see Geno regret his decision when our Gophers beat the Zags in a tourney game. Not likely, I know. But I’m say’in there’s a chance (one in a million, but it’s still a chance).

I so badly want to see Geno regret his decision when our Gophers beat the Zags in a tourney game. Not likely, I know. But I’m say’in there’s a chance (one in a million, but it’s still a chance).

I like your thinking!

I've seen him play plenty and I disagree. Not saying he isn't a solid player just like Washington and McBrayer more. Maybe that is the reason that he isn't here.

I have watched quite a few games of him very closely over the past month, specifically against Gonzaga, Nebraska, Weber State, Iowa and Wisconsin, and from what I've seen, he is a superior player to both, especially Washington. Superior defender both in terms of staying with his man and coming up with steals, more willing passer, superior shooter to IW and probably a slightly better shooter than Dupree and a better finisher than either. If he would have came here he'd have had a chance to be a third team big ten or honorable mention caliber player.

I have watched quite a few games of him very closely over the past month, specifically against Gonzaga, Nebraska, Weber State, Iowa and Wisconsin, and from what I've seen, he is a superior player to both, especially Washington. Superior defender both in terms of staying with his man and coming up with steals, more willing passer, superior shooter to IW and probably a slightly better shooter than Dupree and a better finisher than either. If he would have came here he'd have had a chance to be a third team big ten or honorable mention caliber player.

You don’t know how much Washington has improved? Obviously, Pitino, Nate, etc have been working hard to develop him into the Gophers starting PG. No way Geno would have taken his starting spot and everyone has him slotted as coming off of he bench in Spokane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don’t know how much Washington has improved? Obviously, Pitino, Nate, etc have been working hard to develop him into the Gophers starting PG. No way Geno would have taken his starting spot and everyone has him slotted as coming off of he bench in Spokane.

If Geno would have been that much better of a PG then IW which I absolutely think he would have been then he would have started regardless of what Pitino’s original plans for IW would have been.

He did play his best in big games but watching him at UND throughout the season he was very up and down. Lots of dumb fouls that put him on the bench. Bad turnovers where you really wondered what he was thinking a group of UND season ticketholders use to call him the ballhog. Isaiah is a much better passer but you didn't see the results as much last year because we had a guys like BK and Gaston with stone hands. Not a great defender gets lost on screens easily. I'd definitely say Dupree is better and Isaiah probably is too. He is a good shooter but shot selection was very questionable at times. I'm taking Isaiah and a healthy Dupree before Geno and it really isn't all that hard of a decision.

Dupree and Washington should be solid next season...Geno shooting a very high end for a guard 50% plus overall and 42% from 3 largely discredits any evaluation concluding he has shot selection issues....turn over issues yes...defense and shot selection issues no.

408ee4acbacae5944235a363327eb5b4.png

Did you think this was clever as you were typing it?
Maybe some people don't know the full history of why Geno went to UND and would like to know the answer without a side of snark?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Maybe some people don't know the full history of why Geno went to UND and would like to know the answer without a side of snark?

He was told either earlier in this thread or in the 2018 thread, I know so because I told him

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nope. He’s a good player, not that good. Not a better shooter than DuPree, who was a significantly better 3-point shooter in 2016-17 than Geno. This past year should not have even been playing and I believe, if healthy he will improve upon his sophomore numbers.

It’s funny - freshman and transfers are always viewed as better than what we have until they get here. Last year at this time there was debate by some if IW would turn pro after his freshman year.

Nope. He’s a good player, not that good. Not a better shooter than DuPree, who was a significantly better 3-point shooter in 2016-17 than Geno. This past year should not have even been playing and I believe, if healthy he will improve upon his sophomore numbers.

It’s funny - freshman and transfers are always viewed as better than what we have until they get here. Last year at this time there was debate by some if IW would turn pro after his freshman year.

OK, first off, he was a little better in 2016 than Geno. Dupree made 1.1 three's a game for 40.9% while Geno that year made 1.2 three's a game for 35.5% albeit against worse competition.

I don't know how comparing Geno in 2016 to Dupree in 2016 is relevant as to who's a better shooter. Why not compare their best year or their career instead of cherrypicking one year. If you look at their career numbers, Geno is a 36.7% shooter from 3 and has made 1.2 three's a game on average. Dupree is a career 34.9% 3 point shooter and has averaged 1.0 three made per career. If you look at it by comparing each's best year, Geno is better at 1.6 three's made a game for 41.7% while Dupree is 1.1 three's made per game for 40.9%. Geno also has much better numbers for two point shots as well, both in terms of percentage and total makes.

Lastly, I don't see how bringing up how we viewed IW last year is relevant as Crandall is a proven D1 player and has a body of work against several major conference or NCAA tournament teams. IW played against HS kids. Over Geno's three years, he has played 11 times against teams either from a major conference or teams that made the NCAA tournament that year. These include 2015 @Wisconsin, 2016 @Iowa, 2016 vs 2 seed Arizona, 2017 @#5 Gonzaga, @Nebraska, 2017 @Creighton and 2015 Big Sky champ Weber State (x3) and 2017 Big Sky champ Montana (x3). His numbers in those 11 games are as follows, 14.1 PPG, 4 .1 RPG, 3.9 APG, 2.1 SPG, 40% from the field and a whopping 60% from three. 24-40 from three in those 11 games.

OK, first off, he was a little better in 2016 than Geno. Dupree made 1.1 three's a game for 40.9% while Geno that year made 1.2 three's a game for 35.5% albeit against worse competition.

I don't know how comparing Geno in 2016 to Dupree in 2016 is relevant as to who's a better shooter. Why not compare their best year or their career instead of cherrypicking one year. If you look at their career numbers, Geno is a 36.7% shooter from 3 and has made 1.2 three's a game on average. Dupree is a career 34.9% 3 point shooter and has averaged 1.0 three made per career. If you look at it by comparing each's best year, Geno is better at 1.6 three's made a game for 41.7% while Dupree is 1.1 three's made per game for 40.9%. Geno also has much better numbers for two point shots as well, both in terms of percentage and total makes.

Lastly, I don't see how bringing up how we viewed IW last year is relevant as Crandall is a proven D1 player and has a body of work against several major conference or NCAA tournament teams. IW played against HS kids. Over Geno's three years, he has played 11 times against teams either from a major conference or teams that made the NCAA tournament that year. His numbers in those 11 games are as follows, 14.1 PPG, 4 .1 RPG, 3.9 APG, 2.1 SPG, 40% from the field and a whopping 60% from three. 24-40 from three in those 11 games.

I wasn’t cherry picking. I was picking the most recent year you could really compare. DuPree should not even have played most of last year, he didn’t practice, etc. The grass isn’t always greener...

I wasn’t cherry picking. I was picking the most recent year you could really compare. DuPree should not even have played most of last year, he didn’t practice, etc. The grass isn’t always greener...

Would have made more sense to compare each's best year from three instead of comparing each's sophomore year from three. That is more fair comparison IMO.

It took all of 20 seconds to look up that he had only one offer out of HS and didn’t choose UND over he Gophers.

Top Bottom