Geno Crandall

Gonzaga has also made it to 20 straight NCAA Tournaments including the sweet 16 or better in 4 straight with a National Title game appearance and elite 8 appearance in that time frame and have had several players drafted into the NBA in the last 10 years. Mark Few often plays 3 guards as he did frequently last year with Josh Perkins, Zach Norvell & Silas Melson & the previous year with Perkins, Melson & Nigel Williams-Goss. The Zags also do have a lot of games that are televised on ESPN as well...obviously most of them are late night as a western school. I think Crandall probably chooses the Gophers, but I’m sure it’s a difficult decision as it is two other very quality programs that are recruiting him.

Gonzaga plays in a lousy conference not much better than North Dakota’s, they don’t have a national tv network, and most of their games are in the middle of the night. Plus he would not be starting there, regardless of what they’re trying to tell him now.

Xavier is a middle of the pack big east team with a new HC who’s never coached D1 before. They may or may not make the NCAA tournament even if they got Geno.

Come on, Geno, this is an easy decision! You’ll be a hero here on a really good team, and your legacy here would last long after basketball. Don’t make it hard!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Forks Herald: UND's Geno Crandall nearing transfer decision

Outgoing UND men's basketball standout Geno Crandall is close to announcing his next destination.

Crandall, who has elected to graduate transfer, will announce Thursday whether he will play at the University of Minnesota, Gonzaga or Xavier, according to multiple Twin Cities media reports.

The Minneapolis native, who went to DeLaSalle High School, led UND with 16.6 points per game last year and collected a Big Sky Conference-best 67 steals.

Crandall has yet to graduate from UND, but the all-Big Sky guard is taking summer courses to finish his degree.

Crandall, who's 6-foot-4 and 180 pounds, is UND's 14th all-time leading scorer, seventh all-time in assists and fourth all-time in steals.

He shot 41.7 percent from the 3-point line and 72.8 percent from the foul line a year ago as UND finished 12-20 overall.

Crandall, who helped UND to the program's first NCAA Tournament appearance as a sophomore, started his junior season with a 41-point performance against Troy in Hawaii, which is a school record in the Division I era.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...-unds-geno-crandall-nearing-transfer-decision

Go Gophers!!

Gonzaga plays in a lousy conference not much better than North Dakota’s

You've made so many absurdly asinine comments in this thread that it's hard to pick out just one, but I'll start here. This is a preposterous and demonstrably false statement. In 2017-18 alone - in Sagarin's conference ratings, the WCC is 11th out of 33, and the Big Sky is 23rd. The Sagarin ratings of the top 5 WCC teams were 12-36-73-138-148 (407), while the top 5 Big Sky teams were 98-131-156-172-179 (736). As you can see from the numbers quoted, if you put the two conferences together, 5 of the top 7 teams would be out of the WCC. The Big Sky has 4 teams worse than the WCC's worst. I am certain that an analysis of the RPI numbers would yield similar results. The WCC usually has 2 bids and sometimes has even had 3. I'm pretty sure that the Big Sky has never had a 2nd bid.

Seriously, people can read and fact-check the things that are posted here.

You've made so many absurdly asinine comments in this thread that it's hard to pick out just one, but I'll start here. This is a preposterous and demonstrably false statement. In 2017-18 alone - in Sagarin's conference ratings, the WCC is 11th out of 33, and the Big Sky is 23rd. The Sagarin ratings of the top 5 WCC teams were 12-36-73-138-148 (407), while the top 5 Big Sky teams were 98-131-156-172-179 (736). As you can see from the numbers quoted, if you put the two conferences together, 5 of the top 7 teams would be out of the WCC. The Big Sky has 4 teams worse than the WCC's worst. I am certain that an analysis of the RPI numbers would yield similar results. The WCC usually has 2 bids and sometimes has even had 3. I'm pretty sure that the Big Sky has never had a 2nd bid.

Seriously, people can read and fact-check the things that are posted here.
Point still stands but I believe UND is going to the Summit this year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The WCC is not a quality conference nor a highly visible one, let’s leave it at that, Asperger’s.

The WCC is not a quality conference nor a highly visible one, let’s leave it at that, Asperger’s.

A. I don't have Asperger's - wanting to have a conversation based in fact and not made-up nonsense is not a symptom of Asperger's. When Hodger posts a ton of facts about the NCAA Tournament (like he did earlier in this very thread, 12 posts ago), why don't you attempt to make fun of him with your oh-so-clever Asperger's jokes?

B. Why do you like to use Asperger's as an insult? Do you think you're better than people with Asperger's? Are they worthy of your scorn, mockery, and derision? I mean, what a bunch of pieces of sh1t, right?

I'd also like the board to note that I discussed the topic at hand, while you made a piss-poor attempt to mock and attack me personally. Real upstanding individual you are.

For the sake of my own curiosity, I looked up the WCC tourny bids since the 2011-12 season (2012 tourny). That was the first season BYU was in the WCC.

2011-12 - 3 bids - Gonzaga, St Marys (WCC champ), BYU
2012-13 - 2 bids - Gonzaga (WCC champ), St Marys
2013-14 - 2 bids - Gonzaga (WCC champ), BYU
2014-15 - 2 bids - Gonzaga (WCC champ), BYU
2015-16 - 1 bid - Gonzaga (WCC champ) (St Marys was 27-5, lost in WCC championship)
2016-17 - 2 bids - Gonzaga (WCC champ), St Marys
2017-18 - 1 bid - Gonzaga (WCC champ) (St Marys was 28-5, lost in WCC semi)

It won't be much of an adjustment for him...

Yep, he's played well against P5 teams and GU over the last three years. He's scored in double figures 5 out of the 6 times he's played against major teams including 28 @Gonzaga and 19 in Madison.

Gonzaga has also made it to 20 straight NCAA Tournaments including the sweet 16 or better in 4 straight with a National Title game appearance and elite 8 appearance in that time frame and have had several players drafted into the NBA in the last 10 years. Mark Few often plays 3 guards as he did frequently last year with Josh Perkins, Zach Norvell & Silas Melson & the previous year with Perkins, Melson & Nigel Williams-Goss. The Zags also do have a lot of games that are televised on ESPN as well...obviously most of them are late night as a western school. I think Crandall probably chooses the Gophers, but I’m sure it’s a difficult decision as it is two other very quality programs that are recruiting him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, and half of the B1G conference would have a similar record if all they had to be was WCC champs each year. The Zags have had some good teams and some good players, but their accomplishments are exaggerated because of the easy route to the tourney. They are not a blue blood program and Geno should not view them as one. The lights are not that bright.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea, and half of the B1G conference would have a similar record if all they had to be was WCC champs each year. The Zags have had some good teams and some good players, but their accomplishments are exaggerated because of the easy route to the tourney. They are not a blue blood program and Geno should not view them as one. The lights are not that bright.

Even if you don't view Gonzaga is a top shelf program, Geno is only looking at a one year commitment, and Gonzaga is getting top 5 preseason hype. If his sole concern is playing for the best team possible, Gonzaga seems like much more of a sure bet than either Minnesota or Xavier. Hopefully he cares more about playing time and hometown pride.

Zero chance that half the big 10 would have matched what the Zags have done. Big 10 teams have a simple path to get to the tourney and few have won 28 games over that period. I think he will pick the Gophers but the program here is a complete joke when measured against Gonzaga. We are not even a .500 conference record over history and have something like 3 conference titles in over 85 years. This is the year to win one, year 6, loaded roster, weak conference.

This is the year to win one, year 6, loaded roster, weak conference.
In what universe is this roster "loaded?" We have a slew of injured warriors, three unproven rookies and two/one warrior(s) who have never played for this team. At best we can say we have the potential to be over .500.

In what universe is this roster "loaded?" We have a slew of injured warriors, three unproven rookies and two/one warrior(s) who have never played for this team. At best we can say we have the potential to be over .500.

We can say that without Crandall. With him I'd say that becomes more likely than not with a possible chance at top 3 conference finish.

What has dpo said for you to call him Asperger's? I'm not sure what you're going for there, but it's really making you look like a jackass.

We can say that without Crandall. With him I'd say that becomes more likely than not with a possible chance at top 3 conference finish.
I don't see the connection. Crandall isn't the second coming of Steph Curry. He, like Stull is a good mid-level player who may or may not thrive at Minnesota.
This is no rap on Crandall, but on people who have unrealistic expectations for a team that needs time to get used to teammates.
My expectation is that the Gophers can be in the top 8 this season. Winning the conference? That's pretty much a pipe dream.

In what world are you living in to suggest that this years team, with the potential of Crandall, is a Top 3 team in the B1G?

Despite all the graduating players and losses to the NBA from teams such as MD, UM and MSU, their recruiting classes over the past several years have dominated ours. And their coaching has proven to be better too. Nebraska and OSU wont be cake walks either.

I'm hoping the Gophers quickly gel and Randall commits, but even if those things come true I cannot see this team being any better than a Top 5 team, not Top 3.

I think this team will have its hands full with the likes of Wisconsin, IU and Purdue.

I don't see the connection. Crandall isn't the second coming of Steph Curry. He, like Stull is a good mid-level player who may or may not thrive at Minnesota.
This is no rap on Crandall, but on people who have unrealistic expectations for a team that needs time to get used to teammates.
My expectation is that the Gophers can be in the top 8 this season. Winning the conference? That's pretty much a pipe dream.

Crandall is a much better overall player than Stull is and would be a top 3 player for us next year along with Amir and Murphy. He would be the best perimeter defender we've had at least since Austin Hollins and Al Nolen and would give us a definite upgrade at the most important position on the court. He can finish, shoot the 3 at a high rate, is a great passer and great defensive player.

Again, I think the gophers can be top 8 without Crandall given the return of Murphy, one of the best returning players in the country, Amir, a guy who has a decent chance to play in the league if you ask me and be an All Big Ten player, a quality starter in Dupree, a quality grad transfer in Stull who should be a great 6th man, a top top 60 recruit in IW who I think is ripe for a breakout season, a decent big coming back from injury in Curry and a top 50 recruit in Oturu coming in. Of course that can easily all change with an injury or too but as the roster stands right now, this is a top 8 roster in the Big Ten and an NCAA tourney team.

In what world are you living in to suggest that this years team, with the potential of Crandall, is a Top 3 team in the B1G?

Despite all the graduating players and losses to the NBA from teams such as MD, UM and MSU, their recruiting classes over the past several years have dominated ours. And their coaching has proven to be better too. Nebraska and OSU wont be cake walks either.

I'm hoping the Gophers quickly gel and Randall commits, but even if those things come true I cannot see this team being any better than a Top 5 team, not Top 3.

I think this team will have its hands full with the likes of Wisconsin, IU and Purdue.

I said would have a possible chance at a top 3 finish. I didn't say I'm expecting it.

Crandall is a much better overall player than Stull is and would be a top 3 player for us next year along with Amir and Murphy. He would be the best perimeter defender we've had at least since Austin Hollins and Al Nolen and would give us a definite upgrade at the most important position on the court. He can finish, shoot the 3 at a high rate, is a great passer and great defensive player.

Again, I think the gophers can be top 8 without Crandall given the return of Murphy, one of the best returning players in the country, Amir, a guy who has a decent chance to play in the league if you ask me and be an All Big Ten player, a quality starter in Dupree, a quality grad transfer in Stull who should be a great 6th man, a top top 60 recruit in IW who I think is ripe for a breakout season, a decent big coming back from injury in Curry and a top 50 recruit in Oturu coming in. Of course that can easily all change with an injury or too but as the roster stands right now, this is a top 8 roster in the Big Ten and an NCAA tourney team.
Top 8 is what I said. What I don't agree with is the idea that this upcoming team is a title contender...with or without Crandall.

Top 8 is what I said. What I don't agree with is the idea that this upcoming team is a title contender...with or without Crandall.

Everyone has their own opinion. I see a team fighting for the top. They should be in year 6 and 8th place would be a horrible season. I see 7 quality players not counting Crandall. The addition of Jeter will bring out a far better defense.

I think the conference will have a lot more depth and be a lot more competitive. I would move the Gophers up a spot or two if we land Crandall. This is assuming everybody is healthy and stays healthy. The way I see the B1G as of now:
1.Michigan State
2.Indiana
3.Michigan
4.Maryland
5.Nebraska
6.Minnesota
7.Purdue
8.Wisconsin
9.Ohio State
10.Iowa
11.Illinois
12.Penn State
13.Northwestern
14.Rutgers

Our offense at times seemed very vanilla last year. Lot's of guys standing around, no movement, etc. Will landing better talent change that? Doesn't coach Pitino need to kick it up a notch too? I'd hate to see the same crappy offense again this year.

I think the conference will have a lot more depth and be a lot more competitive. I would move the Gophers up a spot or two if we land Crandall. This is assuming everybody is healthy and stays healthy. The way I see the B1G as of now:
1.Michigan State
2.Indiana
3.Michigan
4.Maryland
5.Nebraska
6.Minnesota
7.Purdue
8.Wisconsin
9.Ohio State
10.Iowa
11.Illinois
12.Penn State
13.Northwestern
14.Rutgers

Northwestern at 13?
We'll see how it plays out, but the number of unknowns here at MN keeps me very cautiously optimistic.

Our offense at times seemed very vanilla last year. Lot's of guys standing around, no movement, etc. Will landing better talent change that? Doesn't coach Pitino need to kick it up a notch too? I'd hate to see the same crappy offense again this year.
True. The Globetrotter weave, while two others watch, got old.

I said would have a possible chance at a top 3 finish. I didn't say I'm expecting it.

And there is also a possibility that they win the NCAA tournament and that Jesus Christ flies me to Mars. You implied there was a better than average chance with the addition of Crandall.

Top Bottom