Geno Crandall

last week he said no point in doing an official at the U since he spent time there and knows the guys....this is a plus

last week he said no point in doing an official at the U since he spent time there and knows the guys....this is a plus

If Crandall was anything close to a lock, Pitino wouldn't have felt the need to push for an official.

I heard him say that in the Doogie interview, and took that to mean he already knew he was coming here. The fact that he now needs an OV indicates how dicey this situation has become.

Why would you interpret that as he’s coming here. Tyus said he didn’t need to visit MN cause he knew all about the campus.

I heard him say that in the Doogie interview, and took that to mean he already knew he was coming here. The fact that he now needs an OV indicates how dicey this situation has become.

never said he was coming here with doogie...Pitino probably just wanted to show Geno some love with a nice visit...if the wife says you do not need to buy me a birthday gift...no harm in doing so ...and probably not a bad idea.

So it seems that Geno has been many places lately, except for Grand Forks. And I know he's on a roster for the Pro-Am league. How is he going to summer classes? Is he taking online courses?

So it seems that Geno has been many places lately, except for Grand Forks. And I know he's on a roster for the Pro-Am league. How is he going to summer classes? Is he taking online courses?

Dear God people, listen to his interview in the Scoops podcast if you must. In it, he said Pitino offered him the official visit when he was on campus with his dad touring facilities and getting to know the team. Since then, he regularly talks to the guys on the team and plays open runs with them. Crandall said it was not necessary, he lives 10 minutes from campus, knows all the guys and can go there whenever he wants.

He also said he'll officially graduate in early August, the school is working with him to get the paperwork done and get him to his new school without issue for fall semester. It's more of a formality than anything. I don't have any inside info, but from what I've read and gleaned from him talking, I would be very surprised if he doesn't choose MN early next week. He wants a chance to play on a winning team, and wants family and friends to be able to watch his final year of collegiate hoops.

It's not pure coincidence that Stockman leaving and Crandall visiting were within days of each other.

What is the difference between unofficial and official? Do you get to wear a jersey on an official? Get a free meal? Get hooked up with a hottie? (Oh wait, that's Louisville)

Is there a slight chance Pitino is pressing to get him to commit before he goes to Gonzaga? Cause I feel that if he goes there he is gone. Spokane is pretty sweet.

These last-minute credit and/or grade situations almost always have a way of working out when they involve D1 basketball or football players. If it seems impossible, it isn't. The joy of online courses! Have zero doubt he'll be locked & loaded this season for the Gophers, Gonzaga, or Xavier.

And now I have to correct myself, not realizing Crandall was on an OV with the Gophers today. My apologies, didn't read the posts from late last night. Got to think Pitino wants a commitment today, even if he still plans on visiting Gonzaga. Official visits just mean everything is paid for by the school, they usually involve meals, time in the facilities and in most cases, an overnight stay. Not sure what could be accomplished in a half-day that wasn't already, other than a commitment. Feels sort of like NFL free agency, don't let the guy leave without agreeing to terms on a contract. Even if he does visit Gonzaga, I would still be very surprised if he's not a Gopher.

What is the difference between unofficial and official? Do you get to wear a jersey on an official? Get a free meal? Get hooked up with a hottie? (Oh wait, that's Louisville)

Is there a slight chance Pitino is pressing to get him to commit before he goes to Gonzaga? Cause I feel that if he goes there he is gone. Spokane is pretty sweet.

I'm sure there is more to it, but official visits are paid for by the school, where as you have to pay out of pocket for unofficial visits. I assume officials are more elaborate, but that's just an assumption.

This is what Brian Snow of 247 posted Gonzaga's premium board:

"I have a bit more to add here.

Xavier visit went very well. I don't think there was ever much of a chance of him committing before he got to Gonzaga. That said, Geno fit in really well with the players at Xavier and really liked the coaches.

Obviously the Gonzaga visit is coming up this weekend. Geno will stop by Minnesota today, but by all accounts it sounds like Minnesota is a pretty distant third at the moment, and most everybody I talk to thinks it will be Xavier or Gonzaga.

If I had to guess today the guess would be Xavier, but that is obviously pre-Gonzaga visit. I don't think in 4 days or whatever I would be surprised to guess Gonzaga. I think this could still go in either direction, and neither coaching staff can feel too good about it, because Xavier has done a really good job and there is no doubt Gonzaga will do a really good job this weekend."

Xavier visit went very well. I don't think there was ever much of a chance of him committing before he got to Gonzaga. That said, Geno fit in really well with the players at Xavier and really liked the coaches.

Obviously the Gonzaga visit is coming up this weekend. Geno will stop by Minnesota today, but by all accounts it sounds like Minnesota is a pretty distant third at the moment, and most everybody I talk to thinks it will be Xavier or Gonzaga.

If I had to guess today the guess would be Xavier, but that is obviously pre-Gonzaga visit. I don't think in 4 days or whatever I would be surprised to guess Gonzaga. I think this could still go in either direction, and neither coaching staff can feel too good about it, because Xavier has done a really good job and there is no doubt Gonzaga will do a really good job this weekend."

I don't believe for a second that Minnesota is a "distant third".

I really, really hope he has bad info or is making unsubstantiated assumptions.

It would be an unmitigated train wreck if Geno goes elsewhere. Matz was basically kick out to make room for Geno!

My guess is that snow is blows big time on this. He incorrectly thinks that the gophs will stink again next season and that will spook geno...fact is tha Xavier has equal to or more question marks than the u and it is up to Pitino to point this out to geno as well as put forth objective based pitch on why the gophs will dance and more next season. Sure geno enjoyed being courted by X his first ever big time official visit. Gonzaga will rock him also....fact is a the gophs are where is family wants him to play and he has positive relationships with the players...and he really likes mpls...believe each player gets 4 tickets per home game...great opportunity to have his family at his games

snow is basically a cincy guy though he lives in Indy. guessing his sources are from xavier

Same guy also said a couple days after Geno announced he was transferring that he didn't really have anything concrete or a feel for Geno. So more than likely his source on this is someone with the Xavier program and I'm sure that is how they feel. Geno wasn't really recruited hard his first time around so I think he is just really enjoying the process this time.

I don’t like to speculate and won’t blame kids for where they choose to go to school... So if he does pick Xavier or Gonzaga, what I hope is that people will chill the F out on the local recruiting narrative that Pitino doesn’t show enough love. It really looks like he opened a scholarship up for Geno and which leaves him vulnerable to a lot of criticism from the lost scholarship of Matz. He’s bringing the kid in for a official between the other competing schools. Geno could single handedly make his hometown school rock solid by filling the only remaining major void (imo). At this point Pitino has really done all that he can. Geno knows the talent on this team and how he’d complement it. It’s up to the him now.

If Geno doesn’t come here, I’ll still cheer him on since he is fun to watch, but I’m going to be really annoyed the next time I read about how Pitino isn’t locking down the fences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we lose Geno I can't defend Pitino. I hate Creaming as is, but the first rule to cleaning is land the ****in player you're doing it for in the first place. He created a depth issue in the front court to try to create a very good back court, we will now be thin at both the one and the five. It's almost ****in July there ain't **** out there to fill the void besides Geno.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If we lose Geno I can't defend Pitino. I hate Creaming as is, but the first rule to cleaning is land the ****in player you're doing it for in the first place. He created a depth issue in the front court to try to create a very good back court, we will now be thin at both the one and the five. It's almost ****in July there ain't **** out there to fill the void besides Geno.

This post couldn't wait a few hours? We might get him.... or maybe not but why blow out all of those asterisks at this point?

Maybe someone else has made this point but its ridiculous to boot Stockman to then wait on a kid to make up his mind. The player you had in mind shouldn’t be taking visits AFTER you made that decision. Do you think that little of Matz as a player that you are risking having a vacant scholarship for what could be Pitino’s make or break season here? I like the additions of Carr and Stull but the mismanagement otherwise do not paint a pretty picture of the program. The uncertainty with coaches you have to think has a lot to do with the lack of buzz in recruiting as well. I hope Geno commits and this is a moot point but can’t run from the red flags that have gone up in the past year.

Looks like BG made the same point I did a couple minutes ago haha. Regardless it’s a bad situation. We shouldn’t be playing a waiting game on Geno.

I don’t like to speculate and won’t blame kids for where they choose to go to school... So if he does pick Xavier or Gonzaga, what I hope is that people will chill the F out on the local recruiting narrative that Pitino doesn’t show enough love. It really looks like he opened a scholarship up for Geno and which leaves him vulnerable to a lot of criticism from the lost scholarship of Matz. He’s bringing the kid in for a official between the other competing schools. Geno could single handedly make his hometown school rock solid by filling the only remaining major void (imo). At this point Pitino has really done all that he can. Geno knows the talent on this team and how he’d complement it. It’s up to the him now.

If Geno doesn’t come here, I’ll still cheer him on since he is fun to watch, but I’m going to be really annoyed the next time I read about how Pitino isn’t locking down the fences.

Agree with this. Pitino is 100% making a hard play for a good team THIS YEAR, and Crandall was his best chance for that to happen. If he loses Geno, it will not be for a lack of all-out effort.

I listened to the podcast and believe we are not a “distant third” choice for Geno. The home-town pull is very strong for him. However, the other coaches are no slouches, and it appears to me that Geno May be more on the fence now than originally thought/hoped. I’m guessing that Pitino wisely wants to make one last strong impression with his message before he goes on what could be a game-changing visit to Gonzaga. I’m feeling now that this could go in any of the three directions. These guys are good at their sales pitches, and it is tough for these kids. My prediction is that one factor pulls it out for The Gophers in the end: The chance for his family and friends to watch him at every home game. I believe it will come down to that factor vs. a greater likelihood of a final four trip with Gonzaga.

This post couldn't wait a few hours? We might get him.... or maybe not but why blow out all of those asterisks at this point?
The mis management of this whole situation is a gong show. You hang on to Matz as insurance until the deed is done, at least Tubby was smart enough to keep Chip around while waiting to hear on Mbakwe getting a 6th year. It's cut throat, but if you're committing yourself to Creaning you have to be all in. I hope I am wrong and Geno is golden but it's clearly far from a sure thing. I doubt Geno is Golden if he goes on his Gonzaga visit. For the record I'll be glad to eat crow if I am wrong.

Top Bottom