Geno Crandall

This is starting to remind me of the Reid Travis recruitment. All that’s missing are the supposed GH “insider” scoops that he’s committing here.

The way this would be like the Travis situation is that the player all but assured Pitino he was going to sign here, and Richard believed him. All speculation, but if that's indeed what happened, there's a strong chance they cut Stockman loose based on such an assurance.

It would be an unmitigated train wreck if Geno goes elsewhere. Matz was basically kick out to make room for Geno!
We have no idea why Matz left. Let's drop the unsubstantiated rumor that he was told to leave.

A lot of conclusions and accusations being made off of total speculation. It is amazing how many people “think” they know everything and have already made up their mind up. And of course they will say Pitino lucked out when Geno suits up as a Gopher. Remember that he said his parents only got to see him play in one game last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have no idea why Matz left. Let's drop the unsubstantiated rumor that he was told to leave.

Very seriously doubt that Matz was asked to leave. Likely told of what kind of playing time was available and Matz decided on a better playing opportunity at a world class school. Also think Geno was brought in today to let him know the urgency of the offer. Very comfortable in how this has been handled and not remotely concerned if he comes or not.

A lot of conclusions and accusations being made off of total speculation. It is amazing how many people “think” they know everything and have already made up their mind up. And of course they will say Pitino lucked out when Geno suits up as a Gopher. Remember that he said his parents only got to see him play in one game last year.

I will give Pitino full credit if he lands Geno. I want to win, that's all I care about. I am just not naive enough to believe Matz leaving was a coincidence, he transferred here after Oturu and Omersa committed and Curry was already here. He could have left at anytime or not transferred here in the first place. Good for Matz landing at Cal, bad to let him walk without the Geno thing playing out

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It would be an unmitigated train wreck if Geno goes elsewhere. Matz was basically kick out to make room for Geno!

Thats a bit of an exaggeration. Again, if Curry and Oturu stay healthy and play decent at the 5 then not having Stockman won't really hurt too much regardless of whether we get Geno or not. It will only be a train wreck if we lose one of them for a substantial amount of time. Some of you guys are acting like thats a given which it isn't.

Also, if we don't get Geno which I think we will, I for one will still applaud Pitino for taking a necessary and worthwhile risk that simply didn't pay off for him. Even if he picks Gonzaga or Xavier, I will still maintain it was the right move to make given what we know now.

I will give Pitino full credit if he lands Geno. I want to win, that's all I care about. I am just not naive enough to believe Matz leaving was a coincidence, he transferred here after Oturu and Omersa committed and Curry was already here. He could have left at anytime or not transferred here in the first place. Good for Matz landing at Cal, bad to let him walk without the Geno thing playing out

Not to go all dpol on you but Omersa committed after Matz. April for Matz, July for Omersa. You're right on Oturu.

Very seriously doubt that Matz was asked to leave. Likely told of what kind of playing time was available and Matz decided on a better playing opportunity at a world class school. Also think Geno was brought in today to let him know the urgency of the offer. Very comfortable in how this has been handled and not remotely concerned if he comes or not.

I think the point still stands, though, that it was one to clear space for the other. If Pitino knew he wasn’t getting Geno or anyone else to fill that spot, the conversation with Matz would have been much different and it’s fair to believe he would certainly not be transferring.

The way this would be like the Travis situation is that the player all but assured Pitino he was going to sign here, and Richard believed him. All speculation, but if that's indeed what happened, there's a strong chance they cut Stockman loose based on such an assurance.

I think that’s the most plausible sequence.

Man, some of you guys need to work in politics, or maybe already do.

I've now seen multiple people try to brush off the idea that we sent Matz packing so that we could get Geno even though it was like two days after Geno announced he would grad transfer and met with Pitino that Matz "decided" to leave. (And it's fine with me that Pitino gave Matz a little encouragement to find greener pastures. He got his degree, and if Pitino thinks his scholarship can be better used then by all means send him packing. But let's stop pretending that's not what happened.)

And I've also seen someone try to spin this whole situation as a positive even if we don't get Geno with the logic being that at least it shows our highly paid coach is trying and "it was still the right move to make given what we know now."

Some high quality stuff there. I'm impressed.

I've now seen multiple people try to brush off the idea that we sent Matz packing so that we could get Geno even though it was like two days after Geno announced he would grad transfer and met with Pitino that Matz "decided" to leave. (And it's fine with me that Pitino gave Matz a little encouragement to find greener pastures. He got his degree, and if Pitino thinks his scholarship can be better used then by all means send him packing. But let's stop pretending that's not what happened.)

And I've also seen someone try to spin this whole situation as a positive even if we don't get Geno with the logic being that at least it shows our highly paid coach is trying and "it was still the right move to make given what we know now."

I'm with you. Spot on.

I don’t like to speculate and won’t blame kids for where they choose to go to school... So if he does pick Xavier or Gonzaga, what I hope is that people will chill the F out on the local recruiting narrative that Pitino doesn’t show enough love. It really looks like he opened a scholarship up for Geno and which leaves him vulnerable to a lot of criticism from the lost scholarship of Matz. He’s bringing the kid in for a official between the other competing schools. Geno could single handedly make his hometown school rock solid by filling the only remaining major void (imo). At this point Pitino has really done all that he can. Geno knows the talent on this team and how he’d complement it. It’s up to the him now.

If Geno doesn’t come here, I’ll still cheer him on since he is fun to watch, but I’m going to be really annoyed the next time I read about how Pitino isn’t locking down the fences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, he isn't "locking down the fences," regardless of Geno's decision. Would you rather be lied to?

I'm not trying to say it will be a positive outcome if we don't get Geno, nor do I care if he is "trying" or not. What i'm saying is that neither Richard nor us should regret or second guess his decision to give Matz the boot in the event we don't get Geno, he and us should accept that he made the right move, played the odds and unfortunately got burned.

I think its all moot though as I am confident he will commit to us shortly after his Gonzaga visit.

Thats a bit of an exaggeration. Again, if Curry and Oturu stay healthy and play decent at the 5 then not having Stockman won't really hurt too much regardless of whether we get Geno or not. It will only be a train wreck if we lose one of them for a substantial amount of time. Some of you guys are acting like thats a given which it isn't.

Well they are both coming off pretty serious injuries that required surgery with many months of recovery so it's not like people are just pulling the idea of them getting hurt out of thin air. IIRC Oturu isn't even able to go through full practices with the team until Sept/Oct.

Well they are both coming off pretty serious injuries that required surgery with many months of recovery so it's not like people are just pulling the idea of them getting hurt out of thin air. IIRC Oturu isn't even able to go through full practices with the team until Sept/Oct.

One of them will be coming off of a serious injury...Curry. Oturu has a long timetable but his injury is not thag serious. Its an injury that he likely played through a lot of his senior year and decided to get the surgery out of the way before college. Would be willing to bet within a near certainty this injury does not affect him expect for being rusty early on.

I agree with Curry but still think we will be just fine. Acl repairs with full recovery are becoming a dime a dozen these days.

Matz couldn’t leave until he graduated. Coming to the U gave Matz a chance to play at the U or be a grad transfer. So Matz had more options than people tend to assume and Pitino couldn’t make him stay. We may never know the details, it could have been a mutual decision or made by Matz alone or Pitino could have encouraged him to go. Obviously, Matz did a better job of making sure he was able to graduate better than Geno.

Well, he isn't "locking down the fences," regardless of Geno's decision. Would you rather be lied to?

Missing the point good sir. The fences aren’t real. It’s a lazy argument that doesn’t have a place in 2018 college basketball. I’d prefer to discuss the merits of Pitino’s recruiting ability based on the circumstances of each individual.

Matz couldn’t leave until he graduated. Coming to the U gave Matz a chance to play at the U or be a grad transfer. So Matz had more options than people tend to assume and Pitino couldn’t make him stay. We may never know the details, it could have been a mutual decision or made by Matz alone or Pitino could have encouraged him to go. Obviously, Matz did a better job of making sure he was able to graduate better than Geno.

He wouldn’t have been able to leave but he could have still announced he was transferring a while ago like Stull, Crandall, Springs all did. Most grad transfers still have some coursework to still finish when they commit to another school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point was that people are making a lot of assumptions. There could be more to it that we don't know. It's very possible he was pushed out but we don't know for sure.

I think the point still stands, though, that it was one to clear space for the other. If Pitino knew he wasn’t getting Geno or anyone else to fill that spot, the conversation with Matz would have been much different and it’s fair to believe he would certainly not be transferring.

Agreed. My wording (cut him loose) is probably not the best way to say it. Pitino would have tried harder to keep him in the fold if the Crandall situation hadn't looked so promising.

Doogie predicted on 1500 this morning that Crandall will end up telling the Gophers no.

What a total cluster.

We will be short at the 5 and backcourt as well. We will be fine in all honesty at both assuming that Oturu can flurish and Curry is 100%. A rotation of Stull, Jelly and Pree is fine but injuries are always a factor.

Agreed. My wording (cut him loose) is probably not the best way to say it. Pitino would have tried harder to keep him in the fold if the Crandall situation hadn't looked so promising.

Yes. Another reasonable possibility is Matz saw us flirting with Crandall, knew he’d be the odd man out if it happened, and decided to take things into his own hands and not wait around for the axe to fall. Either way, the two are connected, and it’d be bad to lose Matz and not get Geno.

Doogie seems to have a good sense of the local guys. Basically called Terry and Wahl from the start as to where they would end up.

I am curious now to see if Pitino finds a warm body for the front court.

I'm nervous about Crandall, but he did say Omersa wouldn't come here. So who knows.

Top Bottom