Geno Crandall

I'm also curious as to who these kids are who are telling other players not to come to Minnesota. We breathlessly await a link or other proof of some sort.
He's just overzealous. Were sitting pretty with Dawson. If we miss on Zeke, we can take on Jones if it secures Garcia. Jones is a better than Headstrong was imo

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm....the head coach losing in state recruits and losing fan confidence. Sounds familiar.

It may not be as bad as the tubby era but Pitino is losing ground in MN AAU circles. Kids are telling others not to come here. Pitino is likely to strike out on the hugely talented MN 2019 class and doesnt look good for 2020 either.

Top players generally don't play for their "home school," especially when that school has mostly been terrible for a very long time. I forget, where are this year's freshmen from?

There are definitely some kids trying to push kids away from Mn, cough cough... nate reuvers steffon mitchell theo john and mckinley wright. There is always gonna be kids that are bitter how recruiting worked out, but theres plenty of kids instate that wanna be gophers. Pitino has a good relationship with most hs schools in state, just take a look at his team camps and notice pretty much every good hs team there, except lakeville north (pitino will likely never get anyone from that program).

There are definitely some kids trying to push kids away from Mn, cough cough... nate reuvers steffon mitchell theo john and mckinley wright. There is always gonna be kids that are bitter how recruiting worked out, but theres plenty of kids instate that wanna be gophers. Pitino has a good relationship with most hs schools in state, just take a look at his team camps and notice pretty much every good hs team there, except lakeville north (pitino will likely never get anyone from that program).

Pitino has more than enough good will with the state high school coaches as well as AAU. Reuvers was not bitter about his recruitment. He was going to Notre Dame or UW all along. I am very comfortable with how the state has been recruited. Kids pick schools for several reasons. There are more than a dozen states that produce far more talent than this state and loads of those kids leave their state as well. Look at the top 10 teams in the final AP poll and check out their rosters to see where kids come from.

Ruevers was very bitter about his recruitment. If you remember the article in the paper it was more about bashing the Gophers than it was his commitment.

Ruevers was very bitter about his recruitment. If you remember the article in the paper it was more about bashing the Gophers than it was his commitment.
He was mad that he wasn't as high of a priority. Pitino wanted Sims or John, they were better fits

McKinley Wright wanted to be here, and he had the opportunity to commit before Jelly and didn't, it was his fault.

He was mad that he wasn't as high of a priority. Pitino wanted Sims or John, they were better fits

Yet none are coming here, no?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yet none are coming here, no?

Nope but I'd take Oturu and Omersa over all of them. Omersa just as athletic as Sims and Oturu is the best of the bunch

Nope but I'd take Oturu and Omersa over all of them. Omersa just as athletic as Sims and Oturu is the best of the bunch

Let's see once the non-conference season starts. Oturu's surprise shoulder surgery is alarming. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Let's see once the non-conference season starts. Oturu's surprise shoulder surgery is alarming. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Let's just say Iam not worried about it. Until then enjoy grandstanding.

Let's just say Iam not worried about it. Until then enjoy grandstanding.

Taking a cautious approach to this program is hardly grandstanding.

I’m all in for the guys who want stay home and become Gophers!
Tried of these guys that think we are just a fly over state and pastures are greener elsewhere. Stay home and prove the blue bloods we can get to a great 8 or final 4

Tried of these guys that think we are just a fly over state and pastures are greener elsewhere. Stay home and prove the blue bloods we can get to a great 8 or final 4

Getting to a round of 9 game is being hot for 3 games. Win me a conference title or a final 4 berth. Those blue blood schools lose a ton of instate kids. Get really good players that are great kids from all over.

+1,000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmmm....the head coach losing in state recruits and losing fan confidence. Sounds familiar.

It may not be as bad as the tubby era but Pitino is losing ground in MN AAU circles. Kids are telling others not to come here. Pitino is likely to strike out on the hugely talented MN 2019 class and doesnt look good for 2020 either.

Five of the ten kids that will likely log significant minutes this year are from the State of Minnesota but yet the "local angle" continues to creep into many threads on this site. Perhaps we should try to fill all 13 roster spots with Minnesota kids, regardless of skill level?

Five of the ten kids that will likely log significant minutes this year are from the State of Minnesota but yet the "local angle" continues to creep into many threads on this site. Perhaps we should try to fill all 13 roster spots with Minnesota kids, regardless of skill level?

Woog!

Let me ask you this, if Bill Self, Coach K, or another blue blood coached the Gophers would our top talent players stay home?

per Shama:

Crandall, Travis, Talked U Transfer

It’s not that well-known but the Golden Gophers might have started next season with high profile grad transfers and Minneapolis natives Geno Crandall and Reid Travis in their starting lineup. Crandall’s decision to choose Gonzaga over Minnesota is a national story this summer and the former North Dakota guard told Sports Headliners about the background to his process in choosing a school that included communications with Travis who is leaving Stanford to play his final season of college basketball at Kentucky.

Crandall describes Travis as his “best friend,” and the two have played basketball together since they were five years old. They played on state championship teams in high school at DeLaSalle. Earlier this year the two texted about playing for the Gophers in their hometown. “We talked…about it and gave it some thought,” Crandall said.

Crandall averaged 16.2 points per game last season for the Fighting Hawks, leading the team in scoring. The 6-foot-3 Crandall was second-team All-Big Sky for the second consecutive season. Travis averaged 19.5 points and 8.7 rebounds for Stanford. The 6-foot-8 forward was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection.

The Gophers have a roster talented enough to prompt speculation they could earn their way into the NCAA Tournament next season. But with Crandall and Travis they could have been a Big Ten title favorite. “Oh, yeah, no doubt,” Crandall said.

Crandall believes Travis was influenced in choosing Kentucky because of the program’s national exposure and reputation for sending players on to the NBA. Those were factors that resonated with Crandall, too, in choosing Gonzaga.

The Zags are expected to be a top 10 team nationally. Crandall’s goal is to help the Bulldogs earn their way through the 2019 NCAA Tournament to the Final Four in Minneapolis. He knows how special it could feel playing for a national title in his home city.

Gonzaga has an opening for playing time in its starting backcourt. The path to playing time appeared more direct to him than at Minnesota where the Gophers have experienced players at both point and shooting guard. Those players include grad transfer Brock Stull from Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The decision to choose Gonzaga wasn’t easy. He thought a lot about both Minnesota and Xavier where former Gopher assistant coach and DeLaSalle player Ben Johnson now works.

“Honestly, it was probably the toughest decision I ever had to make in my life,” Crandall said. “The first time around, coming out of high school, it wasn’t such a hard decision because I didn’t have too many offers, or too many programs that I really loved.

“But it was an extremely tough decision to say no to the hometown team that I grew up watching. (Minnesota) coach (Richard) Pitino, I think he’s really building something special. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem in the cards for me for what I was looking for my last year…”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

And position too. People sometimes forget that you can't take 3 PGs in one season.

per Shama:

Crandall, Travis, Talked U Transfer

It’s not that well-known but the Golden Gophers might have started next season with high profile grad transfers and Minneapolis natives Geno Crandall and Reid Travis in their starting lineup. Crandall’s decision to choose Gonzaga over Minnesota is a national story this summer and the former North Dakota guard told Sports Headliners about the background to his process in choosing a school that included communications with Travis who is leaving Stanford to play his final season of college basketball at Kentucky.

Crandall describes Travis as his “best friend,” and the two have played basketball together since they were five years old. They played on state championship teams in high school at DeLaSalle. Earlier this year the two texted about playing for the Gophers in their hometown. “We talked…about it and gave it some thought,” Crandall said.

Crandall averaged 16.2 points per game last season for the Fighting Hawks, leading the team in scoring. The 6-foot-3 Crandall was second-team All-Big Sky for the second consecutive season. Travis averaged 19.5 points and 8.7 rebounds for Stanford. The 6-foot-8 forward was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection.

The Gophers have a roster talented enough to prompt speculation they could earn their way into the NCAA Tournament next season. But with Crandall and Travis they could have been a Big Ten title favorite. “Oh, yeah, no doubt,” Crandall said.

Crandall believes Travis was influenced in choosing Kentucky because of the program’s national exposure and reputation for sending players on to the NBA. Those were factors that resonated with Crandall, too, in choosing Gonzaga.

The Zags are expected to be a top 10 team nationally. Crandall’s goal is to help the Bulldogs earn their way through the 2019 NCAA Tournament to the Final Four in Minneapolis. He knows how special it could feel playing for a national title in his home city.

Gonzaga has an opening for playing time in its starting backcourt. The path to playing time appeared more direct to him than at Minnesota where the Gophers have experienced players at both point and shooting guard. Those players include grad transfer Brock Stull from Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The decision to choose Gonzaga wasn’t easy. He thought a lot about both Minnesota and Xavier where former Gopher assistant coach and DeLaSalle player Ben Johnson now works.

“Honestly, it was probably the toughest decision I ever had to make in my life,” Crandall said. “The first time around, coming out of high school, it wasn’t such a hard decision because I didn’t have too many offers, or too many programs that I really loved.

“But it was an extremely tough decision to say no to the hometown team that I grew up watching. (Minnesota) coach (Richard) Pitino, I think he’s really building something special. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem in the cards for me for what I was looking for my last year…”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

His path to playing time is less clear at Gonzaga than it is here. He is unlikely to start over Perkins, Norvell or Rui and here, he likely could have started over either IW or Dupree, he is a better player than both.

His path to playing time is less clear at Gonzaga than it is here. He is unlikely to start over Perkins, Norvell or Rui and here, he likely could have started over either IW or Dupree, he is a better player than both.

Imagine if those 2 had showed up for the 2018 season due to Pitino having awesome 2016 and 2017 seasons. sure its 'what if' thinking but it woulda been a real boost to yr over yr success.

Apparently he didn't think so

You play with who you have. Not with who you wish you had.

I like our players.

I think it's time to move on ...

This is Geno Crandall...relax.jpg...as far as I'm concerned. RIP Geno.

He wouldn't have started over Dupree and there is no guarantee he would have started over Washington either it would have been a good combination but having seen plenty of both of them I would've brought Geno off the bench. He is an explosive scorer but watching him 10 or so times at UND last year he takes a lot of dumb unnecessary fouls and is a little out of control causing bad turnovers at times. Gonzaga writers have said he is very likely to start for them.

You play with who you have. Not with who you wish you had.

I like our players.

I think it's time to move on ...

I actually like our players for the next couple years. Throw in that a Pitino strength is player development and good reasons to be excited to see how things play out.

Top Bottom