Geno Crandall

The comparison was for the WCC titles and thus their ticket to the tournament. The prior poster had asked why no one else has had the same type of domination playing weaker competition and that is where NDSU came in. I agree, the Zags eventually play with the big boys. I assume Gonzaga will be putting up a statute of Few, or some other tribute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All due respect (not really) this comment you've made in this post is a bunch of bull. You started this NDSU comparison thing after my initial post on this thread ... with the list of things Gonzaga has done that didn't involve the WCC. If it wasn't for you, I'd have left this thread after my initial post ... but no ... you've kept it up and kept it up, and now you're reinventing history/being less than truthful/using alternate facts. Here's the link ....

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?82514-Geno-Crandall&p=1565143#post1565143

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
I joined gopherhole.com back when it looked like Dan Monson "might" move to Minnesota (and don't post here all that often). Here's a couple of stats (that don't involve the WCC).

Schools with multiple NBA lottery picks over the last 3 seasons .... Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Washington

Schools that have danced the past 20+ seasons in a row ... Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, Gonzaga

Schools that have won at least one game in the dance the past 9 seasons ... Kansas, Gonzaga

Schools that have appeared in the Sweet 16 (or beyond) the past 4 seasons ... Gonzaga

Schools with 13+ NCAA tournament wins over the past 4 seasons ... North Carolina, Gonzaga

Here are the 6 guys that have earned the "Bill Walton Double/Double" the past 20 years (Top 5 All American and Top 5 Academic All American the same year ... Walton did it 3 times)
Shane Battier (Duke) Emeka Okafor (UConn) DJ Augustine (Texas) Dan Dickau (Gonzaga) Kelly Olynyk (Gonzaga) Nigel Williams-Goss (Gonzaga)
-----------
You are starting to sound like a NDSU fan.

Matz can be an off the bench big...at least the high major coaches who contacted him after he left the u think so....

Agreed he can be an off the bench guy. I think he fell further behind depth chart wise here than he would've liked. The timing more coincided with summer practices where those convos happen because rosters are mainly filled out. Cal has less depth and will hopefully be able to provide Matz the minutes he was hoping for. I think his leaving is more of an indicator that Jarvis isn't as raw as and can contribute next year for spot minutes.

I do not endorse forcing kids out and i do not believe RP did this. With more focus on 4 out he likely gave him a minutes projection and the kid decided on a program with a better chance at playing time. No big deal. Zero evidence that he was good enough to play much.

Just read this after I posted. This is very common and appropriate. It's good and fair communication between coach and player. Plus Matz came here specifically for more playing time. Read his interviews when he transferred here. Pitino has shown he doesn't bounce kids (Gas?),but he's honest with them which why some leave (Harris, Gilbert).

Plus Matz came here specifically for more playing time. Read his interviews when he transferred here.).

That’s just spin. Matz came here because Louisville needed to clear a spot. We did him a favor by providing a relatively familiar landing spot (Pitino) still in a major conference.

Or maybe it was the truth being told to a kid with limited eligibility to play left. Information that Matz was thankful to receive so that he could find a place where he could actually get minutes for once.

Would have been a completely different conversation though, if it were happening today instead of 3 weeks ago, or if Geno had never told Pitino whatever he told him (I’m betting there were strong indications if not an outright assurance, but that’s beside the point we’re making now). You can bet Pitino would sell Matz on staying and probably would’ve been successful.

Or, if Matz was set on transferring anyway, then that’s some real BS from him using a scholarship without playing a minute and then bailing at the very end of the next recruiting cycle. He didn’t really fulfill his end of the deal in that case. I suspect, though, that this was more on Geno, and he’s looking like the bad guy here until proven otherwise IMO.

That's not my attitude towards the program. We've sucked for most my life. I'd love for us to be relevant on a consistent basis.

If you’re not even old enough to remember the Final Four, four 1st rd picks in three years, and what the capability of this program really looks like, then go play with your iPhone or something instead of opining on the program.

If you’re not even old enough to remember the Final Four, four 1st rd picks in three years, and what the capability of this program really looks like, then go play with your iPhone or something instead of opining on the program.

I vaguely remember the FF run. I'm familiar with our history. We've made 11 tournaments since the expansion and 3 of them are vacated. I mean what the hell do you want me to think when we've won 1 tournament game this century? Given the lack of success during my lifetime it's a wonder I didn't jump ship to another team, but I won't. I've been through the ****tiest so I'm hoping to get rewarded for sticking around. You want to run me off because I'm younger, and don't slurp up the program at every turn, sorry to burst your bubble. I just try to be a realist towards the program. If that ruffles any feathers people will have to get over it. I'm not trying to come off as an Ahole, but trying to run me off of here, it's warranted.

All due respect (not really) this comment you've made in this post is a bunch of bull. You started this NDSU comparison thing after my initial post on this thread ... with the list of things Gonzaga has done that didn't involve the WCC. If it wasn't for you, I'd have left this thread after my initial post ... but no ... you've kept it up and kept it up, and now you're reinventing history/being less than truthful/using alternate facts. Here's the

With all due respect, you may not follow the subtleties between the NDSU references. The first was directed to you personally because you felt the need to boast about your program because it wasn’t getting the respect you felt it deserved. This is a classic NDSU football fan response that shows up multiple times a year. The second reference was in response to how much the Zags dominate their weaker competition, this was in reference to how NDSU dominates the weaker competition. It was made after someone pointed out that no one else is as dominant as the Zags.
Like I said many times, the Zags are a good program and the nature of their “auto-bids” over inflate their stature. I am flattered that I could keep your attention for so long. Good luck and enjoy the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I vaguely remember the FF run. I'm familiar with our history. We've made 11 tournaments since the expansion and 3 of them are vacated. I mean what the hell do you want me to think when we've won 1 tournament game this century? Given the lack of success during my lifetime it's a wonder I didn't jump ship to another team, but I won't. I've been through the ****tiest so I'm hoping to get rewarded for sticking around. You want to run me off because I'm younger, and don't slurp up the program at every turn, sorry to burst your bubble. I just try to be a realist towards the program. If that ruffles any feathers people will have to get over it. I'm not trying to come off as an Ahole, but trying to run me off of here, it's warranted.

It is not a matter of trying to run you off, it is just a matter of counteracting all the negativity. You do know that coach Pitino has had two season with the most wins in school history. The Gophers have 14 winning seasons out of the 19 seasons since Clem. Of course we want and expect better, but that is far from a program that sucked your whole lifetime. You have to remember that a great majority of that time the U was not in a position to have a great program, with the sanctions and decreased emphasis on supporting the team. We now have the money, the facilities and a young exciting coach that has the potential to turn us into a great program. But all we hear from the “fan base” is how much we suck and everybody else has a better program. No wonder none of the local kids want to stay home. I am not asking for blind faith, just a balanced does of reality and support for improving the program.

It is not a matter of trying to run you off, it is just a matter of counteracting all the negativity. You do know that coach Pitino has had two season with the most wins in school history. The Gophers have 14 winning seasons out of the 19 seasons since Clem. Of course we want and expect better, but that is far from a program that sucked your whole lifetime. You have to remember that a great majority of that time the U was not in a position to have a great program, with the sanctions and decreased emphasis on supporting the team. We now have the money, the facilities and a young exciting coach that has the potential to turn us into a great program. But all we hear from the “fan base” is how much we suck and everybody else has a better program. No wonder none of the local kids want to stay home. I am not asking for blind faith, just a balanced does of reality and support for improving the program.

I never even mentioned the Gophers in my first like 8 posts or something. I was just counter acting what everyone was saying in regards to Gonzaga. I've supported the gophers basketball for 20+ years. Sucked may have been a little harsh, but we haven't been good. That's the reality of it. I can be realistic by saying he haven't been good, and still be supportive at the same time, I pretty much have been that way my whole life. It's just a bad look on the fan base, when a kid commits to a superior program, then as a fan base bash that program. It's idiotic.

It is just a matter of personal opinion. Mine is that those winningest seasons in Gopher history is really a result of playing more games. I have had season tickets since the 60's and we have had several teams that were more successful than his two best years. Hell, his first year your talking about they were not even .500 in the conference.They 25 win team came nowhere near a conference title at 11-7. I do not think it is a stretch for someone to feel like the program has sucked if historically the conference winning % is under .500 and under Pitino 31-59. With all that said i am expecting a tremendous year this year. It is ok for a fan to aknowledge how terrible it has been and at the same time optimistic about the present. I for one think of that as open minded, realistic and loyal as hell.

It is just a matter of personal opinion. Mine is that those winningest seasons in Gopher history is really a result of playing more games. I have had season tickets since the 60's and we have had several teams that were more successful than his two best years. Hell, his first year your talking about they were not even .500 in the conference.They 25 win team came nowhere near a conference title at 11-7. I do not think it is a stretch for someone to feel like the program has sucked if historically the conference winning % is under .500 and under Pitino 31-59. With all that said i am expecting a tremendous year this year. It is ok for a fan to aknowledge how terrible it has been and at the same time optimistic about the present. I for one think of that as open minded, realistic and loyal as hell.

You are not wrong... I think we have the potential of having a very good program with a good young coach. I just get tired of people exaggerating how bad we are and how good everyone else is. The B1G is a very good conference and you have to a very good team to be in the top half. Of course, I expect Pitino to eventually be in the top 3-4 every year.

You are not wrong... I think we have the potential of having a very good program with a good young coach. I just get tired of people exaggerating how bad we are and how good everyone else is. The B1G is a very good conference and you have to a very good team to be in the top half. Of course, I expect Pitino to eventually be in the top 3-4 every year.

Think it is great your so optimistic. Top 3-4 every year is a big ask. My own big ask ask is a few conference titles in a 10 year stretch, counting the years he has had. Bo Ryan got that done. Tony Bennett won 3 of the last 5 ACC titles and two tourney titles at UVA . The right coach has no reason not to do that at Minnesota. Those two programs did not have great history. 31-59 IS A Embarrassment.

All due respect (not really) this comment you've made in this post is a bunch of bull. You started this NDSU comparison thing after my initial post on this thread ... with the list of things Gonzaga has done that didn't involve the WCC. If it wasn't for you, I'd have left this thread after my initial post ... but no ... you've kept it up and kept it up, and now you're reinventing history/being less than truthful/using alternate facts. Here's the link ....

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?82514-Geno-Crandall&p=1565143#post1565143
In fairness to alchemy...he's batsh!t crazy...[emoji33]

Potential to be good sure....sure.

Pitino had has one good season, one average season (didnt make ncaas) and 3 less than average to poor season.

Is this season does not end with success, NCAA bid, and possible tourney wins....he is gone and there is no way to rationalize otherwise.

You think we can be a too 3-4 b1g program? Of course we do....but so does everyone else if they have a good coach. We don't have one yet whether that is a more experienced Pitino or someone else.

Built badger is right. We have nothing to stand on since clem was kicked out. You make your money on NCAA success and we have won 1 tourney game since the 97 FF....1!!!!

Just win and then talk to me.

Potential to be good sure....sure.

Pitino had has one good season, one average season (didnt make ncaas) and 3 less than average to poor season.

Is this season does not end with success, NCAA bid, and possible tourney wins....he is gone and there is no way to rationalize otherwise.

You think we can be a too 3-4 b1g program? Of course we do....but so does everyone else if they have a good coach. We don't have one yet whether that is a more experienced Pitino or someone else.

Built badger is right. We have nothing to stand on since clem was kicked out. You make your money on NCAA success and we have won 1 tourney game since the 97 FF....1!!!!

Just win and then talk to me.
We're too busy wishing we had a great mens basketball program and not busy enough building a great mens basketball program. We accept mediocrity and wish it were greatness.
e8e5160c5c294491a9e68f9009b47c54.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We're too busy wishing we had a great mens basketball program and not busy enough building a great mens basketball program. We accept mediocrity and wish it were greatness.

Great post, perhaps the best of the year. We have fans who celebrate NIT titles. We have fans aiming for 3 rd or 4th place and claiming Pitino is a good coach. Does anyone think Bo Ryan is a good coach ? Like him or not, and i can see why people did not like him but he was a great coach with a precise plan to play wildly efficient on offense, great on defense and recruit to that regardless of rankings.

Great post, perhaps the best of the year. We have fans who celebrate NIT titles. We have fans aiming for 3 rd or 4th place and claiming Pitino is a good coach. Does anyone think Bo Ryan is a good coach ? Like him or not, and i can see why people did not like him but he was a great coach with a precise plan to play wildly efficient on offense, great on defense and recruit to that regardless of rankings.

Bo Ryan= awful human but he could take a bunch of slow, unathletic farm kids plus some overlooked MN metro kids (due to Monsons crap relationship skills) and place top 3 B1G years after yr. He and Dick Bennett took a downtrodden program and made It into a winner.

the people slamming Gonzaga are stupid. The zags and mark few built that from nothing. Granted they play in a bad league but they still make the tourney and win games there.

Point is....both these programs found ways to develop winners. I dont care about 4 stars this or whatever. They found a way to develop guys who will have more points per possession than the other team....simple as that.

MN has not. We dont seem to be able to find a coach who can create a system to consistantly outscore the other team. 3 coaches have not found a consistent way.

When we get to the point where people are trying to beat our game vs MN having beat someone else's game, then we have arrived. Until then, I am going to cry for change.

For the love that is all holy, please close this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your telling me this guy says we're his dream school and he wants his family to see all his games plus he works out with all the guys on team and it was between Gonzaga and Xavier? What am I missing?

Your telling me this guy says we're his dream school and he wants his family to see all his games plus he works out with all the guys on team and it was between Gonzaga and Xavier? What am I missing?

he's from und... nuff said

It takes time. Sure go ahead and fire your coach every couple of years because he hasn’t won a championship yet. And then whine about how we bad we are. That is not a winning attitude and you get the program you deserve.

If you can’t see the improvements under Pitino you are not looking or got an axe to grind. He is recruiting good classes, he improves his players, he is good at game planning, he is a good in game coach etc...

Been pointed out plenty of times but 31-59 is great improvements. Last year poor roster management taking on a kid for 2 years to play 1. (Not to mention kid never actually played). All indications are heading into the season with 10 scholarship players, (terrible roster management)if you don think there will be at least one injury or suspension you are not paying attention. If they are not an Ncaa tournament team this year cut bait. He has missed on two 4 star Minnesota kids already, it is July 9th and has zero commits.

QUOTE=alchemy2u;1566066]It takes time. Sure go ahead and fire your coach every couple of years because he hasn’t won a championship yet. And then whine about how we bad we are. That is not a winning attitude and you get the program you deserve.

If you can’t see the improvements under Pitino you are not looking or got an axe to grind. He is recruiting good classes, he improves his players, he is good at game planning, he is a good in game coach etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

It takes time. Sure go ahead and fire your coach every couple of years because he hasn’t won a championship yet. And then whine about how we bad we are. That is not a winning attitude and you get the program you deserve.

If all this is true then how in the world is he 31-59 in the Big 10? That's 13th out of the 14 B1G teams over the last 5 years -- we've been worse than everyone except Rutgers. Illinois fired their coach last year, and he had a noticeably better B1G record. Accepting that is not a winning attitude.

Two years is the life line for Pitino. He is a likable personality with a pedigree. That will only carry you so far. Why doesn't he hire his pops to be an assistant coach (with the condition that he promises to behave)?

Two years is the life line for Pitino. He is a likable personality with a pedigree. That will only carry you so far. Why doesn't he hire his pops to be an assistant coach (with the condition that he promises to behave)?
I like the guys Richard has. Perhaps Rick will show his face a bit more this year. Be awesome if he became the high school coach at like MPLS Henry or something like that. Like Nick Nolte character at the end of Blue Chips.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom