Geno Crandall

Spin Zone: Geno has been playing enough ball with the team to realize he’d be a bit player and wouldn’t be able to compete in the Big 10. He chose to go to a school where he could play cupcakes all year like he did at UND.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo. easy way out. jamal Crawford for zaga at best is what he will be. he was way overrated by some of you and media from the jump. he scored 6 points vs idaho st. not a big miss. chill w the "Jane" takes

Exactly. People can be so provincial. Traveled all over the world my whole life so i have never been that way. Like when we built our cabin here, our Minnesota friends bragged about 10,000 lakes. Alaska has 3 million ! Kids today to their credit are more open minded about going to school elsewhere.So many programs now are established national brands of success. In football at least i can back in history and find big success. In hoops it is no better than 8th in the conference for the U in terms of success. Has there ever been 4 consecutive above .500 conference record in our entire history ?

Many of us have traveled all over the world and understand that it has many great thinks to offer. It is not just being provincial, many young players have left the state and are wished good luck. It is the young players that go out of their way to claim their loyalty and admiration of staying home and then dump us at the alter that get criticized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course the Zags have a good program, but everyone has to admit that it’s accomplishments are over rated.
It isn’t quite fair to compare tourney experience between the U and the Zags. The U would have been to quite a few more tournaments if all they had to do was beat out St Mary for an automatic bid. And of course recruiting should have been better if you can almost guarantee to play in the tourney.

Well Matz could’ve left on his own but it very very very likely had something that to do with Geno.

Geno decided to grad transfer late in the process, Richard is interested, and...Matz suddenly decides to leave?
Yep, that's all we are privy to. The rest is pure speculation that fuels anger at Tino with no data to back it up.

1. Ever since July 18th of last year when Omersa committed, Matz would have known that Oturu, Murhpy, Curry and Omersa would be his competition for minutes in the front court. He would have known what the front court rotation would have potentially looked like for some time, its not like we recently just added another stud big man.

2. I don't know this for a fact but I would think he knew he was going to graduate in the spring of 2018 and it was close to a certainty unlike Crandall.

3. He announced he was transferring exactly two days after Pitino had a meeting with Crandall, a superior player, and his father.

Nice speculation. "I don't know this for a fact."

Of course the Zags have a good program, but everyone has to admit that it’s accomplishments are over rated.
It isn’t quite fair to compare tourney experience between the U and the Zags. The U would have been to quite a few more tournaments if all they had to do was beat out St Mary for an automatic bid. And of course recruiting should have been better if you can almost guarantee to play in the tourney.

Zags have had a grand total of 1 (one) Scout.com/247 Top 25 recruiting class ... ever. They "over achieve" every year. And it's MUCH MUCH easier to get to the dance as a middle of the pack Power 5 school (look at any metric/stat out there). And if winning a conference like the WCC (generally 7-12 out of the 31 D1 conferences) is so easy, why isn't anybody else doing it? And if winning games in the NCAA tournament year after year after year is so easy. why isn't anybody else (besides Kansas) doing it?

Priceless.

You do realize that on the few occasions Gonzaga didn’t earn the WCC’s automatic bid, its non-conference performance got them in the tournament, anyways? You act like they don’t beat anybody in the regular season, which they do. And they do it with a lot less opportunities than major conference teams like the Gophers have. Almost without fail, they have among the best non-conference schedules in the country.

Priceless.

You do realize that on the very few occasions Gonzaga didn’t earn the WCC’s automatic bid, its non-conference performance got them in the tournament, anyways? You act like they don’t beat anybody in the regular season, which they do. And they do it with a lot less opportunities than major conference teams like the Gophers have. Almost without fail, they have among the best non-conference schedules in the country.

You know, these days you can't be sure that someone "realizes" something even after you inform them. After all, you could just be spreading "fake news!"

Wow.

Zags have had a grand total of 1 (one) Scout.com/247 Top 25 recruiting class ... ever. They "over achieve" every year. And it's MUCH MUCH easier to get to the dance as a middle of the pack Power 5 school (look at any metric/stat out there). And if winning a conference like the WCC (generally 7-12 out of the 31 D1 conferences) is so easy, why isn't anybody else doing it? And if winning games in the NCAA tournament year after year after year is so easy. why isn't anybody else (besides Kansas) doing it?

Gonzaga get good transfers plus kids from overseas are not always included in recruiting ratings....they are the lone shark in the wcc pond

Except for those years when it's a 3 Bid league (BYU, St. Mary's, Gonzaga) a few times per decade.

The lone great white shark..st marys good, BYU solid....the rest big sky/summit league type programs.

Lil' Ricky screwed up his roster again, and 2019 is looking pretty sad.

We're in trouble.

Priceless.

You do realize that on the few occasions Gonzaga didn’t earn the WCC’s automatic bid, its non-conference performance got them in the tournament, anyways? You act like they don’t beat anybody in the regular season, which they do. And they do it with a lot less opportunities than major conference teams like the Gophers have. Almost without fail, they have among the best non-conference schedules in the country.

Spot on SS.

It's just simply amazing what some people think...and then apparently type. That's a quote you save for later in life and share it with somebody when you really need a good laugh.

Priceless.

Selection... I don't claim to have anywhere near the knowledge of basketball stats that you have, but you should at least check them before you try to ridicule someone for not knowing anything.
Gonzaga qualified 14 out of the last 18 years as an automatic bid!. Also, Gonzaga schedules some good non-conference opponents because they typically do not play many in their conference. Going back through the years, their non-conference games are not much more difficult than a typical B1G conference schedule and they consitently do not win a majority of them.

Let's just go with the last 11 years and their record versus top twenty five teams: underlined teams are in the Tourney
2007-08: 1-5 beat StM, lost to Wash St, Tenn, Memphis, StM, Davidson
2008-09: 3-3 beat Tenn (twice), StM, lost to uConn, Memphis, NC
2009-10: 0-3 beat nobody, lost to MSU, Duke, Syracuse
2010-11: 2-5 beat StJohns, Baylor, lost to SDSU, Kstate, Ill, ND, Baylor, BYU
2011-12: 1-1 beat StM, Lost to OhioSt
2012-13: 1-2 beat OKst, lost to Ill, Butler
2013-14: 0-2 beat nobody, lost to Memphis, Arizona
2014-15: 1-2 beat SMU, lost to Arizona, Duke
2015-16: 3-3 beat uConn, Setonhall, Utah, lost to Texas A&M, Arizona, SMU
2016-17: 6-1 beat IowaSt, Arizona, StM (three time), WVirg, lost to NC
2017-18: 2-2 beat StM, OhioSt, lost to FL, Nova

Like I said before, Gonzaga has been a good team, but a lot of it has to do with the conference that they are in and the ease they have in getting into the Tourney. Their non-conference record is nowhere near among the best in the country.

You continue to provide evidence that completely shuts down all these guys' arguments, but yet they still stand by their moronic comments with absolutely nothing to back any of their claims. I'm used to the fans being over the top with their bitterness about losing out on recruits, but this is one of the more embarrassing threads when it comes to comparing our program to Gonzaga's (and Xavier's, which we unfortunately already went through once when Macura chose them over us). This level of delusion reminds me of a certain president.

You do realize that on the few occasions Gonzaga didn’t earn the WCC’s automatic bid, its non-conference performance got them in the tournament, anyways?

Selection... I don't claim to have anywhere near the knowledge of basketball stats that you have, but you should at least check them before you try to ridicule someone for not knowing anything.
Gonzaga qualified 14 out of the last 18 years as an automatic bid!

Does 4 times out of 18 not count as a few, or what exactly are you trying to argue? I don't see how you've provided any evidence that refutes what he said. I have to hand it to you and a few other Gonzaga trash-talkers on here, you really never give up. Who cares about facts, right?

If they were in the Pac-12, they'd have a bigger budget and consequently the ability to build better facilities and pay their head/assistant coaches more, the draw of playing against a Pac-12 schedule every year, a higher likelihood of more players going to the NBA, etc., etc., etc. They recruit and compete as well as they do now even without all of the advantages of playing in a major conference.

Wrong...if they were in the Pac 12 they would have to play football and a bunch of other sports and couldn't focus as much on basketball.

You continue to provide evidence that completely shuts down all these guys' arguments, but yet they still stand by their moronic comments with absolutely nothing to back any of their claims. I'm used to the fans being over the top with their bitterness about losing out on recruits, but this is one of the more embarrassing threads when it comes to comparing our program to Gonzaga's (and Xavier's, which we unfortunately already went through once when Macura chose them over us). This level of delusion reminds me of a certain president.

There will always be fans that try and tear other programs down by finding one soft spot instead of being honest and looking at their own program and seeing nothing but absolute garbage especially on any comparison basis. It is the mentality that sets in when you can not find anything good about your own program.

Anyone know a little more about the zags and why they’re being ranked in the top 5 for next year? Do they have a couple big time recruits coming in for next year? I guess I don’t understand the high ranking as in last years tourney, I wasn’t all that impressed with them. The Norvell kid was good, the hachimura kid was overhyped, and the rest were average players. If Ohio St had shown up for the first 10 minutes of the game, the buckeyes would’ve beat them. And then in the sweet 16 against FSU, that game was a beat down. Zags had 0 chance against them. So long story short, unless the zags have a couple of difference making recruits coming besides crandall, I don’t understand the high ranking.

They return 2 potential first round picks in Tillie and Hachimura. And it should be noted Tillie didn't play against FSU, not saying he was the reason they lost, but not having him was pretty significant. They get Brandon Clark eligible, who's a transfer from San Jose State where he averaged 17 and 9. And they fill out the roster nicely with Perkins, Norvell, Kispert and Crandall. They are most definitely a top 5 team for next season.

they're always ranked in the top 5 or 10, thanks in large part to their ****ty conference. they have the potential to go undefeated every year. St. Mary's is their only legit competition.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Sure their conference isn't good, but they are most definitely a top 10 program at the moment.

And what proof do we have again that Matz didn't leave on his own?

This is a cop-out way to put it. We all know we’ll never get the details so it’s easy to say that there is no proof. It makes too much sense for Matz to have been forced out for it not true be at least partially true. There’s nothing wrong with it - he got an all expenses paid undergraduate degree, which is exactly what was promised to him. But some people really need to get their heads out of the sand when it comes to his departure. You can preface it with “was probably” forced out of it makes you feel better

hey, they are a good program. I don't deny that. but if they were even in the PAC 12, I'm not sure they'd be perennially ranked in the top 10 to start the season.

Over the last 4 seasons, they've probably been the best program in on the West Coast. They definitely would have been the best team in the Pac 12 last year and the year before IMO.

Zag’s will nut up they usually do. It’s always a race to see who underachieve Zags or Zona?

In the last decade the Zags have either played to their NCAA seed or exceeded their seed expectation in 9 years. That narrative only exists because they were upset as a 1 seed.

This is a cop-out way to put it. We all know we’ll never get the details so it’s easy to say that there is no proof. It makes too much sense for Matz to have been forced out for it not true be at least partially true. There’s nothing wrong with it - he got an all expenses paid undergraduate degree, which is exactly what was promised to him. But some people really need to get their heads out of the sand when it comes to his departure. You can preface it with “was probably” forced out of it makes you feel better

It makes too much sense to force out your only healthy center? I'm sorry, that argument doesn't hold a lot of weight for me. The only other center on the roster is a true freshman who's injured in Oturu. Curry is a power forward and is also coming back from injury.

Top Bottom