Geno Crandall

Colo st was never the clear fav.. Ben Johnson never recruited or coached geno...just another de guy...

per Shooter:

It’s looking like highly-sought Geno Crandall, the former DeLaSalle-North Dakota basketball star, could choose Xavier over Minnesota because of his relationship with former Gophers assistant Ben Johnson, the ex-Gophers assistant now with the Musketeers.

Colorado State was the clear favorite for the 6-4 point guard, who is visiting Gonzaga this weekend, but doesn’t have a scholarship available.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/30/charley-walters-stefon-diggs-will-be-next-viking-to-cash-in/

Go Gophers!!
Colorado State was never seriously in consideration Geno was going to just make a courtesy trip because of the relationship with Thorson but it just didn't work with his timeline.

I kind of agreed that the scholarship would get banked if we don't get Crandall, but in Short Ornery Norwegian's sports huddle recap, Pitino mentioned that "you've a long list of guys" in case a scholarship opens up, so maybe there are some contingency plan grad transfers? It is pretty late in the game though, so options could be slim, so maybe we do just bank it or more likely get a little bit of positive publicity from giving it to a walk-on for a year.

Pickings were slim in the grad transfer market to begin with.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does Marcus Fuller ever have any breaking news about the gophers?

Does Marcus Fuller ever have any breaking news about the gophers?

Never. Nearly every Grad transfer is used to a ton of playing time so that is always the largest selling point, then stepping up to a winning program or going home. This seems to be a two horse race.

Tough to start at Zaga but a lock to be first off the bench for a serious final 4 contender.. no established friends or family on team or nearby gotta move to twice in ten months ....if he is sold on the gophs being a top 25ish team then they become the logical choice balancing likelihood of starting, playing at home in front of and or with friends and family ,for theteam he grew up being a big fan of,good shot of dancing,, and not having to pack up and move twice in ten months...Xavier friends with assistant coach, solid looking team that is seriously rebuilding, playing for rookie d1 head coach and having to move twice in 10 months....

Colo st was never the clear fav.. Ben Johnson never recruited or coached geno...just another de guy...

I don’t know why Xavier is even in this, unless something is going on under the table. They are not the Xavier of the last 4-6 years. Their roster just substantially turned over, their head coach left, and their recruiting class is nothing special. Their new HC has zero years experience. If his relationship with Johnson isn’t that close, it makes no sense whatsoever to go there.

The one thing I do wonder is if BJ helped him hatch this grad transfer plan in the first place (looking at credits etc) while BJ was still here. Several reports have referred to a “plan” in place for a while.

I don’t know why Xavier is even in this, unless something is going on under the table. They are not the Xavier of the last 4-6 years. Their roster just substantially turned over, their head coach left, and their recruiting class is nothing special. Their new HC has zero years experience. If his relationship with Johnson isn’t that close, it makes no sense whatsoever to go there.

The one thing I do wonder is if BJ helped him hatch this grad transfer plan in the first place (looking at credits etc) while BJ was still here. Several reports have referred to a “plan” in place for a while.

And Charlie said the Zags don't have a scholarship. If that's true... What is the decision in all of this? Gophers can be really good!

The kid has got to do what’s best for him and his family. Enough of this doing favors for guys he used to know (Colorado, Xavier). The Gophers are the logical choice. It was his dream school growing up, his parents would finally get to see him play and there should be plenty of playing time, player friendly style of play, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Charlie said the Zags don't have a scholarship. If that's true... What is the decision in all of this? Gophers can be really good!

Gonzaga has two open scholarships

I don’t really get the draw of Xavier so much...Minnesota makes sense as its hometown, he’d play a big role & they have a chance to be good while Gonzaga makes sense as it is probably his best chance at a deep tourney run with the possibility of playing in a Final Four in Minneapolis.

Tough to start at Zaga but a lock to be first off the bench for a serious final 4 contender.. no established friends or family on team or nearby gotta move to twice in ten months ....if he is sold on the gophs being a top 25ish team then they become the logical choice balancing likelihood of starting, playing at home in front of and or with friends and family ,for theteam he grew up being a big fan of,good shot of dancing,, and not having to pack up and move twice in ten months...Xavier friends with assistant coach, solid looking team that is seriously rebuilding, playing for rookie d1 head coach and having to move twice in 10 months....

Is he sure to start here ? That could be a problem for IW. How come he did not draw more interest ? Very few power 5 offers.

and a starting guard coming off shoulder surgery

It's reasonable to say MN and Gonzaga are level in terms of need and ability. However, Gonzaga has a clear path to the NCAAs and just depends on how well they gel and how each player develops determines tourney success.

MN has to endure 18 game attrition of B1G and most times have not made it to the end.

even worse, 20 this coming year.
oops, at least 21
I'd rather play in the Big Ten than the WCC. ARiad game in February in Madison, Bloomington, East Lansing etc is way better than a trip to Pepperdine or Pacific

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Big 10 is definitely way better than the WCC but this year Gonzaga does play one of their more difficult non-conference schedules with trips to North Carolina, Creighton, neutral site vs Tennessee, Washington, Texas A&M, Maui Invitational (Duke, Auburn, Arizona, etc) there is also talk of adding another top opponent like Nevada or another Top 25 Team so despite the WCC being worse than the Big10 the Zags will have a pretty good schedule.

I'd rather play in the Big Ten than the WCC. ARiad game in February in Madison, Bloomington, East Lansing etc is way better than a trip to Pepperdine or Pacific

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

or playing in front of 12,000 instead of 4,000

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How bad would it look if Kare11 botches another one of these where will he commit things?

How bad would it look if Kare11 botches another one of these where will he commit things?

+1000

they can't be this stupid at Kare11 can they? Guessing this is their "makeup" over the Quinn Carroll thigh touching debacle.

Zags board poster comments that it's interesting that Gonzaga board has him coming to Minnesota and Minnesota board has him going to Gonzaga.

Baby Shaver with a useless interview of Crandall on KARE 11.

You got to think that he’s at least seriously considering us if he hasn’t announced yet

You got to think that he’s at least seriously considering us if he hasn’t announced yet

He may like the attention. Making up for what he didn’t get the first time around.

I read it as Charlie saying Colorado state didn’t have any open scholarships not Gonzaga. For the record I don’t know who does or doesn’t personally just that the gophers do.

Shooter was talking about Colorado St. when he said they have no open scholarships.

Zags board poster comments that it's interesting that Gonzaga board has him coming to Minnesota and Minnesota board has him going to Gonzaga.

This is interesting. I’ll speculate that all the speculation isn’t coming from too close to Geno’s camp. Maybe there is hope after all!

Top Bottom