Geno Crandall

I don't know how you could read this anyway other than Stockman is leaving to make room from Crandall. I think the "Reid Travis" nugget is just to not appear like Crandall was a done deal before something was announced with Stockman.

I have no idea how Crandall's game will translate to the B1G, but I am encouraged that he shot over 50% from the field in both his Sophomore and Junior seasons and improved his 3 pt% to 41.7% as a Junior. Defensively, I am encouraged by his ability to average right around 2 steals a game for his entire career. To me, more efficient shooting and the ability to create more turnovers on defense were two of the biggest needs for this team. Crandall, on paper at least, seems like he could really help in both areas. I also really like the idea of Isaiah having to compete for the point guard spot as opposed to just having it handed to him. The biggest concern with Crandall would be his turnovers at over 3 per game, which gives him a less than stellar assist to turnover ratio.

Looking at his individual game logs, it's very tough to get a read on how his game will translate to the high major level: He had rough games as a Junior @Nebraska and @Creighton, but was fantastic at Gonzaga (28 pts, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals also SEVEN turnovers). As a Sophomore, he was mostly solid at Iowa (again a huge turnover game with 5, but had 4 assists, 3 steals and was 5-11 from the field) and had a nice performance in the NCAA tournament against Arizona (5-9 from the field, 6 assists,. 2 steals). So overall, a mixed bag against high majors with a couple really high turnover games

He was alright vs NDSU & the rest of the Big Fluffy Conference , less so against SDSU, 7 TOs against Zaga, Horrible at Creighton he had 3 points on 1-9 shooting that game. Gophers should stay away, the dude is a me first cocky player who excels vs lesser competition.

Gophers shouldn't want to hurt their team chemistry with this guy, sorry. Heck in 3 straight games about garbage montana , montana st and Idaho State he had 9 points in each game . underwhelming at best.

here's the game logs in a junior year... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3153373/geno-crandall ewww.

He was alright vs NDSU & the rest of the Big Fluffy Conference , less so against SDSU, 7 TOs against Zaga, Horrible at Creighton he had 3 points on 1-9 shooting that game. Gophers should stay away, the dude is a me first cocky player who excels vs lesser competition.

Gophers shouldn't want to hurt their team chemistry with this guy, sorry. Heck in 3 straight games about garbage montana , montana st and Idaho State he had 9 points in each game . underwhelming at best.

here's the game logs in a junior year... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3153373/geno-crandall ewww.

He lit up Gonzaga for 28 points, 4-7 form 3, had 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals.

I'm sensing some bias here.

No Bias. Numbers don't lie. and I'd be more worried about his attitude, but if you like a guy that scored 3 points in a game then 6 in a game vs Idaho and 9 in a game then go for it! I'm a dual Gopher/Bison fan, always have been, watched Kevin Mchale at the Barn and Miles Tarver and Russ Archambault ;)

No Bias. Numbers don't lie. and I'd be more worried about his attitude, but if you like a guy that scored 3 points in a game then 6 in a game vs Idaho and 9 in a game then go for it! I'm a dual Gopher/Bison fan, always have been, watched Kevin Mchale at the Barn and Miles Tarver and Russ Archambault ;)

The fact that you point out his 7 turnovers against Gonzaga but ignore the fact that he put up 28, 5, 5, and 3 while shooting 56% against them proves that you aren't thinking objectively.

Agreed. Crandall has interest from not just MN but top 20 teams like Gonzaga and Xavier. If he sucked, they wouldn't be calling about his availability.

His turnovers were high because his team sucked. Same reason why Masons numbers were poorer last year. Rest of the team was below par.

I'm giddy thinking about adding geno to a solid, HM squad.

Agreed. Crandall has interest from not just MN but top 20 teams like Gonzaga and Xavier. If he sucked, they wouldn't be calling about his availability.

His turnovers were high because his team sucked. Same reason why Masons numbers were poorer last year. Rest of the team was below par.

I'm giddy thinking about adding geno to a solid, HM squad.

Gonzaga & Xavier interest ? are we sure about that? his dad is all over the minnesota coaches, practically begging pitino to take him.

Gonzaga & Xavier interest ? are we sure about that? his dad is all over the minnesota coaches, practically begging pitino to take him.

Making posts like this and saying you aren't biased reminds me of a 5 year old telling their parent they didn't do something after they just watched them do it.

Former NBA guard Dan Dickau refers to Crandall as an “under the radar NBA prospect” 8 minute mark during the Gonzaga game broadcast..full Gonzaga game is still up on YouTube...Gophs, Zags, Xavier will all be happy to have him...Quick dribble drive going left or right is his top asset..one of the best 6’3 kids in the NCAA at that... efficient scorer ,not selfish, more than capable of cleaning up turnovers and shooting free throws a bit better....Was always assigned to defend other teams top perimeter scorer as well as run the point and lead team in scoring...Very much held his own in pro am vs both jones brothers last year...dad wants gophs...geno gophs or zaga...Travis is not going anywhere that might play him at the 5

Until stockman left, geno actually had visits lined up to both Xavier and Gonzaga. But hey...whatever

Uh-huh. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

It's nice to know you have such concern for the well-being of the Gophers and their team chemistry. It sounds very sincere.

He will be depth at PG, backing up IW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geno will start where ever he ends up...will get a nba g league contract...was only d1 player in nation to average over 16pts, 2 steals shoot over 50% last season ....year before same deal only d1 player to average over 15 points , over 2 steals and shoot over 50%

Geno will start where ever he ends up...will get a nba g league contract...was only d1 player in nation to average over 16pts, 2 steals shoot over 50% last season ....year before same deal only d1 player to average over 15 points , over 2 steals and shoot over 50%

he's the next Allen Iverson except he loves to practice and has a better shot. kidding aside, injuries have killed us at guard the last two years. Akeem's achilles, Pree's shins, Nate's hips. would be good to have a healthy body, especially someone with proven skills.

I think it is wise to show some caution because all of these transfers are coming from programs who had terrible seasons. That is not always a good thing.

Geno Twitter Watch: He’s recently followed or been followed by coaches from Gonzaga, Xavier and Minnesota.

Well anybody have an idea about what he's waiting for? Admissions? Are they still working out the details? Will he not be formally committing until he's completed his credits or made more progress? Is he still considering other schools?

The longer we wait the more nervous I get.

Well anybody have an idea about what he's waiting for? Admissions? Are they still working out the details? Will he not be formally committing until he's completed his credits or made more progress? Is he still considering other schools?

The longer we wait the more nervous I get.

I think he said he is announcing his decision on the 4th. I've also heard he has some credits to take care of.

Word from UND is geno has to pound out 19 credits this summer....could be a not eligible till 2nd semester risk.

Word from UND is geno has to pound out 19 credits this summer....could be a not eligible till 2nd semester risk.

THE SCOUT! If that's the case, we can't risk that. I have to think/hope that Pitino knows exactly what he's going to do with the scholarship prior to the Stockman news.

Go Gophers!!

19 summer credits? Is that even possible? Maybe things have changed since I was there in the early 2000's, but I though most summer classes were 2-3 credits.

Students are often limited to a max of 1 credit per week of summer session.

Looks like being a grad transfer was not in his ultimate plans, to be that far away from graduating. That is a lot of gym classes...lol.

Top Bottom