Looking like three new bowl games in 2020. One at Wrigley

Going from memory here, it was something like the offense would always be going the same direction on the field -- there wasn't enough space for two complete endzones, so who ever is on offense is always going to the right.

Very Close,
the right field wall was too close for safety, they tried adding something like a 2 foot deep padding but the NCAA still said no, still unsafe, so they played toward the third base dugout

They should consider having a DQ Blizzard Bowl at Wrigley. I'd rather see B1G teams go bowling in places that are sunny an warm. For goodness sake, why not consider US Bank Stadium and put it indoors? Dilly Dan can have a new career as the face of the Dilly Bar.

I've advocated for a DQ blizzard bowl here at USBS2016 BLIZZARD BOWL.jpg bowl 2016 USBS.jpg

I get that a Bowl at Wrigley will be easy to get to for most B1G teams, but I have no desire to sit outside in Chicago at a stadium that is not meant for football (and likely has terrible sight-lines) for a 6th place B1G vs. 5th place whatever conference around Christmas/New Year's Day time frame. Whoever thought Chicago would be a more desirable location than San Francisco should be fired. Minneapolis with its indoor stadium makes way more sense. Or should we put it at Target Field instead? :)

I get that a Bowl at Wrigley will be easy to get to for most B1G teams, but I have no desire to sit outside in Chicago at a stadium that is not meant for football (and likely has terrible sight-lines) for a 6th place B1G vs. 5th place whatever conference around Christmas/New Year's Day time frame. Whoever thought Chicago would be a more desirable location than San Francisco should be fired. Minneapolis with its indoor stadium makes way more sense. Or should we put it at Target Field instead? :)

Basically, it's the Pinstripe Bowl, only flip New York for Chicago. The novelty of the baseball stadium just kind of makes it something more interesting. Remember, bowl game attendance isn't super great, but TV still does pretty well, even for the mid-tier bowls. I think TV viewers would be interested in watching a game that's being played at Wrigley, and TV is what drives things.

If plans work, I'd probably drive down for the game & spend a few days in Chicago if the Gophs are in it....

Santa Clara /= San Francisco.

While the idea of not having to take the Purple line all the way to Evanston for a sparsely-attended local Gopher game is intriguing, I think I'll root for making a Florida bowl and leaving this one for Rutgers.

Even my favorite neighborhood stadium isn't enough to make a late December tilt against Wake Forest with .500 on the line a must-attend event.

So, do we want to send 5-7 teams to "punishment bowls"?

Wrigley would be fun to pre-game at Murphy's or the Cubby Bear. I'd probably just stay there during the game too.

I'm all for having another bowl game to watch.
Hanging around the relatives during the holidays, it's far better to have a football game to watch than to have to listen about your wife's aunt talk about her cat's vet bill.

Top Bottom