Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Results 346 to 358 of 358
  1. #346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    That’s correct. And they are free to leave as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Show me where they are trying to do that in the modern age. The civil war was nearly 170 years ago. That is irrelevant.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk


  2. #347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    This is part of the GOP’s effort to “Make America Great Again.”

    This tactics are how the minority has decided 2 of the last 5 Presidential elections and what folks (BLM) should be most concerned about. The GOP is using these type of tactics to hold onto power as demographics change.

    The GOP is using voter suppression to influence elections and should be THE major concern of minority groups.

    Check out this article from USA TODAY:

    Supreme Court says states can remove voters who skip elections, ignore warnings

    https://usat.ly/2sXnE4I




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Electoral votes decides the next president not popular vote. 304 electoral votes was not the minority.

    Trump won get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    "Anybody can be a Viking fan, dad. It takes someone special to be a Gopher fan" .....Quote from my Son.

  3. #348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by West Fargo Gopher Fan View Post
    Electoral votes decides the next president not popular vote. 304 electoral votes was not the minority.

    Trump won get over it.
    That doesn't change the fact that Clinton got more votes than Trump.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I did read it. It's author is just upset the Rs don't get enough "credit" for Lincoln and writes an alternate history of what happened in the 60s. Perhaps LBJ was more of a racist than Goldwater (or Goldberg for Sporty) but policy wise LBJ was in their corner and Goldwater wasn't. Meanwhile AL MS and company knew that "states rights" meant Goldwater would preserve their racism and voted accordingly.

    It's arguments are no more persuasive than yours. If the Dems began declining in the 30s why didn't those states turn red until the 60s? If working class whites stayed with the Dems until the 90s and blacks all started voting Dem in the 60s how is that Alabama and Mississippi weren't blue through the 70s and 80s?

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Don’t make fun of my deficiencies!
    https://goo.gl/images/SYZyRH


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by West Fargo Gopher Fan View Post
    Electoral votes decides the next president not popular vote. 304 electoral votes was not the minority.

    Trump won get over it.
    I’ll wait for you to catch up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    Show me where they are trying to do that in the modern age. The civil war was nearly 170 years ago. That is irrelevant.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    So you barged into a discussion on Lincoln, made a point, and then when I rebutted, say it's irrelevant and old. Good post.

  7. #352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    Section 2 is completely wrong here. States are not free to leave. That's simply what he wants because that's his idology. Desiring it to be so doesn't make it so.
    Of course they are, it's not my wish or ideology. it's the truth, but it's a longer discussion.

  8. #353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    Me. If a rich racist said come here n1gg€r so I can give you $1,000,000.
    My response would be......when?
    I would be happily tolerant of a racist. I more than understand why someone wouldn’t be as sensitive to my situation as I. Just don’t pretend like my “situation” doesn’t exist.

    Washington Redskin is a horrible racist name for a sports team; no I don’t lose one ounce of sleep over it. I have things far more important to ME to be concerned about.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ok, so you are tolerant of racist. and don't have a leg to stand on accusing others of the same.

  9. #354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    Oh contraire Fred Astaire; I can argue while never being denied services of any sort, never having to worry about where the “colored” bathroom is, nor about if my relative was breaking the law by marrying a white person, what neighborhood I can buy a home in or be legally discriminated for a job.

    You have your position because you wouldn’t be effected. We are talking about these issues because racism still exists not because it wasn’t made better by civil rights.......it was.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have my position because it is the right and moral position, and because it works best for all parties. 2 of your examples are violations of equality under the law, not private discrimination.

  10. #355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I did read it. It's author is just upset the Rs don't get enough "credit" for Lincoln and writes an alternate history of what happened in the 60s. Perhaps LBJ was more of a racist than Goldwater (or Goldberg for Sporty) but policy wise LBJ was in their corner and Goldwater wasn't. Meanwhile AL MS and company knew that "states rights" meant Goldwater would preserve their racism and voted accordingly.

    It's arguments are no more persuasive than yours. If the Dems began declining in the 30s why didn't those states turn red until the 60s? If working class whites stayed with the Dems until the 90s and blacks all started voting Dem in the 60s how is that Alabama and Mississippi weren't blue through the 70s and 80s?

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    He's not upset. He's stating that Republican policies as relates to blacks, are absolutely consistent for well over 100 years. Democrat policies were consistent prior to the 60s, and then changed. The Dems don't like their past, so somehow they just blamed it on Republicans.

    So LBJ abolished the racism of AL and MS? So it's gone now, we can stop talking about it 50 years later?

    You are just not addressing the very detailed argument he laid out. One of which is that of the 20 southern democrats who voted against CRA, only 1 switched parties. you may recall that you said they all did. But whatever, it's there for those who wish to be educated. Howie the Ron Paul voter would like to preserve the Democrat narrative for some reason.

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Ok, so you are tolerant of racist. and don't have a leg to stand on accusing others of the same.
    Under the right conditions; absolutely. Can you give an example that would compare with civil rights legislation?

    2nd amendment folks are watching folks die on the regular so they can keep their big guns.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    So you barged into a discussion on Lincoln, made a point, and then when I rebutted, say it's irrelevant and old. Good post.
    Is it or isn't it irrelevant? Hint....it is irrelevant. The point you were trying to make about states being able to choose who to associate with? Guess what? They choose to associate with United States. That means they abide by the rules set by the federal government.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    I have my position because it is the right and moral position, and because it works best for all parties. 2 of your examples are violations of equality under the law, not private discrimination.
    S2..........you actually believe the moral ground is the Civil Rights Act should not have passed?

    I understand your position is the owner of a private business should be able to choose who he wants to do business with. Believe it or not at face value I can agree with that. Today; not then. If you don’t want my business, I don’t want to give you my business. Today, I have options. 54 years ago in certain parts of the country that would not have been the case. Today I would welcome knowing who doesn’t want my business.

    We are far more equal today than 54 years ago. Today we (country) are in a much better situation to grant folks the right to do business with whomever they choose. 54 years ago some folks had to lose some of their rights so others could gain rights. Taking away someone’s right to discriminate was a small price to pay then but I would happily restore that right today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •