Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86
  1. #1

    Default Gopher Baseball 2019

    Now that the fun-filled 2018 is behind us let’s start to look ahead to the 2019 team. Here are some things to discuss and keep an eye on.
    1. Schedule – Thanks to the Final Four being played at USB Stadium the stadium is unavailable for baseball for the entire spring. This means no DQ Classic, no non-conference home games, NOTHING. Word is the club will be heading west to a Pac12/BigTen challenge type of deal again where we will likely see Oregon State. It sounds like a road trip to Pepperdine might be in the works, which is a GREAT college baseball venue. Anyone else have any tidbits on potential schedules?
    2. Replacing the infield – We lose Coffey, Vavra and Petterson in our infield. Kozicky will likely be given the opportunity to replace Vavra at SS but where to the rest of the pieces get filled?
    3. Rotation – Biggest question of all is whether Reggie Meyer will come back. Based on his selection in the mid 30’s I would say it is more likely than not at this point. The next question is whether they can transition Max Meyer to the rotation and how successful that will be. IMHO, he would have to cut down on the sliders BIG TIME to make that adjustment as that will just tax his arm to death if he’s throwing that pitch 50% of the time (see: Liriano, Fransisco).
    4. Bullpen – Jackson Rose is graduating and assuming Max goes to the rotation, what becomes of the rest of the bullpen? Is Schultz given the chance to be the midweek starter or does he continue in middle relief or does he actually go to closer?
    Feel free to discuss anything else.


  2. #2

    Default

    2) My guess right now would be that Kozicky goes back to short, and Wassel/Wilhite take the other two open infield positions. As for outfield, Riley Smith definitely grabs one of those spots and the other one is up for grabs. Also, don't discount the possibility of a transfer in/grad transfer.

    3) Reggie Meyer is definitely coming back. And I'd say either Schulze/Meyer becomes the 3rd starter and the other one assumes the closer role.

    4) The 'pen will also be solid and deep with the setup guys probably being Fasching, Duffy, Gus Radel, Lackney, Culliver. I could see Culliver being the midweek starter or Lackney. I think with more solid pitching this year Stevenson might not get too much action next year unless he improves his command alot.

  3. #3

    Default

    Reggie is not coming back. Meyer was given an offer he couldn't refuse by the Rangers last night.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldfan24 View Post
    Reggie is not coming back. Meyer was given an offer he couldn't refuse by the Rangers last night.
    Really? You have inside info? That would be pretty surprising and a little disappointing.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenTheGreek View Post
    Now that the fun-filled 2018 is behind us let’s start to look ahead to the 2019 team. Here are some things to discuss and keep an eye on.
    1. Schedule – Thanks to the Final Four being played at USB Stadium the stadium is unavailable for baseball for the entire spring. This means no DQ Classic, no non-conference home games, NOTHING. Word is the club will be heading west to a Pac12/BigTen challenge type of deal again where we will likely see Oregon State. It sounds like a road trip to Pepperdine might be in the works, which is a GREAT college baseball venue. Anyone else have any tidbits on potential schedules?
    2. Replacing the infield – We lose Coffey, Vavra and Petterson in our infield. Kozicky will likely be given the opportunity to replace Vavra at SS but where to the rest of the pieces get filled?
    3. Rotation – Biggest question of all is whether Reggie Meyer will come back. Based on his selection in the mid 30’s I would say it is more likely than not at this point. The next question is whether they can transition Max Meyer to the rotation and how successful that will be. IMHO, he would have to cut down on the sliders BIG TIME to make that adjustment as that will just tax his arm to death if he’s throwing that pitch 50% of the time (see: Liriano, Fransisco).
    4. Bullpen – Jackson Rose is graduating and assuming Max goes to the rotation, what becomes of the rest of the bullpen? Is Schultz given the chance to be the midweek starter or does he continue in middle relief or does he actually go to closer?
    Feel free to discuss anything else.
    1. Think we played in the PAC 12/ Big Ten Challenge in Surprise, AZ a couple years ago with Utah and Oregon State could be that thing again? I put it in the other thread but Long Beach State came to Siebert a couple of years ago I would think we would be in line for a return trip soon.
    2. Should be some good competition. With a few of the freshmen like Berghammer, Wilhite, and Raabe having a chance. Riley Smith was also originally a 2nd baseman maybe he gets a look there and Jack Wassel should be a factor somewhere.
    3. I would be pretty surprised if Reggie didn't come back but who knows. I think Max will transition well into a starter. Might be able to pick up a good changeup from somebody with the collegiate national team this summer and if he does good luck. Should be a lot of pitching depth.
    4. I think Schulze will probably have a similar role as this season. Gus Radel could be an option at closer if he is healthy. Guys like Thoresen, Culliver, Duffy, and Horton should get some good experience this summer in the northwoods and I'd expect all to have a little bigger role next season.

  6. #6

    Default

    The Gophers will have a great/tough schedule for the 2019 season that looks like this at this point.
    Surprise, AZ
    Oregon State, Purdue, Gonzaga

    Dallas, TX
    Dallas Baptist 3 games

    Raleigh, NC
    North Carolina State 3 games

    Seattle, WA (Safeco Field)
    Washington, Gonzaga, Oregon State, Washington

    Long Beach State, CA
    Long Beach State 3 games

    Malibu, CA
    Pepperdine

    Big Ten Away
    Penn State, Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern

    Big Ten Home
    Nebraska, Ohio State, Illinois, Maryland

    The Gophers will also play North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Milwaukee, and Nebraska-Omaha at Siebert

    The Gophers will also host Oklahoma in a non-conference weekend series.

  7. #7

    Default

    Reggie will not return and it will be announced soon I believe.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldfan24 View Post
    The Gophers will have a great/tough schedule for the 2019 season that looks like this at this point.
    Surprise, AZ
    Oregon State, Purdue, Gonzaga

    Dallas, TX
    Dallas Baptist 3 games

    Raleigh, NC
    North Carolina State 3 games

    Seattle, WA (Safeco Field)
    Washington, Gonzaga, Oregon State, Washington

    Long Beach State, CA
    Long Beach State 3 games

    Malibu, CA
    Pepperdine

    Big Ten Away
    Penn State, Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern

    Big Ten Home
    Nebraska, Ohio State, Illinois, Maryland

    The Gophers will also play North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Milwaukee, and Nebraska-Omaha at Siebert

    The Gophers will also host Oklahoma in a non-conference weekend series.
    That is a great schedule

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldfan24 View Post
    The Gophers will have a great/tough schedule for the 2019 season that looks like this at this point.
    Surprise, AZ
    Oregon State, Purdue, Gonzaga

    Dallas, TX
    Dallas Baptist 3 games

    Raleigh, NC
    North Carolina State 3 games

    Seattle, WA (Safeco Field)
    Washington, Gonzaga, Oregon State, Washington

    Long Beach State, CA
    Long Beach State 3 games

    Malibu, CA
    Pepperdine

    Big Ten Away
    Penn State, Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern

    Big Ten Home
    Nebraska, Ohio State, Illinois, Maryland

    The Gophers will also play North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Milwaukee, and Nebraska-Omaha at Siebert

    The Gophers will also host Oklahoma in a non-conference weekend series.
    Man that is a really challenging schedule. Would imagine they would still be working on seeing if they can fit in some midweek games as well.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldfan24 View Post
    Reggie will not return and it will be announced soon I believe.
    Well if he is gonna go the Rangers must've went way higher than I would've expected for a 38th round pick. Especially when you consider you would think he is likely to have another pretty good year if he returned and could be a little higher priority for teams.

  11. #11

    Default

    I heard Vavra is coming back. He's absolutely upset about the contract the Rockies are offering him.

  12. #12

    Default

    Looks like Rob is still putting some work in.


  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden04 View Post
    I heard Vavra is coming back. He's absolutely upset about the contract the Rockies are offering him.


  14. #14

    Default

    Like I said, Vavra is steamed about the contract the Rockies offered him!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln gopher View Post
    That is a great schedule
    when will they put some dates with this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •