Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

The season comes to an end. Had a chance to jump out to an early lead but typical of most of the season just couldn't convert. Couple big middle innings put the Gophers down. Gophers battled back with a 5 run 7th but just couldn't get all the way back.

Just a year that never quite seemed to click. Meyer's injury, missed chances and probably biggest whatever the problem was with Fredrickson. I guess a good sign that a 4th place finish and trip to the Big10 semifinals seems like such a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodburyTim View Post
    Just a year that never quite seemed to click. Meyer's injury, missed chances and probably biggest whatever the problem was with Fredrickson. I guess a good sign that a 4th place finish and trip to the Big10 semifinals seems like such a disappointment.
    Agreed I think it shows this program is kinda back to what it has been for most of 14's career. I remember back to 2015 I think when we missed the Big Ten Tournament and were like 10 games under .500 and think how quickly that has been turned around. Hopefully we never have to go back to that type of season.
    With all the struggles this year I do think that if you would've had a healthy Max Meyer and Sam Thoresen available at the beginning of the B1G Tournament the Gophers would've won the auto bid and be headed somewhere next weekend as a very dangerous team.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy Gopher View Post
    Agreed I think it shows this program is kinda back to what it has been for most of 14's career. I remember back to 2015 I think when we missed the Big Ten Tournament and were like 10 games under .500 and think how quickly that has been turned around. Hopefully we never have to go back to that type of season.
    With all the struggles this year I do think that if you would've had a healthy Max Meyer and Sam Thoresen available at the beginning of the B1G Tournament the Gophers would've won the auto bid and be headed somewhere next weekend as a very dangerous team.
    The pitching was a pleasant surprise given all the injuries. The pen was awesome down the stretch. I sure thought Fredrickson's problem was physical, but he sure had control problems. It would be nice to know what is up with him. The hitting was the biggest problem in my opinion. A team .250 something batting average isn't going to win many conference championships. Clutch hits were a rarity.

Watching the draft tonight got me thinking of Gophers past and I remembered a couple of pages after Reggie Meyer got drafted on whether he would stay or go after getting draft in the 30 something round and getting $5,000.00 from the Rangers. So I didn't remember any follow up on here, so I looked him up and it looked like the Rangers released him after 15 or so pretty bad innings last summer. Then as far as I can find he is out of baseball and didn't pitch this year at all. Anybody here know anything more? Did he get hurt? Otherwise it would be pretty sad if he didn't come back for his senior year and he didn't end up even playing baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodburyTim View Post
    Watching the draft tonight got me thinking of Gophers past and I remembered a couple of pages after Reggie Meyer got drafted on whether he would stay or go after getting draft in the 30 something round and getting $5,000.00 from the Rangers. So I didn't remember any follow up on here, so I looked him up and it looked like the Rangers released him after 15 or so pretty bad innings last summer. Then as far as I can find he is out of baseball and didn't pitch this year at all. Anybody here know anything more? Did he get hurt? Otherwise it would be pretty sad if he didn't come back for his senior year and he didn't end up even playing baseball.
    I didn't understand why he left at the time and still don't. A $5,000 signing bonus is nothing for the MLB. I have no idea if Reggie got hurt or anything. Guys drafted in rounds 30+ without a standout skill are pretty replaceable so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they cut him after a rough start although that would be a pretty short leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy Gopher View Post
    I didn't understand why he left at the time and still don't. A $5,000 signing bonus is nothing for the MLB. I have no idea if Reggie got hurt or anything. Guys drafted in rounds 30+ without a standout skill are pretty replaceable so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they cut him after a rough start although that would be a pretty short leash.
    It is one thing to not be on your team of what would ave been your senior year if you are off making a few dollars trying to work your way up a farm system, but man it would hurt if you left and then come your senior season you were already out of baseball.

Two Gophers drafted in the first 10 rounds.

Erstad resigns at Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    Erstad resigns at Nebraska.
    Why? I don't follow Nebraska baseball closely.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmacygopher View Post
    Why? I don't follow Nebraska baseball closely.
    Spend more time with family, kids are growing up.

Two more Gophers selected so far today as the draft winds down. Good for Nick Lackney to get an opportunity after having his best season. Eli Wilson will have a decision to make but I'd think there is a pretty good chance he signs.

College World Series is set. The conference breakdown is 4 from the SEC, 2 ACC, and 1 each from the Big Ten and Big 12. Good to see a B1G team back and Michigan has been playing their best baseball the last few weeks they could make a little run.
    Michigan vs. #8 Texas Tech
    #4 Arkansas vs. Florida State
    #2 Vanderbilt vs. #7 Louisville
    Auburn vs. #6 Mississippi State

Purdue coach is on the move. Know they have a couple 2020 commits that the Gophers showed interest. Maybe they will open things back up.