5 commitments in 1 weekend? What do Gopherholers think of that?!

Admittedly - none of this really matters all that much, but I just wanted to point out that we are getting penalized a bit for giving a scholarship to the #1 ranked long-snapper in the county. If you take his low rating out, our average is .8538.

Fleck made it clear from Day 1 he was going to take his time doing it his way. He got it done big time at Western Michigan over time. I'm impatient but I try my best to relax enjoy. I like his recruits for 2019 and if the majority are his kind of players we will see the positive results on the field. If our OL is improved enough and our RBs churn out the yards there is no problem with our Freshman QBs having a good season.

The difference, I think, is WMU was rated as having the 7th best MAC class in 2013, 1st in 2014, 2nd in 2015, and 1st in 2016. The spread in star average amongst MAC teams probably isn’t as great as in the Big Ten but they were equivalent or a little better than their conference competition on avg particularly by 2016. Not only that, but the late qualifier Corey Davis was an enormous difference maker on their offense from his freshman year on to the 2016 13 win campaign.

The challenge for PJ and Co will be scheming and developing to compete with and defeat teams with equivalent or better talent (or even worse). They will have to evolve and develop just like the players.

Were some people suggesting that every single recruit would be a 4 or 5 star? If so, I missed that.

Nice qualifier...some have posted recruiting classes in the top 20 from Fleck...to do so, half the recruiting class needs to be 4/5*.

We beat out a lot of other P5 teams for the recruits we got commitments from this weekend. Maybe not quite the top 25 teams that we beat out for Bargy, Nubin, Daniels, Harris, Clark, etc, but still impressive nonetheless. Take a look at DeAngelo Griffin. To pull a DT out of Georgia that has 9 other Power 5 offers is impressive. Other than Elijah Teague last year, I don't remember ever getting a DT with that many offers.

We got a commitment from Solomon Brown and he didn't even bother visiting Iowa even though they were heavily after him. 9 P5 offers, including 4 from the B1G.

No one is going to ever get that excited about flipping a kid from South Florida, but they were 10-2 last year and ranked in the top 25. And Robinson is from Florida.

and now, an actual post from me. accept no substitute.

In order for the Gophers to improve as a program, they need better players. I think we can all agree on that.

here is how the 5 commits are ranked nationally at their positions.

Brown, 5-11 and 170 pounds, is the 110th-ranked cornerback in the Class of 2019 in the 247Sports.com composite.
Griffin, 6-1 and 295, is ranked 85th nationally at defensive tackle.
Willis, 6-1½ and 202, is ranked 54th nationally at outside linebacker.
Gordon, 5-11 and 214, is ranked 71st nationally at outside linebacker.
Robinson, 6-3 and 181, is ranked 127th nationally at safety.

That's pretty good. But, are they good enough to really move the needle and get the Gophers to a point where they are a legitimate B1G title contender? Is the 54th best linebacker in the country going to make a measurable difference in the program? According to 247, his overall national ranking is 784. I don't see a billboard with "Gophers recruit the 784th best player in the country" selling a ton of tickets.

so, it falls on the Coaches to get these athletes to play up to (or exceed) their potential, and design schemes that allow them to make a difference.

Because, in the B1G, most of the teams the Gophers play will have recruits who are ranked just as highly, or better, than the Gophers' recruits.

Agreed. As Brew demonstrated, coaching and development really matters. Definitely getting higher rated players as a whole last year and are on the way there this year, than in recent past years.

I believe people expected Fleck to consistently bring in 4 and 5 star recruits rather than the Kill/Limegrover/Claeys 3 star specials.
If Fleck is just going to get 3 stars, then we should expect the same results as the Kill regime. Correct?

How’s the fishing today?

Is that what you called floundering? You must have to be good at catching flounderers.

I believe people expected Fleck to consistently bring in 4 and 5 star recruits rather than the Kill/Limegrover/Claeys 3 star specials.
I'm not aware of anyone who thought that (I think you're exaggerating), and if they did, they weren't being realistic. I do think Fleck will bring in more 4 and 5 stars than the previous staff though.

If Fleck is just going to get 3 stars, then we should expect the same results as the Kill regime. Correct?
Even if results were based purely off recruiting rankings and nothing else, this still wouldn't make much sense. There are tons of 3 stars out there. If a recruiting service gives two players a 3 star rating, that does not mean they view them as the same level or think they will make equal impacts at the next level.

I'm not aware of anyone who thought that (I think you're exaggerating), and if they did, they weren't being realistic. I do think Fleck will bring in more 4 and 5 stars than the previous staff though.

In 6 years of Kill/Claeys recruiting, they were only able to land two 247 composite 4*s, Jeff Jones and Carter Coughlin.

Fleck is working on his third recruiting class, and has signed three 4*s, and currently has a verbal commit from another, so far.

We just landed 5 commitments in one day, with all of them being from talent rich states such as Florida, Georgia, and Ohio. All of those recruits also have multiple P5 offers. Yet the usual suspects will continue to be negative on this board.

Even if results were based purely off recruiting rankings and nothing else, this still wouldn't make much sense. There are tons of 3 stars out there. If a recruiting service gives two players a 3 star rating, that does not mean they view them as the same level or think they will make equal impacts at the next level.
When will Fleck be bringing them in? This leads to the purpose of this thread. Should we be excited at the 3 star recruits when 4 and 5 star recruits are necessary for large scale success? Will we ever be better than what the Kill regime and Mason regime reached? Do these specific recruits promise a greater success that we can be excited about?
I'm reserving excitement for when these kids actually play for the Gophers. I hope they all have stellar careeers. Until then, they are just statistics on paper.

It won't happen immediately. They've got to get better players each cycle and begin winning more games, and then do it consistently. Eventually, at least I am hoping they'll start to get serious interest from more four stars (and eventually land their first legitimate 5 star).

Realistically, we are looking at at a four-year or five-year cycle. We've got to hold back our frustrations and be patient.

I'm reserving excitement for when these kids actually play for the Gophers. I hope they all have stellar careeers. Until then, they are just statistics on paper.

Go for it. But doesn't it strike you as odd to be commenting on a recruiting thread when you've already declared that you refuse to bubble over with excitement until they actually play? This is where we talk about future possibilities, not present certainties.

Here's what you're going to be waiting for: One more year of high school ball, one redshirt year (for many of them), one year of sparse freshmen play (for some of them). That's a long time to contain yourself.

TWT - time will tell. Last recruiting cycle this staff finished 43 in Rivals and 37 in 24/7 composite rankings...will be interesting to see how that compares once all the dust settles next Feb

When will Fleck be bringing them in?
2018:
https://247sports.com/player/curtis-dunlap-83972
https://247sports.com/player/daniel-faalele-46037283
https://247sports.com/player/rashod-bateman-46040957

2019:
https://247sports.com/player/jason-bargy-88122

This leads to the purpose of this thread. Should we be excited at the 3 star recruits when 4 and 5 star recruits are necessary for large scale success? Will we ever be better than what the Kill regime and Mason regime reached? Do these specific recruits promise a greater success that we can be excited about?

Again, you seem to be treating all 3 star prospects the same. They're not. If they are rated in the top 750 or so overall and have multiple P5 offers, then I'll be excited. If they're rated outside the top 1000 and don't have other P5 offers, I probably won't be excited (although it's obviously still possible they'll end up being really good).

Fleck isn't half as good as Jerry in the Xs and Os so Fleck better be twice as good as Jerry in recruiting.

Go for it. But doesn't it strike you as odd to be commenting on a recruiting thread when you've already declared that you refuse to bubble over with excitement until they actually play? This is where we talk about future possibilities, not present certainties.

Here's what you're going to be waiting for: One more year of high school ball, one redshirt year (for many of them), one year of sparse freshmen play (for some of them). That's a long time to contain yourself.
I'm responding to the OP and whether we should be excited over 3 star recruits. The only way we can be excited is to see what they ultimately develop into once they are here and get their turn to play. But, just judging on star level, which many people complained how Kill and company failed, I ask if we should be excited at 3 star commitments. That answer is...no. We should be excited at 4 and 5 star recruits that commit. With 3 stars, I'm thankful we got them, but they don't particularly excite my interest.

Dont feed the trolls

Your timetable provides 3yrs for people to continue to rip on recruiting and feed the PJ lovers vs haters ongoing debate

If PJ fails, they can claim to have been proven right

If PJ is successful, everyone will be happy and nobody will remember those who continue to stir the pot on this board

Can't we just be happy that we have a bunch of commits this early in the process?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2018:
https://247sports.com/player/curtis-dunlap-83972
https://247sports.com/player/daniel-faalele-46037283
https://247sports.com/player/rashod-bateman-46040957

2019:
https://247sports.com/player/jason-bargy-88122

Again, you seem to be treating all 3 star prospects the same. They're not. If they are rated in the top 750 or so overall and have multiple P5 offers, then I'll be excited. If they're rated outside the top 1000 and don't have other P5 offers, I probably won't be excited (although it's obviously still possible they'll end up being really good).
Okay, so your line in the sand is top 1000. Good to know.

Fleck isn't half as good as Jerry in the Xs and Os so Fleck better be twice as good as Jerry in recruiting.

Yes, I remember all those posts and threads praising Matt Limegrover for running Kill's tremendous offense.

Nice qualifier...some have posted recruiting classes in the top 20 from Fleck...to do so, half the recruiting class needs to be 4/5*.

Your obsession with how the class recruiting rankings for Fleck and his staff are portrayed is quite something.

In 6 years of Kill/Claeys recruiting, they were only able to land two 4*s, Jeff Jones and Carter Coughlin.

Fleck is working on his third recruiting class, and has signed three 4*s, and currently has a verbal commit from another, so far.

We just landed 5 commitments in one day, with all of them being from talent rich states such as Florida, Georgia, and Ohio. All of those recruits also have multiple P5 offers. Yet the usual suspects will continue to be negative on this board.

Lumping Kill and Claeys is disingenuous at best. We know why you continue to do it.

I duno, Kill teams went RTUM plenty of times.

My opinion, Jerry and staff prepared and coached the best they could with what they had selected and almost got there. In the end, having a team of MAC players wasn't enough in the Big Ten. hypothetically, If i am given a roster of players and get to select a coach and staff for a single game and can choose Jerry or PJ. I'll take Jerry every time.

Your obsession with how the class recruiting rankings for Fleck and his staff are portrayed is quite something.

Really. If that's your perception of obsession, then most out here are obsessed with it. How many pages are the recruiting class threads? Merely pointing out facts. Look at the top 20 classes from the past 5-6 years and tell me this is not the case.

I've posted numerous times that his 2018 class was very good and went well beyond my expectations (in the mid 40s), which I was told were much too low.

Top Bottom