5 commitments in 1 weekend? What do Gopherholers think of that?!

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Seems pretty impressive to me. Fleck is making Minnesota a place to be, letting guys know commit now or this spot may be gone. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll give a SON response:

Look, no one knows how good these players are. They may be good, or maybe not. I won’t hold my breath. We’ll know more in 4-5 years and can evaluate them then.

Guaranteed to be correct...

The Greatest Show On Earth! PJ Fleck the circus emcee.

Getting recruits committed and signed is only have the battle. Will they be able to start or stick for four/five years is another matter. We may have duds. We may have ones that are as advertised. We may have low Three Stars or PWOs develop and shine. Even get drafted. IMHO, most signed players are a fifty-fifty proposition at the start.

6 if you count the PWO punter. I expect some more with another evaluation camp coming. Also, none of the RBs committed so hopefully PJ & Crew can land 2 of those.

Look, no one knows how good these players are. They may be good, or maybe not. I won’t hold my breath. We’ll know more in 4-5 years and can evaluate them then.

Distance second to an actual post from SON. Richard.

I think this is great! When you look at all the offers out there, yes you better take the offer if one is offered. Fleck wants you, but if you can't commit, he'll give it to someone who wants it. The key is going to be that its going to be a long 6 months before they are on the signed line. Having said that the players should realize that Fleck has accepted their commitment and hopefully they will honor it.

Interesting that 22 of last year’s class were rated better than the 10th best so far in this class.

Fair enough.

Interesting that 22 of last year’s class were rated better than the 10th best so far in this class.

So our recruiting is getting worse????

Lots of talent committed today! Guys that commit early make me excited about their commitment to the vision!

Yes, surprising I'd say. Put another way...last year 19 out of our 24 guys were rated 0.8500 or higher.

This year, so far out of 16 commits... 7 are rated 0.8500 or higher. Leaving 9 guys out of our 16 (or the majority) who are rated lower between/among 84, 83, 82, 78.

That doesn't seem like how it is supposed to be trending is it? Yes, some will be re-evaluated and may rise up but..

Put another way, the highest ranked team with an average rating under 0.8500 was Washington State at #45 with 27 guys, Indiana at #48 with 26 guys 84.91, Purdue #50 with 25 guys at 84.89

We presently have an average of 84.98...with 24,25 guys in December that would put us near the #50 slot

and now, an actual post from me. accept no substitute.

In order for the Gophers to improve as a program, they need better players. I think we can all agree on that.

here is how the 5 commits are ranked nationally at their positions.

Brown, 5-11 and 170 pounds, is the 110th-ranked cornerback in the Class of 2019 in the 247Sports.com composite.
Griffin, 6-1 and 295, is ranked 85th nationally at defensive tackle.
Willis, 6-1½ and 202, is ranked 54th nationally at outside linebacker.
Gordon, 5-11 and 214, is ranked 71st nationally at outside linebacker.
Robinson, 6-3 and 181, is ranked 127th nationally at safety.

That's pretty good. But, are they good enough to really move the needle and get the Gophers to a point where they are a legitimate B1G title contender? Is the 54th best linebacker in the country going to make a measurable difference in the program? According to 247, his overall national ranking is 784. I don't see a billboard with "Gophers recruit the 784th best player in the country" selling a ton of tickets.

so, it falls on the Coaches to get these athletes to play up to (or exceed) their potential, and design schemes that allow them to make a difference.

Because, in the B1G, most of the teams the Gophers play will have recruits who are ranked just as highly, or better, than the Gophers' recruits.

Seems pretty impressive to me. Fleck is making Minnesota a place to be, letting guys know commit now or this spot may be gone. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my question: Are all these guys 3 star recruits?
I have nothing against 3 star recruits, but I thought the Fleckites said he'd be bringing in the 4 and 5 star recruits.
In any case, I hope this class becomes a great team when they are Gophers.

and now, an actual post from me. accept no substitute.

In order for the Gophers to improve as a program, they need better players. I think we can all agree on that.

here is how the 5 commits are ranked nationally at their positions.

Brown, 5-11 and 170 pounds, is the 110th-ranked cornerback in the Class of 2019 in the 247Sports.com composite.

That's pretty good. But, are they good enough to really move the needle and get the Gophers to a point where they are a legitimate B1G title contender? Is the 54th best linebacker in the country going to make a measurable difference in the program? According to 247, his overall national ranking is 784. I don't see a billboard with "Gophers recruit the 784th best player in the country" selling a ton of tickets.

so, it falls on the Coaches to get these athletes to play up to (or exceed) their potential, and design schemes that allow them to make a difference.

Because, in the B1G, most of the teams the Gophers play will have recruits who are ranked just as highly, or better, than the Gophers' recruits.

Maybe Fleck should've went by 247 rankings and offered the 53 linebackers ranked higher.

I have nothing against 3 star recruits, but I thought the Fleckites said he'd be bringing in the 4 and 5 star recruits.

These guys appear to be solid 3 Stars. Maybe even upgraded in reclassification before NSD. Some have potential to be 4 Stars before their career is done.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/Visits

Debating recruiting is dumb. Unless a guy has offers from Alabama and Ohio State he’s probably not a sure thing, and unless a guy’s only other offer is from Midwest Valley Tech CC he’s probably not going to suck.

We won’t have any answers for quite some time, so why be negative? We beat out other Big 10 and SEC schools and that’s good enough for me. Again, if we were beating out Mankato and Bemidji I’m all for being negative.

AT LEAST WE CARE ABOUT THIS STUFF. PJ’s obviously got some real estate in some people’s heads, which means he’s doing his job.

When you look at the ratings below sometimes I wonder how they determine that someone is really ranked 110th, 85th, 54th, 71 th, & 127th? None of these guys play in the same conference that I'm aware of, on the same team etc. So How can they compare 110th guy compared to the guy that is rated 70th for his position? For the future you're dealing with coaching, growth of size, and perhaps better nutrition at the U. As a result I'm not going to get hung up on stars at this point let alone their ranking at their position.

Brown, 5-11 and 170 pounds, is the 110th-ranked corner back in the Class of 2019 in the 247Sports.com composite.

So they're better than the 3 star recruits that Kill, Limegrover and Claeys brought in?

I think it's starting to show that PJ brings in more talented recruits. More schools seem to want these guys. Question now is if he has the scheme to make these players work, or if he's just hoping to plug guys in. Kill had a scheme that made diamonds out of the rough...he likely even recruited for that scheme.

Right now, IMO, there's the question of whether PJ has an actual vision for these guys, or if he just wants them cause guys like Michigan or tO$U or whatever upper tier program wanted them. I'm patient, I give it til year 4 to see what he's doing, and see if he has a vision for these recruits, rather than just throwing darts.

Things don't need to be black or white, they can be gray. And I'm sitting in the gray area with PJ right now.

Fleck made it clear from Day 1 he was going to take his time doing it his way. He got it done big time at Western Michigan over time. I'm impatient but I try my best to relax enjoy. I like his recruits for 2019 and if the majority are his kind of players we will see the positive results on the field. If our OL is improved enough and our RBs churn out the yards there is no problem with our Freshman QBs having a good season.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Camps haven't even happened yet so many of these guys haven't been looked at or rated for quite some time now. Never really know how it will shake out until this winter.

Were some people suggesting that every single recruit would be a 4 or 5 star? If so, I missed that.

Were some people suggesting that every single recruit would be a 4 or 5 star? If so, I missed that.
I believe people expected Fleck to consistently bring in 4 and 5 star recruits rather than the Kill/Limegrover/Claeys 3 star specials.
If Fleck is just going to get 3 stars, then we should expect the same results as the Kill regime. Correct?

Top Bottom