Georgia DT DeAngelo Griffin commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received their fourth commitment of the day as Cordele, Ga. Defensive tackle DeAngelo Griffin chose Minnesota. He had offers from Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Indiana, Maryland, South Carolina, Arkansas and North Carolina. Griffin is the No. 85 defensive tackle nationally and holds a three-star ranking, according to 24/Sports.

At 6-foot-1, 295-pound defensive tackle, Griffin adds additional depth to the defensive line class. He is the fifth interior defensive tackle in the 2019 class and the sixth defensive lineman overall. Griffin’s physicality jumps out when you fire up his tape. His upper body strength allows him to shed blocks and throw linemen out of the way. It’s probably the strength of Griffin’s skill-set because it is what makes him so disruptive.

He uses his hands really well to engage, pull away and get to the running back or quarterback. Griffin is a pure run defender and wins by using his blend of light feet and power. He is quite athletic for a player with his size and has underrated pass rushing skills as well. You’ll notice his pursuit skills when things break down and players get loose in space. Griffin could play a little three-technique, but also has enough power in his skill-set to line up as a one-technique. He consistently made plays in the backfield, recording a high volume of tackles for loss. Griffin will be a fun player to watch develop in the future.

His addition moves the Gophers 2019 class to No. 18 nationally and No. 4 in the Big Ten, according to 24/7 Sports rankings.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/5438323/57d9611f11fa7f7d98aaa9cd' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Gophers have received their fourth commitment of the day as Cordele, Ga. Defensive tackle DeAngelo Griffin chose Minnesota. He had offers from Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Indiana, Maryland, South Carolina, Arkansas and North Carolina. Griffin is the No. 85 defensive tackle nationally and holds a three-star ranking, according to 24/Sports.

At 6-foot-1, 295-pound defensive tackle, Griffin adds additional depth to the defensive line class. He is the fifth interior defensive tackle in the 2019 class and the sixth defensive lineman overall. Griffin’s physicality jumps out when you fire up his tape. His upper body strength allows him to shed blocks and throw linemen out of the way. It’s probably the strength of Griffin’s skill-set because it is what makes him so disruptive.

He uses his hands really well to engage, pull away and get to the running back or quarterback. Griffin is a pure run defender and wins by using his blend of light feet and power. He is quite athletic for a player with his size and has underrated pass rushing skills as well. You’ll notice his pursuit skills when things break down and players get loose in space. Griffin could play a little three-technique, but also has enough power in his skill-set to line up as a one-technique. He consistently made plays in the backfield, recording a high volume of tackles for loss. Griffin will be a fun player to watch develop in the future.

His addition moves the Gophers 2019 class to No. 18 nationally and No. 4 in the Big Ten, according to 24/7 Sports rankings.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/5438323/57d9611f11fa7f7d98aaa9cd' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't see him listed yet, and technically Gophs rank did go up with the other commits today due to the number of total commits, their AVG has dropped. When he gets added, it will drop a bit more.

I'm thinking that one group of men who will benefit from all the new defensive lineman are the offensive lineman. Practicing against better competition should improve their technique.

He moves really well for a big guy. I can see him at DE in short yardage situations. Welcome aboard.

I don't see him listed yet, and technically Gophs rank did go up with the other commits today due to the number of total commits, their AVG has dropped. When he gets added, it will drop a bit more.

And it'll probably go back up after these recruits are re-evaluated, which will happen several more times.

How often do the gophers pull a Defensive Tackle from SEC country when they have three SEC offers plus one from home state GT? Regardless of his rank this is a great get.

How often do the gophers pull a Defensive Tackle from SEC country when they have three SEC offers plus one from home state GT? Regardless of his rank this is a great get.

Not the point I was making. Never said he wasn't a good pick up.

D lineman are the hardest position to recruit (on D). Good get! We've been woefully undermanned at that position for years.

Not the point I was making. Never said he wasn't a good pick up.

I recommend on better articulating your points then. I have no idea what you were trying to say, other than you conceptually understand the mathematical principle of averages. Maybe wait to post next time until you’re clear on what you’re trying to say?

Nice pick up for the gophs. Loving the DT attention - always been hard for us to recruit that position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend on better articulating your points then. I have no idea what you were trying to say, other than you conceptually understand the mathematical principle of averages. Maybe wait to post next time until you’re clear on what you’re trying to say?

Nice pick up for the gophs. Loving the DT attention - always been hard for us to recruit that position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was very clear, to the point that I put in bold what I was referring to...Griffin was not listed and his addition didn't move the gophers class up, it had already happened due to the other additions from today.

Maybe you could use your own advice...

Top Bottom