Ohio LB Donald Willis commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Sunday has been a busy day for the Gophers as they received three commitments from recruiting targets. The latest is Garfield Heights, OH linebacker Donald Willis. He chose Minnesota over offers from Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Iowa State and West Virginia. He is currently the No. 60 ranked outside linebacker in the country and holds a three-star rating, according to 24/7 Sports.

The 6-foot-1, 202-pound linebacker is a rangy linebacker with excellent quickness to react and close on plays. His athleticism shows up when you watch his ability to cover effectively and move sideline-to-sideline. He was effective when asked to blitz and got after the quarterback consistently because of his blend of speed and power. Willis’ pursuit skills really stand out as well. He can run down plays from the opposite side of the field and shows off his speed in those situations. His athletic testing would certainly have him in the above average area of many significant categories, including broad/vertical jumps and the 40-yard dash. He joins fellow linebacker James Gordon, who committed just a few hours before him. Gordon likely projects as an inside linebacker, while Willis can play on the outside.

The Gophers have currently secured 14 commitments for the 2019 class. The group ranks No. 20 in the country and No. 4 in the Big Ten, according to 24/7 Sports recruiting rankings.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7551823/5a007017b023300a2470731d' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one kind of takes the sting out of the Ahmad McCullough decommit as they seem to have similar skill sets. I suspect that he'll have to bulk up some, but he looks to have some nice upside.

This guy looks good (with the caveat always being that I watched the first three minutes of his highlight film). Speed can make up for so many other things. He looks like the kind of athlete whose offer list will swell substantially.

I always like highlight videos where it looks like they're playing place ... that I watched high school football at.

I like how he doesn't give up on some of those plays. Looks like he has some nice cover skills too.

Top Bottom